All-dielectric frequency selective surfaces (FSSs) can serve as an alternative to their metallic counterparts when they must operate at very high power, loss must be minimized, or when the surface itself must be low observable. When metals are avoided, there is a weaker interaction with electromagnetic waves and it becomes more difficult to achieve strong suppression in the stop band while also realizing compact size, wide field-of-view or broadband operation. One attractive approach utilizes guided-mode resonance (GMR) as the filtering mechanism, but this phenomenon exhibits several drawbacks that must be overcome for practical application at radio frequencies. This paper introduces the concept of guide-mode resonance for FSSs and describes how they can be made to operate with a dramatically fewer number of periods than conventional GMR devices.
2. Munk, B. A., R. G. Kouyoumjian, and L. Peters, "Reflection properties of periodic surfaces of loaded dipoles," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 19, No. 5, 612-617, 1971.
3. Munk, B., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, 2005.
4. Marouby, E., J. R. Levrel, B. Bougerolles, J. Lenormand, and C. Terret, "On the use of frequency selective surfaces in stealth techniques for aerospace applications," 24th European Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, 585-589, 1994.
5. Genovesi, S. and A. Monorchio, "Low profile array with reduced radar cross section," IEEE URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, 799-802, 2010.
6. Lee, S.-W., "Scattering by dielectric-loaded screen," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 19, No. 5, 656-665, 1971.
7. Pelton, E. L. and B. A. Munk, "A streamlined metallic radome," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 22, No. 6, 799-803, 1974.
8. Raynes, D. L. and J. Delap, "Design of finite array with radome incorporating a frequency selective surface," IEEE 2nd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2007.
9. Agahi, S. and R. Mittra, "Design of a cascaded frequency selective surface as a dichroic subreflector," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 88-91, 1990.
10. Pozar, D. M., "Flat lens antenna concept using aperture coupled microstrip patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 23, 2109-2111, 1996.
11. Jalaly, I. and I. D. Robertson, "RF barcodes using multiple frequency bands," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 139-142, 2005.
12. Wang, L. B., K. Y. See, J. W. Zhang, A. C. W. Lu, and S. T. Ng, "Full-wave modeling and analysis of screen printed EMI shield," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1348-1351, 2010.
13. Pugh, S., "Using FSS in HPM applications," MS Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2010.
14. Magnusson, R. and S. S. Wang, "New principle for optical filters," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 9, 1022-1024, 1992.
15. Tibuleac, S. and R. Magnusson, "Reflection and transmission guided-mode resonance filters," J. Opt. Soc. Am A, Vol. 14, No. 7, 1617-1626, 1997.
16. Boonruang, S., A. Greenwell, and M. G. Moharam, "Multiline two-dimensional guided-mode resonant filters," Appl. Opt., Vol. 45, No. 22, 5740-5747, 2006.
17. Boyce, R. R. and R. K. Kostuk, "Investigation of the effect of finite grating size on the performance of guided-mode resonance filters," Appl. Opt., Vol. 39, No. 21, 3649-3653, 2000.
18. Magnusson, R. and M. Shokooh-Saremi, "Physical basis for wideband resonant reflectors," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 5, 3456-3462, 2008.
19. Rayleigh, L., "Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A,", Vol. 79, 399-416, 1907.
20. Rumpf, R. C., "Design and optimization of nano-optical elements by coupling fabrication to optical behavior," Ph.D. Thesis, University of Central Florida, 236, 2006.
21. Balanis, C., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, 323-325, 1989.
22. Hao, J. and L. Zhou, "Electromagnetic wave scatterings by anisotropic metamaterials: Generalized 4x4 transfer-matrix method," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 094201, 2008.
23. Grann, E. B., M. G. Moharam, and D. A. Pommet, "Artificial uniaxial and biaxial dielectrics with use of two-dimensional subwavelength binary gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, No. 10, 2695-2703, 1994.
24. Moharam, M. G., E. B. Grann, D. A. Pommet, and T. K. Gaylord, "Formulation for stable and efficient implementation of the rigorous coupled-wave analysis of binary gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 12, No. 5, 1068-1076, 1995.
25. Magnusson, R. and S. S. Wang, "New principle for optical fiters," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 61, No. 9, 60-84, 1992.