In this paper, a new radar constant false alarm rate detector to perform adaptive threshold target detection in presence of interfering targets is proposed. The proposed CFAR detector, referred to as Adaptive Linear Combined CFAR, ALC-CFAR, employs an adaptive composite approach based on the well-known cell averaging CFAR, CA-CFAR, and the ordered statistics, OS-CFAR, detectors. Data in the reference window is used to compute an adaptive weighting factor employed in the fusion scheme. Based on this factor, the ALC-CFAR tailors the background estimation algorithm. The conducted Monte Carlo simulation results demonstrate that the proposed detector provides low loss CFAR performance in an homogeneous environment and also performs robustly in presence of interfering targets. The performances of the ALC-CFAR detector have been evaluated and compared with that of the CA-CFAR and the OS-CFAR detectors. The obtained results are presented and discussed in this paper.
2. Barkat, M., Signal Detection and Estimation, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
3. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill Book Company Wiley-Interscience, USA, 2001.
4. Finn, H. M. and R. S. Johnson, "Adaptive detection mode with threshold control as a function of spatially sampled clutter level estimates," RCA Review, Vol. 29, 414-464, 1968.
5. Rohling, H., "Radar CFAR thresholding in clutter and multiple target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 19, 608-621, 1983.
6. Khalighi, M. A. and G. M. Bastani, "Adaptive CFAR detector for nonhomogeneous environments," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, No. 3, 889-897, 2000.
7. Barkat, M., S. D. Himonas and P. K. Varshney, "CFAR detection for multiple target situations," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 136, No. 5, 1989.
8. El Mashade, M. B., "Analysis of CFAR detection of fluctuating targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 65-94, 2008.
9. Habib, M. A., M. Barkat, B. Aissa, and A. Denidni, "CA-CFAR detection performance of radar targets embedded in non centred chi-2 gamma clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 135-148, 2008.
10. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "Automatic order selection for OS-CFAR detection improvement under severe interference situations using information theoretic criteria ," Proc. International Radar Conference, 2009.
11. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and Hamadouche, M., "Design and DSP implementation of an adaptive linear combined CFAR processor ," Proc. International Radar Symposium, 2009.
12. Farina, A. and Optimized Radar Processors, , Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, United Kingdom, 1987.
13. Magaz, B., A. Abbadi, T. Mabed, M. Hamadouche, and A. Belouchrani, "Design and implementation of a real time FPGA based CFAR processor for radar target detection using ML403 FPGA development board ," ICGST International Journal on Programmable Devices, Circuits and Systems, PDCS, Vol. 9, No. 1, 47-51, 2009.
14. Magaz, B., M. L. Bencheikh, M. Hamadouche, and A. Belouchrani, "Design and real time implementation of a novel combined CA-CFAR/SLB system on TMS320C67xx," International Radar Symposium, IRS2006, 2009.
15. Liu, N. N., J. Li, and Y. Cui, "A new detection algorithm based on CFAR for radar image with homogeneous background," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 13-22, 2010.
16., "ASTM G173-03. Standard Tables for Reference Solar Spectral Irradiances: Direct Normal and Hemispherical on 37 Tilted Surfaces,", 2008.
17. Gabriel, C., "Compilation of the dielectric properties of body tissues at RF and microwave frequencies," Final Tech. Rep. Occupational and Environmental Health Directorate, AL/OE-TR-1996-0037, RFR Division, Brooks Air Force Base, TX, 1996.
18. Pennes, H. H., "Analysis of tissue and arterial blood temperatures in resting forearm," J. Appl. Physiol., Vol. 1, 93-122, 1948.