In this communication, a new compact UWB monopole antenna with dual band rejection is presented. The antenna is designed using FR4 substrate with dielectric constant 4.4, loss tangent 0.02 and a height of 1.59 mm. Initially the UWB antenna is designed to obtain a 153% fractional bandwidth from 2.4 GHz-21.7 GHz. The ground plane beneath the patch is etched out and a rectangular slot is introduced to obtain a broadband matching over the operating frequency range. Later the antenna is modified to get a frequency notch in the IEEE802.11a and HIPERLAN/2 WLAN operating band (5.15 GHz-5.825 GHz) to avoid potential interference. A U shaped slot is optimally introduced in the patch to get the desired performance. Finally an L shaped slot is cut from the radiating patch to filter the frequency band 3.3 GHz-3.6 GHz, which is WiMAX service band. The antenna parameters are optimized and the effects of parametric variation on antennas performance are studied and the summary is presented. The antenna is fabricated and measured results are presented. The measured results are in well agreement with the simulated results.
2. Wu, Q., R. H. Jin, J. P. Geng, and M. Ding, "Printed omni-directional UWB monopole antenna with very compact size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 896-899, Mar. 2008.
3. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 1453-1460, May 2006.
4. Ma, T. G. and S. J. Wu, "Ultrawideband band-notched folder strip monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 2473-2479, Sep. 2007.
5. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004.
6. First Report and Order Revision of part of the commissions rule regarding ultra wide band transmission system FCC02-48, Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
7. Licul, S., J. A. N. Noronha, W. A. Davis, D. G. Sweeney, C. R. Anderson, and T. M. Bielawa, "A parametric study of time-domain characteristics of possible UWB antenna architectures," Proc. Vehicular Technology Conf., Vol. 5, Oct. 6--9, 2003.
8. Yazdanifard, S., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, and M. Ojaroudi, "Ultra-wideband small square monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 133-144, 2010.
9. Ghaziand, A., M. N. Azarmanesh, and M. Ojaroudi, "Multi-resonance square monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 103-113, 2010.
10. Jiang, J.-B., Z.-H. Yan, and C. Wang, "A novel compact UWB notch-filter antenna with a dual-Y-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 165-170, 2010.
11. Zakerl, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-FED two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
12. Kalteh, A. A., R. Fallahi, and M. G. Roozbahani, "Design of a band-notched microstrip circular slot antenna for UWB communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 113-123, 2010.
13. Tu, S., Y.-C. Jiao, Y. Song, B. Yang, and X. Wang, "A novel monopole dual band-notched antenna with tapered slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 49-57, 2009.
14. Wang, L., W. Wu, X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and Q. Huang, "Design of a novel monopole UWB antenna with a notched ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 13-20, 2008.
15. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3--12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
16. Kraus, J. D., R. J. Marhefka, and A. S. Khan, Antenna and Wave Propagation, 4th Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2006.
17. Yang, Y.-Y., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-A. Zheng, "Time domain characteristics of band-notched ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, Oct. 2009.
18. Sheng, H., P. Orlik, A. M. Haimovich, L. J. Cimini, and J. Zhang, On the spectral and power requirements for ultra-wideband transmission, IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications, Vol. 1, 738-742, Anchorage, AL, USA, 2003.
19. Lamensdorf, D. and L. Susman, "Baseband-pulse-antenna techniques," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 36, No. 1, 20-30, Feb. 1994.
20. Klemm, M. and G. Tröster, "Characterization of small planar antennas for UWB mobile terminals," Wireless Commun. Mobile Comput., Vol. 5, 525-536, Aug. 2005.
21. Computer Simulation Technology CST studio suite 2010, www.cst.com.
22. High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) version 13.0.0, Ansoft Corporation.