The paper discusses a retrieval technique of complex permittivity of ore minerals in frequency ranges of 12--38 GHz and 77--145 GHz. The method is based on measuring frequency dependencies of transmissivity and reflectivity of plate-parallel mineral samples. In the 12--38 GHz range, the measurements were conducted using a panoramic standing wave ratio and attenuation meter. In the 77--145 GHz range, frequency dependencies of transmissivity and reflectivity were obtained using millimeter-band spectrometer with backward-wave oscillators. The real and imaginary parts of complex permittivity of a mineral were determined solving an equation system for frequency dependencies of transmissivity and reflectivity of an absorbing layer located between two dielectric media. In the course of the work, minerals that are primary ores in iron, zinc, copper and titanium mining were investigated: magnetite, hematite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, pyrite, and ilmenite.
2. Chandra, A. M. and S. K. Ghosh, Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System, Narosa Publishing House, 2006.
3., Handbook of Physical Constants, editor S. P. Clark, Jr., Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, The Geol. Soc. of America, Inc. Memoir 97, 1966.
4., Mineral Physics and Crystallography: a Handbook of Physical Constants, editor J. A. Thomas, The American Geophysical Union, 1995.
5. Harvey, A. F., Microwave Engineering, Academic Press, 1963.
6., Measurement, Instrumentation, and Sensors Handbook, Editor-in-Chief J. G. Webster, CRC Press LLC, 1999.
7. Battey, M. H. and A. Pring, Mineralogy for Students, Longman, 1997.
8. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1983.
9. Korbel, P. and M. Novak, The Complete Encyclopedia of Minerals, Grange Books Plc, Kent, UK, 2001.
10. Born, V. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon, Oxford, 1964.
11. Himmelblau, D. M., Applied Nonlinear Programming, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Austin, Texas, 1972.
12. Boyarskii, D. A., et al., "On a possibility to determine microstructural parameters of oil-bearing layer from radiophysical measurements data," J. of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 41, No. 5, 408-414, 1996.
13. Boyarskii, D. A., "Method of retrieval of media structural parameters from frequency dependence of transmission coefficient," Proceeding of International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS'96), Vol. 2, 1349-1351, Lincoln, Nebraska USA, May 27--31, 1996.
14. Clark, R. N., Spectroscopy of Rocks and Minerals, and Principles of Spectroscopy, John Wiley and Sons, Inc, New York, 1999.