A parallel implementation of a quasi-static Partial Element Equivalent Circuit (PEEC)-based solver that can handle electromagnetic problems with non-orthogonal structures is presented in this paper. The solver has been written in C++ and employs GMM++ and ScaLAPACK computational libraries to make the solver fast, efficient, and adaptable to current parallel computer systems. The parallel PEEC-based solver has been tested and studied on high performance computing clusters and the correctness of the solver has been verified by doing comparisons between results from orthogonal routines and also another type of electromagnetic solver, namely FEKO. Two non-orthogonal numerical test cases have been analysed in the time and frequency domain. The results are given for solution time and memory consumption while bottlenecks are pointed out and discussed. The benchmarks show a good speedup which gets improved as the problem size is increased. With the capability of the presented solver, the non-orthogonal PEEC formulation is a viable tool for modelling geometrically complex problems.
2. Song, Z. F., D. L. Su, F. Duval, and A. Lous, "Model order reduction for PEEC modeling based on moment matching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 285-299, 2011.
3. Frank, F., M. Zitzmann, G. Steinmair, and R. Weigel, "Methods for circuit-based automotive EMC simulation incorporating VHDL-AMS models," Proc. of Asia-Pacific Symp. on EMC, Singapore, 2008.
4. Thamm, S., S. V. Kochetov, G. Wollenberg, and M. Leone, "PEEC modeling for EMC-relevent simulations of power electronics," Proc. of 17th Int. Conf. on Radioelektronika, Brno, Czech Republic, 2007.
5. De Oliveira, T., J. Guichon, J. Schanen, and L. Gerbaud, "PEEC-models for EMC layout optimization," Proc. of 6th Int. Conf. on Integrated Power Electronics Systems (CIPS), Nüremberg, Germany, 2010.
6. Müsing, A., J. Ekman, and J. W. Kolar, "Efficient calculation of non-orthogonal partial elements for the PEEC method," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1140-1143, Mar. 2009.
7. Antonini, G., A. Orlandi, and A. E. Ruehli, "Analytical integration of quasi-static potential integrals on nonorthogonal coplanar quadrilaterals for the PEEC method," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 44, No. 2, 399-403, 2002.
8. Antonini, G., A. Ruehli, and J. Esch, "Non orthogonal PEEC formulation for time and frequency domain modeling," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Minneapolis, MN, Aug. 2002.
9. Chew, W. C., J. M. Jin, C. C. Lu, E. Michielssen, and J. M. Song, "Fast solution methods in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 533-543, 1997.
10. Engheta, N., W. D. Murphy, V. Rokhlin, and M. S. Vassilou, "The fast multipole method (FMM) for electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 6, 634-641, Jun. 1992.
11. Kapur, S. and D. Long, "IES3: A fast integral equation equation solver for efficient 3-dimensional extraction," Int. Conf. on Computer Aided Design, 448-455, Nov. 1997.
12. Antonini, G., "Fast multipole formulation for PEEC frequency domain modeling," Journal Applied Computat. Electromag. Society, Vol. 17, No. 3, Nov. 2002.
13. Antonini, G., A. Orlandi, and A. Ruehli, "Speed-up of PEEC method by using wavelet transform," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Washington, DC, Aug. 2000.
14. Antonini, G., A. Orlandi, and A. E. Ruehli, "Fast iterative solution for the wavelet-PEEC method," Proc. of the International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Zürich, SW, Feb. 2001.
15. Antonini, G. and A. Orlandi, "Computational properties of wavelet based PEEC analysis in time domain," Proc. of Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Conf, Monterey (CA), USA, Mar. 2000.
16. Antonini, G. and A. E. Ruehli, "Fast multipole method and multifunction PEEC methods," IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol. 2, No. 4, 288-298, Dec. 2003.
17. Daroui, D. and J. Ekman, "Parallel implementation of the PEEC method," Journal Applied Computat. Electromag. Society, Vol. 25, No. 5, 410-422, 2010.
18. Hanawa, T., M. Kurosawa, and S. Ikuno, "Investigation on 3-D implicit FDTD method for parallel processing," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1696-1699, May 2005.
19. Rubinstein, A., F. Rachidi, M. Rubinstein, and B. Reusser, "A parallel implementation of NEC for the analysis of large structures," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, May 2003.
20. Ruehli, A. E., "Inductance calculations in a complex integrated circuit environment," IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 16, No. 5, 470-481, Sep. 1972.
21. Ruehli, A. E. and P. A. Brennan, "Efficient capacitance calculations for three-dimensional multiconductor systems," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 21, No. 2, 76-82, Feb. 1973.
22. Ramo, S., J. R. Whinnery, and T. Van Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, WILEY, 1994.
23. Ruehli, A. E., G. Antonini, J. Esch, J. Ekman, A. Mayo, and A. Orlandi, "Non-orthogonal PEEC formulation for time and frequency domain EM and circuit modeling," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, 167-176, May 2003.
24. Antonini, G., J. Ekman, and A. Orlandi, "Full wave time domain PEEC formulation using a modified nodal analysis approach," Proc. of EMC Europe, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 2004.
25. Ho, C., A. Ruehli, and P. Brennan, "The modified nodal approach to network analysis," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, 504-509, The original MNA paper, Jun. 1975.
26. Antonini, G., J. Ekman, A. Ciccomancini Scogna, and A. E. Ruehli, "A comparative study of PEEC circuit elements computation," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on EMC, Istanbul, Turkey, 2003.
27. Choi, J., J. J. Dongarra, R. Pozo, and D. Walker, "ScaLAPACK: A scalable linear algebra library for distributed memory concurrent computers," Proc. of the Fourth Symp. on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1992.
28. Gratton, S., "Graphics card computing for cosmology: Cholesky factorization," Proc. of IEEE 10th Conf. on Computer and Information Technology, Bradford, UK, 2010.
29. Daroui, D., "Performance of integral equation based electromag- netic analysis software on parallel computer systems,", MS thesis, University of Gothenburg, Feb. 2007.
30. Dongarra, J. J. and D. W. Walker, "The design of linear algebra libraries for high performance computers,", No. ORNL/TM-12404, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA, 1993, citeseer.ist.psu.edu/article/dongarra93design.html..
31. Daroui, D., I. Stevanović, D. Cottet, and J. Ekman, "Bus bar simulations using the PEEC method," Proc. of 26th Int. Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics ACES, Tampere, Finland, 2010.
32. Cottet, D., I. Stevanović, B. Wunsch, D. Daroui, J. Ekman, and G. Anotinini, "EM simulation of planar bus bars in multi-level power converters," Proc. of EMC Europe, Rome, Italy, 2012.
33. FEKO-Electromagnetic simulation software, Available Online: http://www.feko.info., .
34. Harrington, R. F., Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, the method of moments reference, McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1961; New Edition, Krieger, 1982.
35. Helmbold, D. P. and C. E. McDowell, "Modeling speedup (n) greater than n," IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 1, No. 2, 250-256, Apr. 1990.
36. Avinash, S., B. N. Joshi, and A. M. Mahajan, "Analysis of capacitance across interconnects of low-K dielectric used in a deep sub-micron CMOS technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 189-196, 2008.