This paper presents an exact analytical method for the computation of the magnetic field distribution in surface-mounted permanent-magnet (PM) motors for any pole and slot combinations including fractional slot machines. The proposed model takes into account the slotting effect and the armature reaction magnetic field. The analytical method is based on the resolution of the two-dimensional Laplace's and Poisson's equations in polar coordinates (by the separation of variables technique) for each subdomain, i.e., magnet, airgap and slots. Magnetic field distributions, back electromotive force and electromagnetic torque (cogging torque and load torque) computed with the proposed analytical method are verified with those obtained from finite element analyses.
2. Sargos, F. M. and A. Rezzoug, "Analytical calculation of airgap magnetic field produced by inset permanent magnet rotor machine," J. Physics III, Vol. 1, 103-110, 1990 (in French).
3. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Instantaneous magnetic-field distribution in brushless permanent-magnet dc motor, part III: Effect of slotting," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 29, No. 1, 143-151, 1993.
4. Zarko, D., D. Ban, and T. A. Lipo, "Analytical calculation of magnetic field distribution in the slotted air gap of a surface permanent-magnet motor using complex relative air-gap permeance," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1828-1837, 2006.
5. Markovic, M., M. Jufer, and Y. Perriard, "Reducing the cogging torque in brushless dc motors by using conformal mappings," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 40, No. 2, 451-455, 2004.
6. Boughrara, K., D. Zarko, R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Rezzoug, "Magnetic field analysis of inset and surface-mounted permanent-magnet synchronous motor using Schwarz-Christoffel transformation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 8, 3166-3168, 2009.
7. Ackermann, B. and R. Sottek, "Analytical modeling of the cogging torque in permanent magnet motors," Elect. Eng., Vol. 78, No. 2, 117-125, 1994.
8. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Instantaneous magnetic field distribution in brushless permanent magnet dc motors, part II: Armature-reaction field," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 29, No. 1, 136-142, 1993.
9. Wang, X., Q. Li, S. Wang, and Q. Li, "Analytical calculation of air-gap magnetic field distribution and instantaneous characteristics of brushless dc motors," IEEE Trans. Energy. Convers., Vol. 18, No. 3, 424-432, 2003.
10. Proca, A. B., A. Keyhani, A. EL-Antably, W. Lu, and M. Dai, "Analytical model for permanent magnet motors with surface mounted magnets," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 18, No. 3, 386-391, 2003.
11. Liu, Z. J. and J. T. Li, "Analytical solution of air-gap field in permanent magnet motors taking into account the effect of pole transition over slots," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 10, 3872-3882, 2007.
12. Kumar, P. and P. Bauer, "Improved analytical model of a permanent-magnet brushless DC motor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2299-2309, 2008.
13. Afjei, E. and H. Torkaman, "The novel two-phase field assisted hybrid SRG: Magneto-static field analysis, simulation, and experimental confirmation," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 18, 25-42, 2009.
14. Babic, S. I. and C. Akiel, "Improvement of the analytical calculation of the magnetic field produced by permanent magnet rings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 5, 71-82, 2008.
15. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "The three exact components of the magnetic field created by a radially magnetized tile permanent magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 307-319, 2008.
16. Bellara, A., Y. Amara, G. Barakat, and B. Dakyo, "Two-dimensional exact analytical solution of armature reaction filed in slotted surface mounted PM radial flux synchronous machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 10, 4534-4538, 2009.
17. Lubin, T., S. Mezani, and A. Rezzoug, "Exact analytical method for magnetic field computation in the air-gap of cylindrical electrical machines considering slotting effects," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1092-1099, 2010.
18. Zhu, Z. Q., L. J. Wu, and Z. P. Xia, "An accurate subdomain model for magnetic field computation in slotted surface-mounted permanent magnet machines," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1100-1115, 2010.
19. Vaseghi, B., N. Takorabet, and F. Meibody-Tabar, "Transient finite element analysis of induction machine with stator winding turn fault," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 95, 1-18, 2009.
20. Meeker, D. C., Finite Element Method Magnetics, Build, http://www.femm.info, Version 4.2, April 1, 2009.