In this paper, a new Yagi-Uda substrate is proposed to obtain radar cross section (RCS) reduction. The Yagi-Uda substrate on which three kinds of metal microstrip lines are etched is put directly on the top of a patch antenna and can reduce RCS sharply by steering the direction of reflecting wave at resonant frequencies. Using a reconfiguration technique, the antenna can radiate without the substrate's effects. When the antenna does not need to work, the Yagi-Uda substrate works to reduce the RCS of the antenna. Besides, the resonant frequencies can be shifted by reconfiguring the Yagi-Uda substrate, so the RCS can be reduced in a broad frequency band.
2. Volakis, J. L., A. Alexanian, and J. M. Lin, "Broadband RCS reduction of rectangular patch by using distributed loading," Electronics Letter, Vol. 28, No. 25, 2322-2323, 1992.
3. Jackson, D. R., "The RCS of a rectangular microstrip patch in a substrate-superstrate geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 1, 2-8, 1990.
4. Wilsen, C. B., et al., "The RCS reduction of microstrip patch antennas," Antennas and Propagation Tenth International Conference, No. 1, 174-177, 1997.
5. Zhao, S. C., B. Z. Wang, and Q. Q. He, "Broadband radar cross section reduction of a rectangular patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 263-275, 2008.
6. Pozar, D. M., "Radar cross-section of microstrip antenna on normally biased ferrite substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 16, 1079-1080, 1989.
7. Yang, H. Y., J. A. Castaneda, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Multifunctional antennas with low RCS," IEEE 1992 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., No. 4, 2240-2243, 1992.
8. Harackiewicz, F. J., "Plane wave scattering from infinite microstrip arrays on ferrite substrates," IEEE 1990 Antennas and Propagat. Symp., No. 1, 417-420, 1990.
9. Pozar, D. M., "RCS reduction for a microstrip antenna using a normally biased ferrite substrate," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 2, No. 5, 196-198, 1992.
10. Collardey, S., et al., "Use of electromagnetic band-gap materials for RCS reduction," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 6, 546-550, 2005.
11. Chambers, B. and A. Tennant, "General analysis of the phase-switched screen, Part 1: The single layer case," Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 149, No. 5, 243-247, 2002.
12. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Experimental phase modulating planar screen," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 11, 1143-1144, 1998.
13. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "A single-layer tuneable microwave absorber using an active FSS," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 1, 46-47, 2004.
14. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Adaptive radar absorbing structure with PIN diode controlled active frequency elective surface," Smart Materials and Structures, No. 13, 122-125, 2004.
15. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "Controlled scattering from PEC surface using PSS boundary," Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 15, 780-781, 2002.
16. Tennant, A. and B. Chambers, "RCS reduction of spiral patch antenna using a PSS boundary," Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 153, No. 4, 248-252, 2005.
17. Izadpanah, H., B. Warneke, R. Loo, and G. Tangonan, "Reconfigurable low power, linght weight wireless system based on the RF MEM switches," Technologies for Wireless Applications, Digest. 1999, IEEE MTT-S Symposium, 175-180, 1999.
18. James, C. M., P. K. Morris, M. L. Lisa, N. P. Lon, T. L. Fountain, and H. Paul, "Switched fragmented aperture antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Sym. IEEE, Vol. 1, 310-313, 2002.