Electrostatic velocity shear Kelvin-Helmholtz instability has been studied for bi-Maxwellian plasma in the presence of perpendicular a.c. electric field by using the method of characteristic solution. The effects of a.c. electric field temperature variation, velocity shear scale length,electron ion temperature ratio and other parameters on growth rate have been discussed.
2. Ganguli, G., Y. C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Electrostatic ion-cyclotron instability caused by a non-uniform electric field perpendicular to external magnetic field," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 28, 761, 1985.
3. Ganguli, G., Y. C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Electron-ion hybrid mode due to transverse velocity shear," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 3D, 156, 1985.
4. Ganguli, G., Y. C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Kinetic theory of electrostatic waves due to transverse velocity shears," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 31, 823, 1988.
5. Nishikawa, K. I., G. Ganguli, Y. C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Simulation of ion-cyclotron like modes in a magnetoplasma with transverse imhomogeneous electric field ," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 31, 1568, 1988.
6. Nishikawa, K. I., G. Ganguli, C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Simulation of electrostatic turbulence due to sheared flows parallel and transverse to the magnetic field ," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 95, 1029, 1990.
7. Pritchett, P . L. and F. V. Coroniti, "The collisionless macroscopic Kelvin-Helmholtz instability. 1. Transverse electrostatic mode," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 89, 168, 1984.
8. Fujimoto, M. and T. Tetasawa, "Ion inertia effect on the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 96, 15725, 1991.
9. Pandey, R. S., K. D. Misra, and A. K. Tripathi, "Kelvin-Helmholtz instability in an anisotropic magnetoplasma in the presence of inhomogeneous D.C. electric field parallel flow velocity shear," Indian J. Radio Space Phys., Vol. 30, 113, 2001.
10. Pandey, R. S., K. D. Misra, and A. K. Tripathi, "Eeneration of ion-cyclotron like wave by parallel flow velocity shear in the presence of inhomogeneous D.C. electric field in an anisotropic magnetoplasma ," Indian J. Radio Space Phys., Vol. 32, 75, 2003.
11. Farrugia, C. J., P. E. Sandholt, and L. F. Burlarge, "Auroral activity associated with Kelvin-Helmholtz instability at the inner edge of the low latitude boundary layer," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 99, 19403, 1994.
12. Opp, N. and A. B. Hassam, "Kelvin-Helmholtz instability in system with large effective larmor radius," Phys. Fluid B, Vol. 3, 885, 1991.
13. Lemons, D. S., D. Winske, and S. P. Gary, "Electrostatic ionvelocity shear instability," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 97, 19381, 1992.
14. Thomas, V. A. and D. Winske, "Kinetic simulations of the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability at the magnetopause," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 98, 11425, 1993.
16. Fujimoto, M. and T. Terasawas, "Anomalous ion mixing with in a MHD scale Kelvin-Helmholtz vortex 2. — Effects of in homogeneity," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 100, 12025, 1995.
17. Mozer, F. S., C. W. Carlson, M. K. Hudson, R. B. Torbert, B. Parady, J. Yatteau, and M. C. Kelley, "Observ ation of paired electrostatic shocks in the polar magnetosphere," Phys. Rev. Lett. , Vol. 38, 292, 1977.
18. Temerin, M., C. Cattell, R. Lysak, M. Hudson, R. Torbert, F. Mozer, R. Sharp, and P. Kintner, "The small scale stucture of electrostatic shocks," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 86, 11278, 1981.
19. Misra, K. D. and R. S. Pandey, "Generation of Whistler emission by injection of hot electrons in the presence of a.c. electric field in the magnetosphere," J. Geophysics. Res., Vol. 100, 19405, 1995.
20. Pandey, R. S., R. P. Pandey, S. M. Karim, A. K. Srivastava, and Hariom, "The electromagnetic ion-cyclotron instability in the presence of a.c. electric field for Lorentzian kappa," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 1, 207, 2008.
21. Huba, J. D., "The Kelvin-Helmholtz instability in inhomogeneous plasma," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 86, 3653, 1981.
22. Romero, H., G. Ganguli, Y. C. Lee, and P. J. Palmadesso, "Electron-ion hybrid instabilities driven by velocity shear in a magnetized plasma," Phys. Fluids B, Vol. 4, 1708, 1992.