A novel artificial transmission line with right/left-handed behavior is presented in this paper. The unit cell of the new artificial line consists of one series and one shunt wire bonded interdigital capacitors. When wire bonded interdigital capacitors are used, the artificial line has a wider frequency band of operation. A combined analytical-graphical design method of the proposed artificial transmission line is also presented. The method has been assessed with the help of an electromagnetic solver based on the method of moments, and experimental work.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005.
3. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
4. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
5. Eleftheriades, G. V., O. Siddiqui, and A. K. Iyer, "Transmission line models for negative refractive index media and associated implementations without excess resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 51-53, 2003.
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, 2004.
7. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004.
8. Casares-Miranda, F. P., P. Otero, E. Marquez-Segura, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Wire bonded interdigital capacitor," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 700-702, 2005.
9. Marquez-Segura, E., F. P. Casares-Miranda, P. Otero, C. Camacho-Penalosa, and J. E. Page, "Analytical model of the wire bonded interdigital capacitor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 2, 748-754, 2006.
10. Page, J. E., E. Marquez-Segura, F. P. Casares-Miranda, J. Esteban, P. Otero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Exact analysis of the wire-bonded multiconductor transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1585-1592, 2007.
11. Goldfarb, M. E. and R. A. Pucel, "Modeling via hole grounds in microstrip," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, No. 6, 135-137, 1991.
12. Hoffmann, R. K., Handbook of Microwave Integrated Circuits, Artech House, Inc., 1987.
13. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Inc., 1996.
14. Silvester, P. and P. Benedek, "Microstrip discontinuity capacitances for right-angle bends, T junctions, and crossings," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 21, No. 5, 341-346, 1973.
15. Easter, B., "The equivalent circuit of some microstrip discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, No. 8, 665-660, 1975.
16. Neale, B. M. and A. Gopinath, "Microstrip discontinuity inductances," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 10, 827-831, 1978.
17. Hammerstad, E., "Computer-aided design of microstrip couplers with accurate discontinuity models," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, 54-56, 1981.