This research proposes a new blind tracking algorithm for smart antenna arrays by switching the main beam iteratively using the cost calculated from the received and predicted symbol. This algorithm will be called Cost Steering Algorithm Using Demodulation-Remodulation Technique COSTAUS/DRT. It is completely independent of the Least Mean Squares (LMS) or any derived version from it, and it does not need to investigate the cyclostationary properties of the incoming signal. A complete derivation and analytical model with simulation using Simulink is given in this research. The algorithm was tested under three different target motions which are a triangular motion (linear), sinusoidal motion (circular) and saw tooth motion which is an adverse case when the linear motion changes its path suddenly. The transmitter uses 16-level PSK signal with no Forward Error Correction code (FEC) in order to test the algorithm under the worst situation. The algorithm is tested under different noise power levels. The antenna array is a linear array with 16-elements.
2. Wang, M., et al., "Design and simulation of dipole and cable-FED network of TD-SCDMA smart antenna," International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing CMC'09 WRI, Vol. 1, 65-69, 2009.
3. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
4. Zhang, X., X. Gao, and Z. Wang, "Blind paralind multiuser detection for smart antenna CDMA system over multipath fading channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 23-38, 2009.
5. Gozasht, F., G. R. Dadashzadeh, and S. Nikmehr, "A comprehensive performance study of circular and hexagonal array geometries in the LMS algorithm for smart antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 281-296, 2007.
6. LaMar, S., et al., "Beamforming solutions for interference reduction for high altitude airborne CDMA systems," IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-7, 2011.
7. Gross, F. B., Smart Antennas for Wireless Communications, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2005.
8. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002.
9. Sun, C., J. Cheng, and T. Ohira, Handbook on Advancements in Smart Antenna Technologies for Wireless Networks, Information Science Reference, New York, 2009.
10. Rivas, M., S. Xie, and D. Su, A wideband beamformer with interference and noise suppression capabilities employing only spatial signal processing, International Workshop on Smart Antennas (WSA), 1-5, ITG, 2011.
11. Kim, S.-T., J.-T. Kim, and Y.-S. Choi, "DOA estimation using time-frequency conversion pre-processing method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 13-24, 2011.
12. Yu, J., H. Li, and Z. He, "A novel method of DOA estimation based on subarray beamforming for uniform circular arrays," International Conference on Signal Acquisition and Processing ICSAP'10, 80-84, 2010.
13. Ozaki, Y., J. Ozawa, E. Taillefer, J. Cheng, and Y. Watanabe, "A simple DOA estimator using adjacent pattern power ratio with switched beam antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 55-71, 2011.
14. Zhang, X., X. Gao, and Z. Wang, "Blind paralind multiuser detection for smart antenna CDMA system over multipath fading channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 23-38, 2009.
15. Shetty, K. K., A novel algorithm for uplink interference suppression using smart antennas in mobile communications, M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Florida State University, USA, 2004.
16. Biedka, T. E., Analysis and development of blind adaptive beamforming algorithms, Doctoral Dissertation, Electrical Engineering, Virginia, 2001.
17. Yan, H., Cyclostationarity based DOA estimation and tracking, Doctoral Dissertation, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science (ECECS), University of Cincinnati, 2005.
18. Abdullah, N. and Y. Kuwahara, "Steerable antenna using algorithm based on downhill simplex method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 22, 23-34, 2011.
19. Zhang, J., Blind adaptive cyclic filtering and beamforming algorithms, Doctoral Dissertation, McMaster University, Canada, 2001.
20. Bavand, M. and P. Azmi, "A novel interference cancellation aided minimum bit error rate beamforming," International Symposium on Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (CNDS), 35-39, 2011.
21. Huang, Z. and Y. Li, Optimization and simulation of the fuze antenna beamforming algorithm based on LCMV criterion, International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing, 144-147, Dalian, China, Aug. 2010.
22. Inoue, Y. and K. Cho, "New smart antenna algorithm applied to autonomous area control for mobile radio network," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation EuCAP, 2050-2054, 2009.
23. Zarb-Adami, K., et al., "Beamforming techniques for large-N aperture arrays," IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology (ARRAY), 883-890, 2010.
24. Rivas, M., S. Xie, and D. Su, "An adaptive wideband beamformer using Kalman filter with spatial signal processing characteristics," 13th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), 321-325, 2011.
25. Yu, Y., "Comparison of radiation patterns of smart antenna arrays," China-Japan Joint Microwave Conference Proceedings (CJMW), 1-4, 2011.
26. Fenn, A. J., Adaptive Antennas and Phased Arrays for Radar and Communications, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Artech House, 2008.
27. Lee, M.-S., "A low-complexity planar antenna array for wireless communication applications: Robust source localization in impulsive noise," ETRI Journal, Vol. 32, No. 6, Dec. 2010.
28. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
29. Benedetti, M., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "A fully-adaptive smart antenna prototype: Ideal model and experimental validation in complex interference scenarios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 173-191, 2009.
30. Benedetti, M., et al., "PSO-based real-time control of planar uniform circular arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 545-548, Dec. 2006.
31. Poli, L., et al., "Adaptive nulling in time-modulated linear arrays with minimum power losses," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 2, 157-166, Jan. 2011.
32. Benedetti, M., R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "Memory enhanced PSO-based optimization approach for smart antennas control in complex interference scenarios," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1939-1947, Jul. 2008.
33. Manica, L., P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "On the synthesis of sub-arrayed planar array antennas for tracking radar applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 599-602, 2008.