An accurate and behavioral modeling method of symmetrical T-tree interconnect network is successfully investigated in this paper. The T-tree network topology understudy is consisted of elementary lumped L-cells formed by series impedance and parallel admittance. It is demonstrated how the input-output signal paths of this single input multiple output (SIMO) tree network can be reduced to single input single output (SISO) network composed of L-cells in cascade. The literal expressions of the currents, the input impedances and the voltage transfer function of the T-tree electrical interconnect via elementary transfer matrix products are determined. Thus, the exact expression of the multi-level behavioral T-tree transfer function is established. The routine algorithm developed was implemented in Matlab programs. As application of the developed modeling method, the analysis of T-tree topology comprised of different and identical RLC-cells is conducted. To demonstrate the relevance of the model established, lumped RLC T-tree networks with different levels for the microelectronic interconnect application are designed and simulated. The work flow illustrating the guideline for the application of the routine algorithm summarizing the modeling method is proposed. Then, 3D-microstrip T-tree interconnects with width 0.1 μm and length 3 mm printed on FR4-substrate were considered. As results, very good agreement between the results from the reduced behavioral model proposed and SPICE-computations is found both in frequency- and time-domains by considering arbitrary binary sequence ''01001100" with 2 Gsym/s rate. The model proposed in this paper presents significant benefits in terms of flexibility and very less computation times. It can be used during the design process of the PCB and the microelectronic circuits for the signal integrity prediction. In the continuation of this work, the modeling of clock T-tree interconnects for packaging systems composed of distributed elements using an analogue process is in progress.
2. Schmit, H., D. Whelihan, A. Tsai, M. Moe, B. Levine, and R. R. Taylor, PipeRench: A virtualized programmable datapath in 0.18 micron technology, Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, CICC, 63-66, Oct. 2002.
3. Anjo, K., Y. Yamada, M. Koibuchi, A. Jouraku, and H. Amano, Black-bus: A new data-transfer technique using local address on networks-on-chips, Proceedings of IEEE International conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Systems, Apr. 2004.
4. Capsi, E., M. Chu, R. Huang, J. Yeh, J. Wawrzyne, and A. DeHon, "Stream computations organized for reconfigurable execution (SCORE)," Proceedings of the Field-Programmable Logic and Applications, 605-615, Sep. 2000.
5. http://www.itrs.net/, .
6. Ghoneima, M., Y. Ismail, M. M. Khellah, J. Tschanz, and V. De, "Serial-link bus: A low-power on-chip bus architecture," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2020-2032, Sep. 2009.
7. Veenstra, H. and J. R. Long, "Circuit and interconnect design for RF and high bit-rate applications," Analog and Signal Processing, Ed. by Springer, 2008.
8. Master, P., "The age of adaptive computing Is here," Proceedings of the Field-Programmable Logic and Applications, 1-3, Sep. 2002.
9. Granberg, T., "Handbook of digital techniques for high speed design," Pentrice Hall Modern Semiconductor Design Series, Pentrice Hall, 2004.
10. Bottom, B., "Assembly and packaging white paper on system level integration,", 2009, http://www.itrs.net/papers.html.
11. Buckwalter, J. F., "Predicting microwave digital signal integrity," IEEE Trans. Advanced Packaging, Vol. 32, No. 2, 280-289, May 2009.
12. Carloni, L. P., A. B. Kahng, S. V. Muddu, A. Pinto, K. Samadi, P. Sharma, and , "Accurate predictive interconnect modeling for system-level design," IEEE Tran. VLSI, Vol. 18, No. 4, 679-684, Apr. 2010.
13. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and X.-M. Jiang, "Transient analysis of wire structures using time domain integral equation method with exact matrix elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 281-298, 2009.
14. Celik, M., L. Pileggi, and A. Odabasioglu, IC Interconnect Analysis, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht, Germany, 2002.
15. Deutsch, A., G. V. Kopcsay, P. Restle, G. Katopis, W. D. Becker, H. Smith, P. W. Coteus, C. W. Surovic, B. J. Rubin, R. P. Dunne, T. Gallo, K. A. Jenkins, L. M. Terman, R. H. Dennard, G. A. Sai-Halasz, and D. R. Knebel, "When are transmission-line effects important for on-chip interconnections?," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 45, 1836-1846, Oct. 1997.
16. Bendhia, S., M. Ramdani, and E. Sicard, Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits, Springer, Dec. 2005.
17. Chanodia, I. and D. Velenis, "Parameter variations and crosstalk noise effects on high performance H-tree clock distribution networks," Analog. Integr. Circ. Sig. Process., Vol. 56, 13-21, 2008.
18. Deutsch, A., R. S. Krabbenhoft, K. L. Melde, C. W. Surovic, G. A. Katopis, G. V. Kopcsay, Z. Zhou, Z. Chen, Y. H. Kwark, T.-M. Winkel, X. Gun, and T. E. Standaert, "Application of the short-pulse propagation technique for broadband characterization of PCB and other interconnect technologies," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 52, 266-287, May 2010.
19. Hasan, S., A.-K. Palit, and W. Anheier, "Equivalent victim model of the coupled interconnects for simulating crosstalk induced glitches and delays," Proc. of 13th IEEE Workshop on SPI, May 2009.
20. Hwang, M.-E., S.-O. Jung, and K. Roy, "Slope interconnect effort: Gate-interconnect interdependent delay modeling for early CMOS circuit simulation," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1428-1441, Jul. 2009.
21. Yun, B. and S. S. Wong, "Optimization of driver preemphasis for on-chip interconnects," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2033-2041, Sep. 2009.
22. Ravelo, B., "Delay modelling of high-speed distributed interconnect for the signal integrity prediction," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys., EPJAP, Vol. 57, 1-8, Feb. 2012.
23. Ravelo, B. and L. Rajaoarisoa, "Numerical modeling of high-speed microelectronic interconnects for the signal integrity analysis," International Journal of Emerging Sciences, IJES, Vol. 2, No. 1, May 2012.
24. Cong, J., L. He, C. K. Koh, and P. H. Madden, "Performance optimization of VLSI interconnect layout," Integration VLSI J., Vol. 21, No. 1-2, 1-94, Nov. 1996.
25. Matsutani, H., M. Koibuchi, and H. Amano, "Performance, cost, and energy evaluation of fat H-tree: A cost-efficient tree-based on-chip network," Proc. of IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, Mar. 26-30, 2007.
26. Ye, T. T. and G. De Micheli, "Physical planning for on-chip multiprocessor networks and switch fabrics," Proceedings of the Application-Specific Systems, Architectures and Processors, ASAP, 97-107, Jun. 24-26, 2003.
27., "Circuits multi-projects, multi-project circuits,", http://cmp.imag.fr.
28. Gomez, C., F. Gilabert, M. E. Gomez, P. Lopez, and J. Duato, "Beyond fat-tree: Unidirectional load-balanced multistage interconnection network," Computer Architecture Letters, Vol. 7, No. 2, 49-52, Jul.-Dec. 2008.
29. Li, Xiao-Chun, M. Jun-Fa, and T. Min, "High-speed clock tree simulation method based on moment matching," PIERS Proceedings, Vol. 1, No. 2, 142-146, 2005.
30. Hungwen, L., S. Chauchin, and L. J. Chien-Nan, "A tree-topology multiplexer for multiphase clock system," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 56, No. 1, 124-131, Feb. 2009.
31. Rakuljic, N. and I. Galton, "Tree-structured DEM DACs with arbitrary numbers of levels," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 52, No. 2, 313-322, Feb. 2010.
32. Bo, G. F. and P. Ampadu, "On hamming product codes with type-II hybrid ARQ for on-chip interconnects," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2042-2054, Sep. 2009.
33. Voutilainen, M., M. Rouvala, P. Kotiranta, and T. Rauner, "Multi-gigabit serial link emissions and mobile terminal antenna interference," 13th IEEE Workshop on SPI, May 2009.
34. Ravelo, B., "Neutralization of LC- and RC-disturbances with left-handed and NGD effects," Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, META'12, Apr. 19-22, 2012.
35. Eudes, T. and B. Ravelo, "Cancellation of delays in the high-rate interconnects with UWB NGD active cells," Applied Physics Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, 81-88, Nov. 2011.
36. Ravelo, B. and Y. Liu, "Microwave/digital signal correction with integrable NGD circuits," IEEE International Microwave Symposium, IMS, Jun. 17-22, 2012.
37. Elmore, W. C., "The transient response of damped linear networks," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 55-63, Jan. 1948.
38. Awwad, F. R., M. Nekili, V. Ramachandran, and M. Sawan, "On modeling of parallel repeater-insertion methodologies for SoC interconnects," IEEE Tran. CAS I, Vol. 55, No. 1, 322-335, Feb. 2008.
39. Ligocka, A. and W. Bandurski, "Effect of inductance on interconnect propagation delay in VLSI circuits," Proc. of 8th Workshop on SPI, 121-124, May 9-12, 2004.
40. Maichen, W., "When digital becomes analog-interfaces in high speed test," 12th IEEE Workshop on SPI, May 2008.
41. Chan, P. K. and M. D. F. Schlag, "Bounds on signal delay in RC mesh networks," IEEE Trans. CAD, Vol. 8, 581-589, 1989.
42. Horowitz, M. A., "Timing models for MOS pass networks," Proc of IEEE ISCAS, 198-201, 1983.
43. Standley, D. and J. L. Wyatt, "Improved signal delay bounds for RC tree networks," VLSI Memo, No. 86-317, May 1986.
44. Jain, N. K., V. C. Prasad, and A. B. Bhattacharyyaa, "Delay-time sensitivity in linear RC tree," IEEE Trans. CAS, Vol. 34, No. 4, 443-445, 1987.
45. Vandenberghe, L, S. Boyd, and A. El Gamal, "Optimizing dominant time constant in RC circuits," IEEE Trans. CAD, Vol. 17, No. 2, 110-125, Feb. 1998.
46. Marinov, C. A. and A. Rubio, "The energy bounds in RC circuits," IEEE Trans. CAS I, Vol. 46, No. 7, 869-871, Jul. 1999.
47. Deng, A. C. and Y. C. Shiau, "Generic linear RC delay modeling for digital CMOS circuits," IEEE Trans. CAD, Vol. 9, No. 4, 367-376, Apr. 1990.
48. Gupta, R., B. Tutuianu, and L. T. Pileggi, "The Elmore delay as a bound for RC trees with generalized input signals," IEEE Trans. CAD, Vol. 16, No. 1, 95-104, 1997.
49. Eudes, T., B. Ravelo, and A. Louis, "Transient response characterization of the high-speed interconnection RLCG-model for the signal integrity analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 183-197, 2011.
50. Eudes, T., B. Ravelo, and A. Louis, "Experimental validations of a simple PCB interconnect model for high-rate signal integrity," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 54, No. 2, 397-404, Apr. 2012.
51. Ravelo, B. and T. Eudes, "Fast estimation of RL-loaded microelectronic interconnections delay for the signal integrity prediction," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Nov. 2011.
52. Restle, P., C. Carter, J. Eckhardt, B. Krauter, B. McCredie, K. Jenkins, A. Weger, and A. Mule, The clock distribution of the Power4 microprocessor, Digest of Technical Papers IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, ISSCC 2002, Vol. 1, 144-145, Feb. 3-7, 2002.
53. Ismail, Y. I., E. G. Friedman, and J. L. Neves, "Equivalent elmore delay for RLC trees," IEEE Tran. CAD, Vol. 19, No. 1, 83-97, Jan. 2000.
54., "Overview: Electromagnetic design system (EMDS),", Agilent EEsof EDA, Sep. 2008, http://www.agilent.com/find/eesof-emds.
55. Ansoft corporation, "Simulation software: High-performance signal and power integrity," Internal Report, 2006.
56. ANSYS, "Unparalleled advancements in signal- and power- integrity, electromagnetic compatibility testing,", Jun. 16, 2009, http://investors.ansys.com/.
57. North East Systems Associates (NESA), "RJ45 interconnect signal integrity,", 2010, http://www.cst.com/Content/Applications/Article/Article.aspx-?id = 243.