The beamspace domain of parasitic antenna arrays is explored in this paper, providing the aerial degrees of freedom available for use in Multiple Input-Multiple Output (MIMO) systems. The beamspace representation allows for the design of an alternative MIMO architecture based on single radio-frequency (RF) chains, and facilitates the inclusion of MIMO transceivers in devices with strict size limitations. A three dimensional orthogonal expansion is performed on the beamspace domain providing the basis patterns used for mapping of the transmitted symbols and for sampling at the receiver. The expansion is based on the Gram-Schmidt orthonormalization procedure and can be generalized for any parasitic antenna array. The multiplexing capability of ESPAR antennas is presented as a means for supporting future performance demanding communication systems. Performance evaluation results are illustrated in detail.
2. Chung, J.-Y., T. Yang, and J. Lee, "Low correlation MIMO antennas with negative group delay," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 151-163, 2011.
3. Wallace, J. W. and M. A. Jensen, "Mutual coupling in MIMO wireless systems: A rigorous network theory analysis," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 3, No. 4, 1317-1325, 2004.
4. Waldschmidt, C., S. Schulteis, and W. Wiesbeck, "Complete RF system model for analysis of compact MIMO arrays," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 53, No. 3, 579-586, May 2004.
5. Tsen, W.-F. and H.-J. Li, "Optimal impedance matching for capacity maximization of MIMO systems with coupled antennas and noisy amplifiers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 23-36, 2010.
6. Geyi, W., "Multi-antenna information theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 11-50, 2007.
7. Kalis, A., A. G. Kanatas, and C. Papadias, "A novel approach to MIMO transmission using a single RF front end," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 26, No. 6, 972-980, 2008.
8. Bains, R. and R. R. Müller, "Using parasitic elements for implementing the rotating antenna for MIMO receivers," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 7, No. 11, 4522-4533, November 2008.
9. Alrabadi, O., C. Papadias, A. Kalis, and R. Prasad, "A universal encoding scheme for MIMO transmission using a single active element for PSK modulation schemes," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, No. 10, 5133-5142, October 2009.
10. Barousis, V., A. G. Kanatas, and A. Kalis, "Beamspace domain analysis of single RF front-end MIMO systems," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1195-1199, March 2011.
11. Alrabadi, O. N., C. Divarathne, P. Tragas, A. Kalis, N. Marchetti, C. B. Papadias, and R. Prasad, "Spatial multiplexing with a single radio: Proof-of-concept experiments in an indoor environment with a 2.6-GHz prototype," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 15, No. 2, 178-180, February 2011.
12. Adams, A. T. and D. E. Warren, "Dipole plus parasitic element," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, 536-537, July 1971.
13. Harrington, R. F., "Reactively controlled directive arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 3, 390-395, May 1978.
14. Scott, N., M. O. Leonard-Taylor, and R. G. Vaughan, "Diversity gain from a single-port adaptive antenna using switched parasitic elements illustrated with a wire and monopole prototype," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 6, 1066-1070, June 1999.
15. Ohira, T. and K. Gyoda, "Electronically steerable passive array radiator antennas for low-cost analog adaptive beamforming," IEEE Int. Conf. Phased Array Syst. & Tech., 101-104, May 2000.
16. Iigusa, K. and T. Ohira, "A simple and accurate mathematical model of electronically steerable pa-rasitic array radiator antennas," First IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, CCNC 2004, 312-315, Jane 5--8, 2004.
17. Vaughan, R., "Switched parasitic elements for antenna diversity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 2, February 1999.
18. Barousis, V., A. G. Kanatas, A. Kalis, and C. Papadias, "A stochastic beamforming algorithm for ESPAR antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 7, 745-748, 2008.
19. Sun, C., A. Hirata, T. Ohira, and N. C. Karmakar, "Fast beamforming of electronically steerable parasitic array radiator antennas: Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, July 2004.
20. Wennstrom, M. and T. Svantesson, An antenna solution for MIMO channels: The switched parasitic antenna, 12th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 2001, Vol. 1, A-159--A-163, September 2001.
21. Kalis, A., A. G. Kanatas, M. Carras, and A. G. Constantinides, On the performance of MIMO systems in the wavevector domain, IST Mobile & Wireless Comm Summit, Mykonos, Greece, June 5--8, 2006.
22. Sayeed, A. M., "Deconstructing multiantenna fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2563-2579, October 2002.
23. Tse, D. and P. Viswanath, Fundamentals of Wireless Communication, Vol. 7, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
24. Migliore, M. D., "On the role of the number of degrees of freedom of the field in MIMO channels," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, February 2006.
25. Poon, A. S. Y., R. W. Brodersen, and D. N. C. Tse, "Degrees of freedom in multiple-antenna channels: A signal space approach," IEEE Trans. on IT, Vol. 51, No. 2, February 2005.
26. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the degrees of freedom of scettered fields," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 7, July 1989.
27. Migliore, M. D., "On electromagnetics and information theory," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, October 2008.
28. Miller, D. A., "Communicating with waves between volumes: Evaluating orthogonal spatial channels and limits on coupling strengths," Applied Optics, Vol. 39, No. 11, April 2000.
29. Proakis, J. G., Digital Communications, 4th Ed., Vol. 4, 163, McGraw-Hill International Edition, 2000.
30. Van Trees, H. L., Optimum Array Processing, John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
31. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 2005.
32. Kermoal, J. P., L. Schumacher, K. I. Pedersen, P. E. Mogensen, and F. Frederiksen, "A stochastic MIMO radio channel model with experimental validation," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1211-1226, August 2002.
33. Hu, Z., S. Sfar, and R. S. Blum, "Receive antenna selection for closely-spaced antennas with mutual coupling," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 2, February 2010.
34. Mbonjo, H. N. M., J. Hansen, and V. Hansen, MIMO capacity and antenna array design, IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Globecom, 2004.
35. Teal, P. D., T. D. Abhayapala, and R. A. Kennedy, "Spatial correlation for general distributions of scatterers," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 9, No. 10, October 2002.
36. Olver, F. W. J., D. W. Lozier, R. F. Boisvert, and C. W. Clark, NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and Cambridge University Press, 2010.
37. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006.
38. Glazunov, A. A., M. Gustafsson, A. F. Molisch, F. Tufvesson, and G. Kristensson, "Spherical vector wave expansion of gaussian electromagnetic fields for antenna-channel interaction analysis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, July 2009.
39. Glazunov, A. A. and J. Zhang, Some examples of uncorrelated radiation patterns for MIMO applications, PIERS Proceedings, 598-602, Marakkesh, Morocco, March 20--23, 2011.