Using the geometrical optics approximation, a theoretical prediction of the deflection angle correlation of a laser beam propagating in a hot turbulent jet is found as a functional form of the turbulent spectrum of the refractive index fluctuations. By applying the modified Von Karman model and Tatarskii model, the structure coefficient of the refractive index and the deflection angle correlation of the laser beam are then computed by means of a numerical procedure. Experiments to measure the structure coefficient are performed. A good agreement between the experimental results obtained and the theoretical predictions demonstrates the validity of the theoretical approach.
2. Chernov, , L. A., , Wave Propagation in a Random Medium,, McGraw-Hill, , New York, 1960..
3. Frehlich, , R., , "Simulation of laser propagation in a turbulent atmosphere," Applied Optics, , Vol. 39, No. 3, , 393-397, 2000.
4. Gomes, , C. , M. Z. A. Abkadir, and , "Protection of naval systems against electromagnetic e®ect due to lightning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 333-349, 2011.
5. Wei, , H.-Y., Z.-S. Wu, and Q. Ma, "Log-amplitude variance of laser beam propagation on the slant path through the turbulent atmosphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 108, 277-291, 2010.
6. Guo, , J., , Z. Xu, C. Qian, and W.-B. Dou, , "Design of a microstrip balanced mixer for satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 115, 289-301, 2011.
7. O'Halloran, , M., , M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 107, , 331-348, 2010.
8. Zhu, , G. K. , M. Popovic, and , "Comparison of radar and thermoacoustic technique in microwave breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 1-14, 2011.
9. ConceicÄao, , R., , M. O'Halloran, M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Numerical modelling for ultra wideband radar breast cancer detection and classification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 145-171, 2011.
10. Alshehri, , S. A., , S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmood, and Z. Awang, "Experimental breast tumor detection using Nn-based UWB imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 111, 447-465, 2011.
11. Pemha, , E. , E. Ngo Nyobe, and , "Genetic algorithm approach and experimental con¯rmation of a laser-based diagnostic technique for the local thermal turbulence in a hot wind tunnel jet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 28, 325-350, 2011..
12. Tatarskii, , V. I., "The effects of the turbulence atmosphere on wave propagation," US Dept. of Commerce, National Technical Information Service TT-68-50464, , 1971.
13. Consortini, A. , F. Rigal, and , "Fractional moments and their usefulness in atmospheric laser scintillation," Pure Applied Optic,, Vol. 7, 1013-1032, 1998.
14. Ishimaru, , A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media,, Vol. 2, , Academic Press, , New York, , 1978.
15. Consortini, , A., K. A. O'Donnell, and , "Beam wandering of thin parallel beams through atmospheric turbulence," Waves in Random Media,, Vol. 3, , S11-S28, , 1991.
16. Consortini, , A., , Y. Y. Sun, and G. Conforti, , "A mixed method for measuring the inner scale of atmospheric turbulence," Journal of Modern Optics, , Vol. 37, No. 10, , 1555-1560, 1990..
17. Gulich, , D., , G. Funes, L. Zunino, D. G. Perez, and M. Garavaglia, , "Angle-of-arrival variance's dependence on the aperture size for indoor convective turbulence,"," Optics Communications, , Vol. 277, No. 2, , 241-246, , 2007..
18. Alim, E. Ngo Nyobe, E. Pemha, and , "Theoretical prediction and experimental validation of the angle-of-arrival probability density of a laser beam in a strong plane-flame turbulence," Optics Communications, , Vol. 283, No. 9, 1859-1864, 2010.
19. Pemha, , E., , B. Gay, and A. Tailland, , "Measurement of the di®usion coe±cient in a heated plane airstream," Physics of Fluids A, Vol. 5, No. 6, 1289-1295, , 1993.
20. Ngo Nyobe, E. , E. Pemha, and , "Shape optimization using genetic algorithms and laser beam propagation for the determination of the diffusion coe±cient in a hot turbulent jet of air," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 4, 211-221, 2008.
21. Ngo Nyobe, E. , E. Pemha, and , "Propagation of a laser beam through a plane and free turbulent heated air flow; determination of the stochastic characteristics of the laser beam random direction," and some experimental results, Vol. 53, 31-53, 2005.
22. Hona, , J., , E. Ngo Nyobe, and E. Pemha, "Experimental technique using an interference pattern for measuring directional °uctuations of a laser beam created by a strong thermal turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 84, No. 306, 289, 2008.
23. Born, M., E. Wolf, and , Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation, Interference and Di®raction of Light, 7th Ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, , 1999..
24. Gagnaire, , A., A. Tailland, and , "Interferometrical setup for the study of thermic turbulence in a plane air stream," Proceedings of SPIE,, Vol. 136, , 69-73, 1997.
25. Kolmogorov, , A. N., "The local structure of turbulence in incompressible viscous °uids for very large Reynolds number," Turbulence Classic Papers on Statistical Theory, S. K. Friedlander and L. Topper, Eds., Wiley-Interscience,, 151-155, 1961.
26. Abramowitz, , A. , I. A. Stegun, and , A Handbook of Mathematical Functions, , Dover, New York, , 1964..
27. Davis, , P. J. , P. Rabinowitz, and , "Methods of Numerical Integration," Academic Press, , 1975.
28. Weiss, A., "Determination of thermal stratification and turbulence of the atmospheric surface layer over various types of terrain by optical scintillometry," Ph.D. Thesis,, No. Swiss, 2002.
29. Meijninger, W. M. L., , "Surface fluxes over natural landscapes using scintillometry," Ph.D. Thesis, Wageningen University, , 2003..