This paper presents a study of RF MEMS switch designed to be integrated in tunable filters for applications from W-frequency band to V-frequency band. Along the whole process, we go into detail of each procedure to present a complete study from design to fabrication and characterization of a RF-MEMS switch. The proposed concepts are validated by experimental results.
2. Tanne, G., E. Rius, F. Mahe, S. Toutain, F. Biron, L. Billonnet, B. Jarry, and P. Guillon, "Improvement in losses and size of frequency tunable coplanar filter structures using MMIC negative resistance chips for multistandard mobile communication systems," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1165-1168, Boston, MA, 2000.
3. Hong, J. S., "Reconfigurable planar filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 10, No. 6, 73-83, October 2009.
4. Nath, A. J., D. Ghosh, W. Fathelbab, J. P. Maria, A. I. Kingon, P. D. Franzon, and M. B. Steer, "A tunable combline bandpass filter using barium strontium titanate interdigital varactors on an alumina substrate ," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 595-598, June 2005.
5. Bernigaud, J. F., N. Martin, P. Laurent, C. Quendo, G. Tanne, B. Della, F. Huret, and P. Gelin, "Liquid crystal tunable filter based on DBR topology," 36th European Microwave Conference, 368-371, September 2006.
6. Tsutsumi, M. and T. Fukusako, "Magnetically tunable superconducting microstrip resonators using yttrium iron garnet single crystals," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1491-1494, June 1997.
7. Rebeiz, G. M. and J. B. Muldavin, "RF MEMS switches and switch circuits," IEEE Microwave Mag., 59-71, December 2001.
8. Dussopt, L. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-Q millimeter-wave MEMS varactors: Extended-tuning range and discrete-position designs," IEEE Microwave Theory and Technique Symposium, 1205-1208, Phoenix, 2002.
9. Vu, T. M., G. Prigent, and R. Plana, "MEMs based reconfigurable dual behavior resonator using BCB technology in W-frequency range," IEEE International Newcas Taisa Joint Conference, July 2009.
10. Prigent, G., T. M. Vu and R. Plana, "Synthesis for tunable dual behavior resonator," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 123-126, December 2009.
11. Grenier, K., D. Dubuc, L. Mazenq, J. P. Busquere, B. Ducarouge, F. Bouchriha, A. Rennane, V. Lubecke, P. Pons, P. Ancey, and R. Plana, "Polymer based technologies for microwave and millimeterwave applications," IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, 545-548, December 2004.
12. Vu, T. M., G. Prigent, J. Ruan, A. Rumeau, P. Pons, and R. Plana, "Fabrication and characterization of RF-MEMS switch in V-band," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 202-205, December 2009.
13. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS Theory, Design, and Technology, J. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2003.
14. Mihailovich, R. E., M. Kim, J. B. Hacker, E. A. Sovero, J. Studer, J. A. Higgins, and J. F. DeNatale, "MEM relay for reconfigurable RF circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 53-55, February 2001.
15. Zacvracky, P. M., N. E. McGruer, R. H. Morrison, and D. Potter, "Microswitches and microrelays with a view toward microwave applications ," Int. J. RF Microwave CAE, Vol. 9, No. 4, 338-347, 1999.
16. Prigent, G., E. Rius, F. Le Pennec, S. Le Maguer, C. Quendo, G. Six, and H. Happy , "Design of narrow-band DBR planar filters in Si-BCB technology for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1045-1051, March 2004.
17. Six, G., G. Prigent, E. Rius, G. Dambrine, and H. Happy, "Fabrication and characterization of low-loss TFMS on silicon substrate up to 220 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 301-305, January 2005.
18. Villeneuve, C., S. Aouba, M. Dilhan, D. Bourrier, P. Pons, and R. Plana, "Low stressed gradient in gold micromachined cantilevers," 20th Micromechanics Europe Workshop, September 20 - 22, 2009.
19. Chang, H.-Y., J.-H. Tsai, T.-W. Huang, H. Wang, Y. X. Xia, and Y. H. Shu, "A W-band high-power predistorted directconversion digital modulator for transmitter applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 9, 600-602, September 2005.