A geometrically based channel model is proposed to describe radio propagation in an indoor environment with directional antennas. In conventional geometric channel models (GCMs), distribution of scatterers does not take into account the antenna properties. A different approach is taken here for directional channel modeling. The locations of scattering objects are defined using non-Cartesian coordinates comprising an auxiliary geometric parameter ρ and angle-of-arrival (AOA) φ. Subsequently, we present a systematic method to study the influence of antenna pattern on scatterer distribution by applying two heuristic rules, which underpin the connection between the physical wave-propagation process and its canonical GCM. Provided with model preliminaries, important channel parameters including power azimuthal spectrum (PAS), power delay spectrum (PDS), mean effective gain (MEG), and antenna-decoupled PAS are derived and compared against the published data in the existing literature to demonstrate the usefulness of the proposed model.
2. Costanzo, S., I. Venneri, G. Di Massa, and G. Amendola, "Hybrid array antenna for broadband millimeter-wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 173-183, 2008.
3. Wells, J. and Faster than fiber: The future of multi-Gb/s wireless, IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 10, 104-112, May 2009.
4. Yang, H., M. H. A. J. Herben, I. J. A. G. Akkermans, and P. F. M. Smulders, "Impact analysis of directional antennas and multiantenna beamformers on radio transmission," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, 1695-1797, May 2008.
5. Dabin, J. A., A. M. Haimovich, and H. Grebel, "A statistical ultra-wideband indoor channel model and the effects of antenna directivity on path loss and multipath propagation ," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 24, 752-758, Apr. 2006.
6. Manabe, T., Y. Miura, and T. Ihara, "Effects of antenna directivity and polarization on indoor multipath propagation characteristics at 60 GHz ," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 14, 441-448, Apr. 1996.
7. Rappaport, T. S. and D. A. Hawbaker, "Wide-band microwave propagation parameters using circular and linear polarized antennas for indoor wireless channels ," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 40, 240-245, Feb. 1992.
8. Molisch, A. F., H. Asplund, R. Heddergott, M. Steinbauer, and T. Zwick, "The COST259 directional channel model --- Part I: Overview and methodology," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 5, 3421-3433, Dec. 2006.
9. Clarke, R. H., "Multiple diversity theory of mobile radio reception," Bell Syst. Tech. J., 967-1000, Jul./Aug 1968.
10. Vaughan, R., "Spaced directive antennas for mobile communications by the Fourier Transform Method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, 1025-1032, Jul. 2000.
11. Zhang, Y., A. K. Brown, W. Q. Malik, and D. J. Edwards, "High resolution 3-D angle of arrival determination for indoor UWB multipath propagation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 7, 3047-3055, Aug. 2008.
12. Poon, A. and M. Ho, "Indoor multiple-antenna channel characterization from 2 to 8 GHz," Proc. IEEE ICC, Anchorage, AK, 3519-3523, May 2003.
13. Cramer, R. J.-M., R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "An evaluation of the ultra-wide band propagation channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, 561-570, May 2002.
14. Pedersen, K., P. Mogensen, and B. Fleury, "A stochastic model of the temporal and azimuthal dispersion seen at the base station in outdoor propagation environments ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 49, 437-447, Mar. 2000.
15. Liberti, J. C. and T. S. Rappaport, "A geometrically based model for line of sight multipath radio channels," Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., 844-848, Apr. 1996.
16. Jiang, L. and S. Y. Tan, "Geometrically based statistical channel models for outdoor and indoor propagation environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 56, 3587-3593, Nov. 2007.
17. Khan, N. M., M. T. Simsim, and P. B. Rapajic, "A generalized model for the spatial characteristics of the cellular mobile channel," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, 22-37, Jan. 2008.
18. Petrus, P., J. H. Reed, and T. S. Rappaport, "Geometrical-based statistical macrocell channel model for mobile environments," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 50, 495-502, Mar. 2002.
19. Fuhl, J., A. Molisch, and E. Bonek, "Unified channel model for mobile radio systems with smart antennas," IEE Proc. - Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 145, 32-41, Feb. 1998.
20. Amoroso, F. and W. W. Jones, "Geometric model for DSPN satellite reception in the dense scatterer mobile environment," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 41, 450-453, Mar. 1993.
21. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, and V. K. Dubey, "Effect of antenna directivity on angular power distribution at mobile terminal in urban macrocells: A geometric channel modeling approach," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 43, 389-409, 2007.
22. Chen, Y., Z. Zhang, L. Hu, and P. Rapajic, "Geometry-based statistical model for radio propagation in rectangular office buildings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 187-212, 2009.
23. Janaswamy, R., "An indoor pathloss model at 60 GHz based on transport theory," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, 58-60, 2006.
24. Chen, Y. and V. K. Dubey, "Accuracy of geometric channel-modeling methods," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 53, 82-93, Jan. 2004.
25. Abdi, A., J. A. Barger, and M. Kaveh, "A parametric model for the distribution of the angle of arrival and the associated correlation function and power spectrum at the mobile station," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 51, 425-434, May 2002.
26. Ertel, R. B., P. Cardieri, K. W. Sowerby, T. S. Rappaport, and J. H. Reed, "Overview of spatial channel models for antenna array communication systems," IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 5, 10-22, Feb. 1998.
27. Blaunstein, N., D. Katz, D. Censor, A. Freedman, I. Matityahu, and I. Gur-Arie, "Prediction of loss characteristics in built-up areas with various buildings overlay profiles," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, 181-191, Dec. 2001.
28. Taga, T., "Analysis for mean effective gain of mobile antennas in land mobile radio environments ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 39, 117-131, May 1990.
29. Algans, A., K. I. Pedersen, and P. E. Mogensen, "Experimental analysis of the joint statistical properties of azimuth spread, delay spread, and shadow fading ," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, 523-531, Apr. 2002.