The Phase Angle Gradient Method (PAGM) is a recent technique developed for phase retrieval based on amplitude-only measurement data. Preliminary results have shown that the PAGM is able to perform phase retrieval at 100 MHz with accurate phase information based on measured field components on three planar surfaces. In this paper, a performance evaluation of the PAGM under different configurations is conducted. Phase retrieval based on field measurements for different plane sizes and separations between the planes are studied rigorously. In addition, the PAGM is tested for different initial phase distributions. The results show that the PAGM is capable of retrieving phase information even if the separation between the measurement planes is small in terms of wavelengths.
2. Isernia, T., G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Results for a truncated phaseless near field technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 5, 505-506, Mar. 1993.
3. Isernia, T., G. Leone, and R. Pierri, "Radiation pattern evaluation from near-field intensities on planes," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 701-710, May 1996.
4. Razavi, S. F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A new look at phaseless planar near-field measurements: Limitations, simulations, measurements, and a hybrid solution," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 2, 170-178, Apr. 2007.
5. Yaccarino, R. G. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Phaseless bi-polar planar near-field measurements and diagnostics of array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 574-583, Mar. 1999.
6. Las-Heras, F. and T. K. Sarkar, "A direct optimization approach for source reconstruction and NF-FF transformation using amplitude-only data," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 4, 500-510, Apr. 2002.
7. Hislop, G., G. C. James, and A. Hellicar, "Phase retrieval of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2332-2341, Aug. 2007.
8. Ribiere-Tharaud, N., M. Lambert, and P. Levesque, "Wideband validation of a phase retrieval process applied to infrared planar near-field measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 39-54, 2010.
9. Johansson, M., L. E. Nord, R. Kopecký, A. Fhager, and M. Persson, "Computational methods for modeling of complex sources," COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation, Vol. 27, No. 1, 133-143, 2008.
10. Johansson, M., H. S. Lui, and M. Persson, "Performance evaluation of phase retrieval method based on amplitude-only near-field data," Proc. of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 425-428, Singapore, Dec. 7--10, 2009.
11. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1997.