This paper derives some optimum transmit and receive antenna coefficients in wireless multipath channels based on the spherical vector wave multimode expansion of the multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) channel matrix. The derived antenna coefficients satisfy the following specific optimization criteria: (i) maximum MIMO mean effective link gain (link MEG) based on the multimode channel realizations or (ii) maximum MIMO link MEG based on the multimode correlation matrix or (iii) correlation minimization by diagonalization of the MIMO full-correlation matrix. It is shown that the proposed approach leads to matrix equations belonging to the nearest Kronecker product (NKP) problem family, which in general have no trivial solution. However, we show that exact solutions are provided to the posed NKP problems under the assumption of the Kronecker model for the MIMO full-correlation matrix. The results are illustrated by numerical examples. The proposed approach is a complement to existing antenna pattern analysis methods.
2. Telatar, I. E., "Capacity of multi-antenna Gaussian channels," European Transactions on Telecommunications, Vol. 10, Nov.--Dec. 1999.
3. Foschini, G. J., "Layered space-time architecture for wireless communication in a fading environment when using multi-element antennas," Bell Labs Tech. J., Vol. 1, 41-59, 1996.
4. Tulino, A., A. Lozano, and S. Verdu, "Impact of antenna correlation on the capacity of multiantenna channels," IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 51, 2491-2509, Jul. 2005.
5. Suvikunnas, P., J. Villanen, K. Sulonen, C. Icheln, J. Ollikainen, and P. Vainikainen, "Evaluation of the performance of multi-antenna terminals using a new approach," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, 1804-1813, Oct. 2006.
6. 3GPP-Technical Speci¯cation Group Radio Access Network, Measurement of radiated performance for MIMO and multi-antenna reception for HSPA and LTE terminals, Tech. Rep. 3GPP TR 37.976 V1.1.0, 3GPP and 3GPP2, download at http://www.3gpp.org, 06 2010 (Release 10).
7. Jakes, W. C. and D. Cox, Microwave Mobile Communications, IEEE Press, 1994.
8. Vaughan, R. and J. Bach Andersen, Channels, Propagation and Antennas for Mobile Communications, Institution of Electrical Engineers, 2003.
9. Wallace, J. and M. Jensen, "Mutual coupling in MIMO wireless systems: A rigorous network theory analysis," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 3, 1317-1325, Jul. 2004.
10. Wallace, J. and M. Jensen, "Termination-dependent diversity performance of coupled antennas: Network theory analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 98-105, Jan. 2004.
11. Andersen, J. B. and B. K. Lau, "On closely coupled dipoles in a random field," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 73-75, Dec. 2006.
12. Lau, B. K., J. B. Andersen, G. Kristensson, and A. F. Molisch, "Impact of matching network on bandwidth of compact antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 3225-3228, Nov. 2006.
13. Migliore, M. D., "On the role of the number of degrees of freedom of the field in MIMO channels," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 620-628, 2006.
14. Hanlen, L. and M. Fu, "Wireless communication systems with-spatial diversity: A volumetric model," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, 133-142, Jan. 2006.
15. Jensen, M. and J. Wallace, "Capacity of the continuous-space electromagnetic channel," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 524-531, Feb. 2008.
16. Alayon Glazunov, A., M. Gustafsson, A. F. Molisch, F. Tufvesson, and G. Kristensson, "Spherical vector wave expansion of Gaussian electromagnetic fields for antenna-channel interaction analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 2055-2067, Jul. 2009.
17. Alayon Glazunov, A., M. Gustafsson, A. Molisch, and F. Tufvesson, "Physical modelling of multiple-input multiple-output antennas and channels by means of the spherical vector wave expansion," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, 778-791, Jun. 2010.
18. Alayon Glazunov, A., On the antenna-channel interactions: A spherical vector wave expansion approach, No. 16 Doctoral Thesis, ISSN 1654-790X, Electrical and Information Technology, Mar. 2009.
19. Hansen, J. E. and ed., Spherical Near-field Antenna Measurements, Peter Peregrinus, London, UK, 1988.
20. Hansen, W. W., "A new type of expansion in radiating problems," Phys. Review, Vol. 47, 139-143, Jan. 1935.
21. Brock, B. C., Using vector spherical harmonics to compute antenna mutual impedance from measured or computed fields, Unlimited Release SAND2000-2217-Revised, SANDIA REPORT, Sandia National Laboratories Albuquerque, New Mexico 87185 and Livermore, California 94550, Apr. 2001.
22. Taga, T., "Analysis for mean effective gain of mobile antennas in land mobile radio environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 39, 117-131, May 1990.
23. Alayon Glazunov, A., A. Molisch, and F. Tufvesson, "Mean effective gain of antennas in a wireless channel," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, 214-227, Mar. 2009.
24. Loan, C. F. V. and N. Pitsianis, Linear Algebra for Large Scale and Real Time Applications, 293-314, Approximations with Kronecker products, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993.
25. Wyne, S., A. F. Molisch, P. Almers, G. Eriksson, J. Karedal, and F. Tufvesson, "Outdoor-to-indoor office MIMO measurements and analysis at 5.2 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, 1374-1386, May 2008.
26. Kermoal, J. P., L. Schumacher, K. I. Pedersen, P. E. Mogensen, and F. Frederiksen, "A stochastic MIMO radio channel model with experimental validation," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, 1211-1226, Aug. 2002.
27. Sivasondhivat, K., J.-I. Takada, I. Ida, and Y. Oishi, "Polarimetric Kronecker separability of site-specific double-directional channel in an urban macrocellular environment," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2009, 2009.
28. Correia, L. (ed.), COST 259 Final Report: Wireless Flexible Personalised Communications, Wiley, 2001.
29. Correia, L. (ed.), COST 273 Final Report: Towards Mobile Broadband Multimedia Networks, Elsevier, 2006.
30. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, 1948.
31. Hiegler, T., A. Friederich, F. M. Landstorfer, and G. Fässler, Efficient antenna performance measurement system for gsm handsets by use of a near-field to far-field transformation algorithm, IEE Technical Seminar on Antenna Measurements and SAR, 28-29, Burleigh Court, Loughborough University, UK, 2002.
32. Glazunov, A., M. Gustafsson, and A. Molisch, "On the physical limitations of the interaction of a spherical aperture and a random field," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 119-128, Jan. 2011.
33. Khatun, A., T. Laitinen, and P. Vainikainen, "Spherical wave modelling of radio channels using linear scanners," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Apr. 2010.
34. Evans, D. N. and M. A. Jensen, "Near-optimal radiation patterns for antenna diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2010.
35. Mohajer, M., S. Safavi-Naeini, and S. K. Chaudhuri, "Spherical vector wave method for analysis and design of MIMO antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1267-1270, 2010.
36. Alayon Glazunov, A. and J. Zhang, Some examples of uncorrelated antenna radiation patterns for MIMO applications, PIERS Proceedings, 598-602, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20--23, 2011.