In this paper, we propose a reference range correlation-based (RRcR) ranging technique suitable for low-power on-body wireless body sensor networks (WBSNs) via ultra wideband (UWB) radios. The proposed technique is based on the presence of reference nodes, and is assumed to have line-of-sight (LOS) links. We show that the performance of the proposed technique outperforms matched-filtering-based time-of-arrival (MF-TOA) estimators with no a priori and with perfect channel knowledge. We further show that increasing the number of reference node up to twenty provides significant enhancement in the performance traded for higher overall power consumption. Then, we study the effect of timing-misalignment on the Ziv-Zakai lower bound (ZZLB), and provide numerical results. The presented results are based on simulations in the IEEE 802.15.6a on-body-to-on-body channel (CM3) in the UWB band as well as actual measurements.
2. MacGougan, G., K. O'Keefe, and R. Klukas, "Ultra-wideband ranging precision and accuracy," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 9, 095105, 2009.
3. Dardari, D., C.-C. Chong, and M. Win, "Threshold-based time-of-arrival estimators in UWB dense multipath channels," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 56, No. 8, 1366-1378, Aug. 2008.
4. Guvenc, I. and Z. Sahinoglu, "Multiscale energy products for TOA estimation in IR-UWB systems," IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2005, GLOBECOM'05, Vol. 1, 1-5, Nov.--Dec. 2005.
5. Stoica, L. and I. Oppermann, "Modelling and simulation of a non-coherent IR UWB transceiver architecture with TOA estimation," 2006 IEEE 17th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, 1-5, Sep. 2006.
6. Desset, C., M. Badaroglu, J. Ryckaert, and B. van Poucke, "UWB search strategies for minimal-length preamble and a low-complexity analog receiver," IEEE 7th Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications 2006, SPAWC'06, 1-5, Jul. 2006.
7. Saeed, R., S. Khaum, B. MAli, and M. Khazani, "Performance of ultra-wideband time-of-arrival estimation enhanced with synchronization scheme," ECTI Transaction on Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communications, Vol. 4, No. 1, 78-84, Feb. 2006.
8. Lopez-Salcedo, J. A. and G. Vazquez, "Waveform-independent frame-timing acquisition for UWB signals," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 1, 279-289, Jan. 2007.
9. Di Renzo, M., R. Buehrer, and J. Torres, "Pulse shape distortion and ranging accuracy in UWB-based body area networks for ull-body motion capture and gait analysis," IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2007, GLOBECOM'07, 3775-3780, Nov. 26--30, 2007.
10. Dardari, D., C.-C. Chong, and M. Z. Win, "Improved lower bounds on time-of-arrival estimation error in realistic UWB channels," IEEE 2006 International Conference on Ultra-Wideband, 531-537, Sep. 2006.
11. Sangyoub, L., Design and analysis of ultra-wide bandwidth impulse radio receiver, Ph.D. Dissertation, Southern California University, 2002.
12. Chung, W. C. and D. Ha, "An accurate ultra wideband (UWB) ranging for precision asset location," 2003 IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, 389-393, Nov. 2003.
13. Dederer, J., B. Schleicher, F. de Andrade Tabarani Santos, A. Trasser, and H. Schumacher, "FCC compliant 3.1--10.6 GHz UWB pulse radar system using correlation detection," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1471-1474, Jun. 2007.
14. Taparugssanagorn, A., A. Rabbachin, M. Hamalainen, J. Saloranta, and J. Iinatti, "A review of channel modelling for wire-less body area network in wireless medical communications," 2008 Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications, WPMC 2008, 1-5, Sep. 8--11, 2008.
15. Fort, A., C. Desset, J. Ryckaert, P. de Doncker, L. van Biesen, and S. Donnay, "Ultra wide-band body area channel model," 2005 IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2005, Vol. 4, 2840-2844, May 2005.
16. Shaban, H., M. Abou El-Nasr, and R. Buehrer, "Toward a highly accurate ambulatory system for clinical gait analysis via UWB radios," IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 14, No. 2, 284-291, Mar. 2010.
17. Corporation, T., "Markets planar elliptical dipoles under the brand name `broadspec',", 2010, www.timedomain.com.
18. Shaban, H., M. A. El-Nasr, and R. M. Buehrer, "Performance of ultralow-power IR-UWB correlator receivers for highly accurate wearable human locomotion tracking and gait analysis systems," 2009 IEEE Global Communications Conference, Globecom 2009, 1-6, Nov. 30--Dec. 4, 2009.
19. Penders, J., B. Gyselinckx, R. Vullers, M. de Nil, V. Nimmala, J. van de Molengraft, F. Yazicioglu, T. Torfs, V. Leonov, P. Merken, and C. van Hoof, "Human++: From technology to emerging health monitoring concepts," 5th International Summer School and Symposium on Medical Devices and Biosensors 2008, ISSS-MDBS 2008, 94-98, Jun. 1--3, 2008.