This paper studies the effect of incipient stator faults in salient-pole synchronous generators and its detection using a simple pattern recognition methodology. A theoretical linear model for the synchronous generator is first developed to provide the relationships between stator and rotor harmonic currents and possible incipient faults on stator electric circuits. All theoretical findings were verified by experimental results. The stator currents and its αβ and dq representations have been used to detect incipient faults on salient-pole synchronous generators using a similar pattern recognition technique which have been proposed for induction machines. From our test results, it became clear that the proposed methodology is capable of correctly monitoring incipient stator faults in salient-pole synchronous generators.
2. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, M. Valavi, and H. A. Toliyat, "Mixed eccentricity fault diagnosis in salient-pole synchronous generator using modified winding function method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 155-172, 2009.
3. Hadef, M., M. R. Mekideche, A. Djerdir, and A. Miraoui, "An inverse problem approach for parameter estimation of interior permanent magnet synchronous motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 15-28, 2011.
4. Yaghobi, H., H. R. Mashhadi, and K. Ansari, "Artificial neural network approach for locating internal faults in salientpole synchronous generator," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, No. 10, 13328-13341, 2011.
5. Karrari, M. and O. P. Malik, "Identification of synchronous generators using adaptive wavelet networks," Int. Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, 113-120, 2005.
6. Faiz, J. and B. M. Ebrahimi, "Mixed fault diagnosis in three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor using analysis of air-gap magnetic field," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 239-255, 2006.
7. Cardoso, A. J. M. and E. S. Saraiva, "Computer-aided detection of airgap eccentricity in operating three-phase induction motors by Park's vector approach," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 29, No. 5, 897-901, 1993.