This study reports on tunable planar metamaterial design that is capable to achieve dual-band negative index of refraction responses operating in microwave regime. Its distinctive characteristic is the usage of tuning open stub-loaded stepped-impedance resonators. Parameters retrieval algorithm, and full-wave simulation of prism-shaped structure were carried out to validate the negative refraction characteristics of metamaterial structure. The results predict its prospect as a very promising alternative to the conventional ones, which is compatibly applicable on various potential microwave devices especially when dual-band function is required. In addition to that, its design flexibility offers a various frequency bands at any possible choice, which is alterable together with any design parameters changes.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
5. Shelby, R., D. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
6. Huangfu, J., L. Ran, H. Chen, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental confirmation of negative refractive index of a metamaterial composed of Ω-like metallic patterns," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, 1537-1539, 2004.
7. Baena, J. D., R. Marques, and F. Medina, "Artificial magnetic metamaterial design by using spiral resonators," Physical Review B, Vol. 69, 014402/1-014402/5, 2004.
8. Zhou, J., T. Koschny, L. Zhang, G. Tuttle, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Experimental demonstration of negative index of refraction," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, 221103/1-221103/3, 2006.
9. Kafesaki, M., I. Tsiapa, N. Katsarakis, Th. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. N. Economou, "Left-handed metamaterial: The fishnet structure and its variations," Physical Review B, Vol. 75, 235114/1-235114/9, 2007.
10. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "A planar metamaterial: Polarization independent fishnet structure," Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 1, 102-107, 2008.
11. Isik, O. and K. P. Esselle, "Analysis of spiral metamaterials by use of group theory," Metamaterials, Vol. 3, No. 1, 33-43, 2009.
12. Wang, J., S. Qu, Z. Xu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, and C. Gu, "Broadband planar left-handed metamaterials using split-ring resonator pairs," Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, 108-113, 2009.
13. Donzelli, G., A. Vallecchi, F. Capolino, and A. Schuchinsky, "Metamaterial made of paired planar conductors: Particle resonances, phenomena and properties," Metamaterials, Vol. 3, No. 1, 10-27, 2009.
14. Vallecchi, A., F. Capolino, A. G. Schuchinsky, and A. G. Schuchinsky, "2-D isotropic effective negative refractive index metamaterial in planar technology," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 5, 269-271, 2009.
15. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, and X.Wu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
16. Ekmekci, E. and G. Turhan-Sayan, "Comparative investigation of resonance characteristics and electrical size of the double-sided SRR, BC-SRR and conventional SRR type metamaterials for varying substrate parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 35-62, 2009.
17. Zhou, X., Y. Liu, and X. Zhao, "Low losses left-handed materials with optimized electric and magnetic resonance," Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, Vol. 98, No. 3, 643-649, 2009.
18. Zhu, C., J. -J. Ma, L. Chen, and C. -H. Liang, "Negative index metamaterials composed of triangular open-loop resonator and wire structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2009.
19. Sabah, C., "Tunable metamaterial design composed of triangular split ring resonator and wire strip for S- and C- microwave bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 341-357, 2010.
20. Nemer, S., B. Sauviac, B. Bayard, C. Nader, J. Bechara, and A. Khoury, "Modelling resonance frequencies of a multi-turn spiral for metamaterial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 20, 31-42, 2011.
21. Alhawari, A. R. H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and R. S. A. R. Abdullah, "Miniaturized ultra-wideband antenna using microstrip negative index metamaterial," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, No. 6, 404-418, 2011.
22. Kwon, D.-H., D. H. Werner, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Near-infrared metamaterials with dual-band negative-index characteristics," Optics Express, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1647-1652, 2007.
23. Hu, C. L., Liu, X. Chen, and X. Luo, "Expanding the band of negative permeability of a composite structure with dual-band negative permeability," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 26, 21544-21549, 2008.
24. Hu, C., L. Liu, Z. Zhao, X. Chen, Q. Feng, and X. Luo, "Multimode magnetic responses in NIR and visible ranges," Applied Physics B: Laser and Optics, Vol. 96, No. 2--3, 439-443, 2009.
25. Ekmekci, E. and G. Turhan-Sayan, A novel dual-band metamaterial structure, PIERS Proceedings, 87-91, Moscow, Russia, August 18--21, 2009.
26. Huang, C., Z. Zhao, Q. Feng, J. Cui, and X. Luo, "Metamaterial composed of wire pairs exhibiting dual band negative refraction," Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics, Vol. 98, No. 2--3, 365-370, 2009.
27. Gundogdu, T. F., K. Guven, M. Gokkavas, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "A planar metamaterial with dual-band double-negative response at EHF," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, 376-379, 2010.
28. Naghipourfar, M. and Z. Atlasbaf, "New dual-band DNG metamaterials," Canadian Journal on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 2, 47-56, February 2011.
29. Chu, Q.-X. and F.-C. Chen, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter using meandering stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 5, 320-322, May 2008.
30. Chu, Q.-X. and F.-C. Chen, "A novel dual-band bandpass filter using stepped impedance resonators with transmission zeros," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1466-1468, June 2008.
31. Velazquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Application of stub loaded folded stepped impedance resonators to dual band filter design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 107-124, 2010.
32. Namsang, A. and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Microstrip bandpass filters using end-coupled asymmetrical step-impedance resonators for wide-spurious response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 53-65, 2010.
33. Xiao, J.-K. and H.-F. Huang, "New dual-band bandpass filter with compact sir structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 125-134, 2010.
34. Zhang, X. Y., C. H. Chan, Q. Xue, and B.-J. Hu, "Dual-band bandpass filter with controllable bandwidths using two coupling paths," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 11, 616-618, November 2010.
35. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, Microwave Resonators and Filters for Wireless Communication, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2001.
36. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Bin Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
37. Chen, F.-C., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "Design of compact dual-band bandpass filter using short stub loaded resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 4, 959-963, April 2009.
38. Li, B., X. Wu, N. Yang, and W. Wu, "Dual-band equal/unequal Wilkinson power dividers based on coupled-line section with short-circuited stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 163-178, 2011.
39. Kuo, J. T. and C. Y. Tsai, "Periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator (PSIRR) bandpass filter with a miniaturized area and desirable upper stopband characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1107-1112, March 2006.
40. Chen, C. F., T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Design of dual-and triple-passband filters using alternately cascaded multiband resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 9, 3550-3558, September 2006.
41. Weng, M. H., H. W. Wu, and Y. K. Su, "Compact and low-loss dual-band bandpass filter using pseudo-interdigital stepped impedance resonators for WLANs," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 187-189, March 2007.
42. Chen, F.-C. and Q.-X. Chu, "Novel multistub loaded resonator and its application to high-order dual-band filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1551-1556, June 2010.
43. Computer Simulation Technology (CST) Microwave Studio, Version 2010.
44. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
45. Smith, D. R., S. Shultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefflcients," Physics Review B, Vol. 65, 195104-195101--95104-195105, 2002.
46. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pacheco, and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Physical Review E 70, 016608/1-016608/7, 2004.
47. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Physical Review E, Vol. 71, 036617/1-036617/11, 2005.
48. Grzegorczyk, T. M., M. Nikku, X. Chen, B.-I.Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Refraction laws for anisotropic media and their application to left-handed metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1443-1450, 2005.
49. Wu, Q., P. Pan, F.-Y. Meng, L.-W. Li, and J. Wu, "A novel flat lens horn antenna designed based on zero refraction principle of metamaterials," Applied Physics A, Vol. 87, 151-156, 2007.