A key structure in so-called metamaterial mediums is the elementary split-ring resonator. We consider in this paper the low-frequency electromagnetic scattering by a split-ring particle modelled as a perfectly conducting wire ring, furnished with a narrow gap, and derive analytical solutions for the electric and magnetic dipole moments for different kinds of incidence and polarisation in the quasi-static approximation. Through a vectorial homogenisation process, the expressions discovered for the dipole moments and the related polarisability dyadics are linked with the macroscopic constitutive equations for the medium. We further show that the condition for resonance of a medium consisting of simple split-rings cannot be achieved by means of the given quasi-static terms without violating the underlying assumptions of homogenisation. Nevertheless, the results are applicable for sparse medium of rings, and we derive numerical guidelines for the applicability with some examples of the effect of the considered split-ring medium on electromagnetic wave propagation.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Microw. Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Merlin, R., "Metamaterials and the Landau-Lifshitz permeability argument: Large permittivity begets high-frequency magnetism," Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., Vol. 106, No. 6, 1693-1698, Feb. 10, 2009.
4. Simovski, C. R. and B. Sauviac, "Toward creating isotropic microwave composites with negative refraction," Radio Science, Vol. 39, 1-18, 2004, RS2014.
5. Lewellyn Smith, S. G. and A. M. J. Davis, "The split ring resonator," Proc. R. Soc. A, Vol. 466, 3117-3134, 2010.
6. Movchan, A. B. and S. Guenneau, "Split-ring resonators and localized modes," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 125116, 2004.
7. Popa, B.-I. and S. A. Cummer, "Compact dielectric particles as a building block for low-loss magnetic metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 1000, 207401, 2008.
8. Jones, D. S., "Low frequency electromagnetic radiation," J. Inst. Maths Applics, Vol. 23, 421-447, 1979.
9. Stevenson, A. F., "Solution of electromagnetic scattering problems as power series in the ratio (dimension of scatterer)/wavelength," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 24, 1134-1142, 1953.
10. Kleinman, R. E. and T. B. A. Senior, "Rayleigh scattering," Low and High Frequency Asymptotics, 1-70, V. K. Varadan and V. V. Varadan (eds.), North-Holland, 1986.
11. Arvas, E., R. F. Harrington, and J. R. Mautz, "Radiation and scattering from electrically small conducting bodies of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 1, 66-77, Jan. 1986.
12. Van Bladel, J., Electromagnetic Fields, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press & Wiley Interscience, 2007.
13. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 1999.
14. Hadad, Y. and B. Z. Steinberg, "Electrodynamic synergy of micro-properties and macro-structure in particle arrays," 2010 URSI Electromagnetic Theory Symposium, 839-842, 2010.
15. Belov, P. A. and C. R. Simovski, "On homogenization of electromagnetic crystals formed by uniaxial resonant scatterers," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, 026615, 2005.
16. Silveirinha, M. G., "Generalized Lorentz-Lorenz formulas for microstructured materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, 245117, 2007.
17. Bossavit, A., Homogenization of split-ring arrays, seen as the exploitation of translational symmetry, Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modelling, Applications, 77-90, Springer Netherlands, 2008.
18. Holt, A. and G. Karlström, "Inclusion of the quadrupole moment when describing polarization. The effect of the dipole-quadrupole polarizability," J. Comput. Chem., Vol. 29, 2033-2038, 2008.
19. Rayleigh, L., "On the influence of obstacles arranged in rectangular order upon the properties of the medium," Phil. Mag., Vol. 34, 481-502, 1892.
20. McPhedran, R. C. and D. R. McKenzie, "The conductivity of lattices of spheres I. The simple cubic lattice," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 359, 45-63, 1978.
21. Qi, J., H. Kettunen, H. Wallén, and A. Sihvola, "Quasi-dynamic homogenization of geometrically simple dielectric composites," ACES Journal, Vol. 25, No. 12, 1036-1045, 2010.
22. Sjöberg, D., "Simple wave solutions for the Maxwell equations in bianisotropic nonlinear media, with application to oblique incidence," Wave Motion, Vol. 32, No. 3, 217-232, 2000.
23. Gustafsson, M., C. Sohl, C. Larsson, and D. Sjöberg, "Physical bounds on the all-spectrum transmission through periodic arrays," EPL Europhysics Letters, Vol. 87, No. 3, 34002, 2009.
24. Sjöberg, D., M. Gustafsson, and C. Larsson, "Physical bounds on the all-spectrum transmission through periodic arrays: Oblique incidence," EPL Europhysics Letters, Vol. 92, 34009, 2010.
25. Sjöberg, D., "Variational principles for the static electric and magnetic polarizabilities of anisotropic media with perfect electric conductor inclusions," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., Vol. 42, 335403, 2009.
26. Jones, D. S., "Scattering by inhomogeneous dielectric particles," Q. J. Mech. Appl. Math., Vol. 38, 135, 1985.