Short-wavelength radar networks are expected to complement current long-range weather radar systems. Accordingly, we proposed a configuration for such a network constituting pulse compression radars in order to use frequency resources efficiently and obtain multi-static information. We developed high resolution Ka-band pulse compression weather radar system as a test-bed. Using a commercial direct digital synthesizer (DDS) and field programmable gate array (FPGA) control, we generated linear and arbitrary nonlinear frequency modulated waveforms for low range sidelobes. Further, we completed a high duty factor system with a solid-state power amplifier. In a vertical-pointing mode, we were able to employ the developed radar to detect moderate rainfall up to 15 km. Details of the system design, hardware structure, data acquisition and processing algorithms were described. To validate the performance of the proposed radar system, we conducted several experiments by measuring cloud, snow and rain.
2. Maki, M., T. Maesaka, R. Misumi, K. Iwanami, S. Suzuki, A. Kato, S. Shimizu, K. Kieda, T. Yamada, H. Hirano, F. Kobayashi, A. Masuda, T. Moriya, Y. Suzuki, A. Takahori, D. Lee, D. Kim, V. Chandrasekar, and Y. Wang, "X-band polarimetric radar network in the Tokyo metropolitan area X-NET," Proceeding of the 5th European Conference on Radar in Meteorology and Hydrology, July 2008.
3. Mudukutore, A. S., V. Chandrasekar, and R. J. Keeler, "Pulse compression for weather radars," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, 125-142, January 1998.
4. Puhakka, T., V. Chandrasekar, and P. Puhakka, "Evaluation of FM pulse compression for weather radars," AMS 33rd Conference on Radar Meteorology, 7.6, August 2007.
5. Mega, T., K. Monden, T. Ushio, K. Okamoto, Z. Kawasaki, and T. Morimoto, "A low-power high-resolution broad-band radar using a pulse compression technique for meteorological application," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, July 2007.
6. Nakagawa, K., H. Hanado, K. Fukutan, and T. Iguchi, "Development of a C-band pulse compression weather radar," AMS 32nd Conference on Radar Meteorology, P12R.11, October 2005.
7. O'Hora, F. and J. Bech, "Improving weather radar observations using pulse-compression techniques," Meteorological Applications, Vol. 14, 389-401, 2007.
8. Cho, Y. G., A high bandwidth radar operation over the internet: Signal analysis, network protocols and experimental validation, Ph.D. Thesis, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 2004.
9. Brotzge, J., K. Brewster, V. Chandrasekar, B. Philips, S. Hill, K. Hondl, B. Johnson, E. Lyons, D. McLaughlin, and D. Westbrook, "CASA IP1: Network operations and initial data," AMS 23rd Conference on IIPS, 8A.6, January 2007.
10. Junyent, F. and V. Chandrasekar, "Radar network characterization," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2007, 2730-2733, July 2007.
11. Donovan, B. C., D. J. McLaughlin, M. Zink, and J. Kurose, "Simulation of minimal infrastructure short-range radar networks," IGARSS 2007, 2734-2737, July 2007.
12. Donovan, B. C., D. J. McLaughlin, M. Zink, and J. Kurose, "OTGsim: Simulation of an off-the-grid radar network with high sensing energy cost," 5th Annual IEEE Comunications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks, 506-514, June 2008.
13. Smith, C. and C. Gervelis, Wireless Network Performance Handbook, 4.12 Frequency Planning, McGraw-Hill, 2003.
14. Macario, R. C. V., Modern Personal Radio Systems, 5 Cellular Radio Planning Methods, IEE Telecommunication Series 33, 1996.
15. McLaughlin, D. J., V. Chandrasekar, K. Droegemeier, S. Frasier, J. Kurose, F. Junyent, B. Philips, S. Cruz-Pol, and J. Colom, "Distributed collaborative adaptive sensing (DCAS) for improved detection, understanding, and predicting of atmospheric hazards," AMS 9th Symposium on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for the Atmosphere, Oceans and Land Surface, P11.3, January 2005.
16. Park, J. G., Design and performance analysis of nonlinear FM waveform for meteorological radar, Master's Thesis, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, 2009.
17. Witte, E. D. and H. D. Griffiths, "Improved ultra-low range sidelobe pulse compression waveform design," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 1448-1450, October 2004.
18. Johnston, J. A. and A. C. Fairhead, "Waveform design and doppler sensitivity analysis for nonlinear FM chirp pulsed," IEE Communications, Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 133, 163-175, April 1986.
19. Puhakka, T., P. Puhakka, and F. O'Hora, "On the performance of NLFM pulse compression with polarimetric doppler radar," Proceedings of the 4th European Radar Conference, 88-91, September 2006.
20. Kollias, P., E. E. Clothiaux, M. A. Miller, B. A. Albrecht, G. L. Stephens, and T. P. Ackerman, "Millimeter-wavelength radars: New frontier in atmospheric cloud and precipitation research," Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 88, 1608-1624, October 2007.
21. Krofli, R. A. and R. D. Kelly, "Meteorological research applications of MM-wave radar," Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, Vol. 59, 105-121, March 1996.
22. Lee, H., S. G. Park, J. W. Jung, and Y. H. Kim, "Ka-band solid-state pulse compression for meteorological observation," Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves, Korea, 2010.
23. Zrnic, B. M., A. J. Zejak, and I. S. Simic, "The eclipsing zone problem in the chirp radar," EUROCON, Trends in Communications, International Conference, Vol. 2, 329-332, July 2001.
24. Majurec, N., Advanced multi-frequency radar: Design, preliminary measurements and particle size distribution retrieval, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2008.
25. Lee, H. and Y. H. Kim, "A 35 GHz narrow beam lens antenna for aircraft mounting collision warning radar," MM-wave Radar & Radiometer Forum, Korea, 2004.