This research introduces compressed sensing (CS) principle into inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imaging of non-uniform rotation targets, and high azimuth resolution can be achieved with limited number of pulses. Firstly, the sparsity of the echoed signal of radar targets with non-uniform rotation in certain matching Fourier domain is analyzed. Then the restricted isometry property (RIP) and incoherence of partial matching Fourier matrices are checked, following which an ISAR imaging method based on CS for both random sparse aperture and short aperture cases is proposed. In particular, considering the dependence of the sparse dictionary on the relative rotation parameter, a parameter estimation method by the optimal search in fractional Fourier domain is presented. Simulation experiments verify the effectiveness as well as superiority of the proposed imaging method over traditional methods in terms of imaging performance.
2. Donoho, D. L., "Compressed sensing," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1289-1306, 2006.
3. Candes, E. and M. Wakin, "An introduction to compressive sampling," IEEE Sig. Proc. Mag., Vol. 25, No. 2, 21-30, 2008.
4. Ender, J. H. G., "On compressive sensing applied to radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 90, No. 5, 1402-1414, 2010.
5. Potter, L. C., E. Ertin, J. T. Parker, and M. Cetin, "Sparsity and compressed sensing in radar imaging," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 62, 1006-1020, 2010.
6. Wei, S.-J., X.-L. Zhang, and J. Shi, "Linear array SAR imaging via compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 299-319, 2011.
7. Wei, S.-J., X.-L. Zhang, J. Shi, and G. Xiang, "Sparse reconstruction for SAR imaging based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 63-81, 2010.
8. Chen, J., J. Gao, Y. Zhu, W. Yang, and P. Wang, "A novel image formation algorithm for high-resolution wide-swath spaceborne SAR using compressed sensing on azimuth displacement phase center antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 2012.
9. Li, J., S. Zhang, and J. Chang, "Applications of compressed sensing for multiple transmitters multiple azimuth beams SAR imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 259-275, 2012.
10. Zhang, L., M. D. Xing, C. W. Qiu, J. Li, and Z. Bao, "Achieving higher resolution ISAR imaging with limited pulses via compressed sampling," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 567-571, 2009.
11. Zhang, L., et al., "Resolution enhancement for inversed synthetic aperture radar imaging under low SNR via improved compressive sensing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 10, 3824-3838, 2010.
12. Rao, W., G. Li, X. Q. Wang, and X.-G. Xia, "ISAR imaging of maneuvering targets with missing data via matching pursuit," Proceedings of IEEE Radar Conference, 124-128, 2011.
13. Quan, Y. H., L. Zhang, R. Guo, M. D. Xing, Z. Bao, "Generating dense and super-resolution ISAR image by combining bandwidth extrapolation and compressive sensing," SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2158-2169, 2011.
14. Zhao, G. H., Z. Y. Wang, Q. Wang, G. M. Shi, and F. F. Shen, "Robust ISAR imaging based on compressive sensing from noisy measurements," Signal Processing, Vol. 92, No. 1, 120-129, 2012.
15. Li, J., M. D. Xing, and S. J. Wu, "Application of compressed sensing in sparse aperture imaging of radar," Proceedings of 2nd Asian-Paci¯c Conf. on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR'09), 1119-1119, Oct. 2009.
16. Raghu, G. R. and F. Masoud, "ISAR imaging in sea clutter via compressive sensing," International Conference on Waveform Diversity and Design Conference (WDD), 200-205, Aug. 2010.
17. Raghu, G. R., C. C. Victor, and L. Ronald, "A greedy approach for sparse angular aperture radar," Proceedings of IEEE Radar Conference, 673-677, 2010.
18. Fu, Y. W., J. M. Hu, and X. Li, "ISAR imaging of uniform accelerative rotating targets based on chirp-Fourier transform," Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 33, No. 12, 2608-2612, 2011.
19. Yin, Z. P., "Applications of fractional Fourier transform to inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging processing,", Ph.D. thesis, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, 2008.
20. Liu, A. F., X. H. Zhu, J. H. Lu, and Z. Liu, "Imaging in inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) based on discrete matching Fourier transform," Acta Armamentarii, Vol. 25, No. 4, 458-462, 2004.
21. Huang, Y. J., M. Cao, Y. W. Fu, Y. N. Li, and W. D. Jiang, "ISAR imaging of equably accelerative rotating targets based on matching Fourier transform," Signal Processing, Vol. 25, No. 6, 864-867, 2009.
22. Cao, M., "Research on high resolution radar imaging technology for space targets,", Ph.D. thesis, National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, 2009.
23. Liu, J. H., H., X. Li, Y. L. Qin, and Z. W. Zhuang, "ISAR imaging of non-uniform rotation targets via compressed sensing based on sparsity in matching fourier domain," 1st International Workshop on Compressed Sensing applied to Radar, May 2012.
24. Wang, S. L., S. G. Li, J. L. Ni, and G. Y. Zhang, "A new transform --- Match Fourier transform," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 29, No. 3, 403-405, 2001.
25. Wang, S. L., "A new method for radar signal processing-matched Fourier transform,", Ph.D. thesis, Xidian University, Xi'an, 2003.
26. Applebaum, L., S. Howard, S. Searle, and R. Calderbank, "Chirp sensing codes: Deterministic compressed sensing measurements for fast recovery," Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Vol. 26, No. 2, 283-290, 2009.
27. Patel, V. M., G. R. Easley, D. M. Healy, and R. Chellappa, "Compressed synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 244-254, 2010.
28. Duarte, M. F., Y. C. Eldar, and R. Chellappa, "Structured compressed sensing: From theory to applications," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 59, No. 9, 4053-4085, 2011.
29. Saxena, R. and K. Singh, "Fractional Fourier transform: A novel tool for signal processing," J. Indian Inst. Sci., Vol. 85, 11-26, 2005.
30. Gerald, C. F. and P. O. Wheatley, Applied Numerical Analysis, 7th Ed., Pearson/Addison-Wesley, 2004.
31. Mohimani, H., M. Babaie-Zadeh, and C. Jutten, "A fast approach for overcomplete sparse decomposition based on smoothed l0 norm," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 57, No. 1, 289-301, 2009.