This paper introduces a novel design of Butler matrix in substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology with wide frequency band characteristics. Butler matrices are particularly useful in advanced antenna design and characteristics such as wideband operation, power handling, manufacturing, integration, cost, etc. are typical issues to be addressed in many applications. The proposed planar 4×4 Butler matrix provides an interesting solution to most of these issues. Wideband operation is achieved thanks to improved cross-couplers. These components are also characterized by higher power handling when compared to $E$-plane couplers. The use of SIW technology enables to reduce insertion losses compared to other printed technologies, while maintaining most advantages of such technologies such as high integration, manufacturing simplicity, low weight, etc. The proposed design is fully described, from the elementary building blocks to the full assembly performances. The design is optimized for operation in Ku-band with a center frequency at 12.5 GHz. A prototype of the 4×4 Butler matrix is manufactured, and good performances are confirmed over 24% relative frequency bandwidth. Potential use of this sub-system in multibeam antenna design is also discussed.
2. Godara, L. C., "Application of antenna arrays to mobile communications. Part II: Beam-forming and direction-of-arrival considerations," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 8, 1195-1245, Aug. 1997.
3. Cladwell, F., J. S. Kenney, and I. A. Ingram, "Design and implementation of a switched-beam smart antenna for an 802.11b wireless access point," Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON 2002), 55-58, 2002.
4. Polegre, A. M., G. Caille, L. Boyer, and A. Roederer, "Semi-active conformal array for ESA's GAIA mission," IEEE AP-S International Symposium, Vol. 4, 4108-4111, Jun. 2004.
5. Egami, S. and M. Kawai, "An adaptive multiple beam system concept," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 5, No. 4, 630-636, May 1987.
6. Rotman, W. and R. Turner, "Wide-angle microwave lens for line source applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 6, 623-632, Nov. 1963.
7. Shelton, J. P., "Focusing characteristics of symmetrically configured bootlace lenses," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 4, 513-518, Jul. 1978.
8. Herd, J. S. and D. M. Pozar, "Design of a microstrip antenna array fed by a Rotman lens," IEEE AP-S International Symposium, Vol. 22, 729-732, Jun. 1984.
9. Hall, P. S. and S. J. Vetterlein, "Review of radio frequency beam-forming techniques for scanned and multiple beam antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 137, No. 5, 293-303, Oct. 1990.
10. Blass, J., "Multidirectional antenna, a new approach to stacked beams," IRE International Conference Record, Vol. 8, 48-50, Part 1, Mar. 1960.
11. Allen, J. L., "A theoretical limitation on the formation of lossless multiple beams in linear arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 7, 350-352, Jul. 1961.
12. White, W. D., "Pattern limitations in multiple-beam antennas," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 430-436, Jul. 1962.
13. Butler, J. and R. Lowe, "Beam forming matrix simplifies design of electronically scanned antennas," Electronic Design, Vol. 9, 170-173, Apr. 1962.
14. Moody, H. J., "The systematic design of the Butler matrix," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 6, 786-788, Nov. 1964.
15. He, J., B.-Z. Wang, Q.-Q. He, Y.-X. Xing, and Z.-L. Yin, "Wideband X-band microstrip Butler matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 131-140, 2007.
16. Accatino, L., F. Muoio, B. Piovano, G. Caille, and M. Mongiardo, "CAD of waveguide Butler matrices including mechanical and thermal constraints," 31st European Microwave Conference (EuMC 2001), 1-4, Sep. 2001.
17. Koubeissi, M., C. Decroze, T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "A new method to design a Butler matrix with broadside beam: Application to a multibeam antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 1, 35-40, Jan. 2006.
18. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2001.
19. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics, TELSIKS'03, Vol. 1, 3-10, Nis, Yugoslavia, Oct. 2003.
20. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008.
21. Shen, W., X.-W. Sun, W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, and Q.-F. Wei, "A novel single-cavity dual mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with non resonating node," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 6, 368-370, Jun. 2009.
22. Henry, M., C. E. Free, B. S. Izqueirdo, J. C. Batchelor, and P. Young, "Millimeter wave substrate integrated waveguide antennas: Design and fabrication analysis," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 32, No. 1, 93-100, Feb. 2009.
23. Cassivi, Y., D. Deslandes, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 1409-1412, 2002.
24. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, H. X. Zhou, and K.Wu, "Single-layer substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers," IEE Proceedings --- Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 5, 426-431, Oct. 2006.
25. Djerafi, T. and K. Wu, "Super-compact substrate integrated waveguide cruciform directional coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 757-759, Nov. 2007.
26. Djerafi, T., J. Gauthier, and K. Wu, "Quasi-optical cruciform substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) coupler for millimeter-wave systems," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 716-719, 2010.
27. Labay, V. A. and J. Bornemann, "E-plane directional couplers in substrate-integrated waveguide technology," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-3, 2008.
28. Ali, A., H. Aubert, N. J. G. Fonseca, and F. Coccetti, "Wideband two-layer SIW coupler: Design and experiment," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 13, 687-689, Jun. 2009.
29. Yamamoto, S., J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, "A beam switching slot array with a 4-way Butler matrix installed in single layer post-wall waveguide," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. E86-B, No. 5, 1653-1659, May 2003.
30. Djerafi, T., N. J. G. Fonseca, and K. Wu, "Architecture and implementation of planar 4 × 4 Ku-band Nolen matrix using SIW technology," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 16-20, Dec. 2008.
31. Sbarra, E., L. Marcaccioli, R. V. Gatti, and R. Sorrentino, "A novel Rotman lens in SIW technology," European Radar Conference, 236-239, 2007.
32. Ali, A., N. Fonseca, F. Coccetti, and H. Aubert, "Novel two-layer broadband 4 × 4 Butler matrix in SIW technology for Ku band applications," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, Dec. 2008.
33. European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS), "Space engineering --- Multipaction design and test,", Vol. ECSS-E-20-01A, May 5, 2003.
34. Wolk, D., C. Vicente, H. L. Hartnagel, M. Mattes, J. R. Mosig, and D. Raboso, "An investigation of the effect of fringing fields on multipactor breakdown," Workshop on Multipactor, RF and DC Corona and Passive Intermodulation in Space RF Hardware, 93-99, Sep. 2005.
35. Cheng, Y. J., K. Wu, and W. Hong, "Power handling capability of substrate integrated waveguide interconnects and related transmission line systems," Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 4, 900-909, 2008.
36. Wight, J. S., W. J. Chudobiak, and V. Makios, "A microstrip and stripline crossover structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 24, No. 5, 270, 1976.