After a short presentation of the boundary layer method extended to strongly elongated objects by Andronov and Bouche , the author develops some techniques for deriving explicit formulas for the asymptotic currents on a strongly elongated object of revolution excited by an electromagnetic plane wave propagating in the paraxial direction. The performance of the different techniques are demonstrated by comparing numerical results obtained for the asymptotic currents on an elongated prolate ellipsoid with those obtained by solving the EFIE.
2. Hong, S., "Asymptotic theory of electromagnetic and acoustic diffraction by smooth convex surfaces of variable curvature," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 8, No. 6, 1223, 1967.
3. Voltmer, D. R., Diffraction by double curved convex surfaces, Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1970.
4. Andronov, I. and D. Bouche, "Computation of the second order term for the propagation parameter of creeping waves by boundary layer method," Annales des Telecommunications, Vol. 49, No. 3-4, 199-204, 1994.
5. Andronov, I., "Weakly attenuated waves on elongated bodies," Days of Diffraction, 96, St Petersburg, 1996.
6. Bouche, D., F. Molinet, and R. Mittra, Asymptotic Methods in Electromagnetics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997.
7. Molinet, F., I. Andronov, and D. Bouche, "Asymptotic and hybrid methods in electromagnetics," IEE Electromagnetic Waves Series 51, 2005.
8. Slavyanov, S. Y., W. Lay, and A. Seeger, "The classification of Heun’s equation and its special and confluent cases," Heun Equation, A. Ronveaux (ed.), Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1995.
9. Logan, N. A., General Research in Diffraction Theory, Vol. 1, Technical Report LMSD-288087, Lockheed Missiles and Space Division, 1959.
10. Babich, V. M. and V. S. Buldyrev, Short Wavelength Diffraction Theory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991.
11. Babich, V. M. and N. Y. Kirpichnikova, The Boundary-Layer Method in Diffraction Problems, Springer-Verlag, 1979.
12. Andronov, I., "Waves on the surface of strongly stretched bodies," Journal of Communications Technology & Electronics, Vol. 43, No. 1, 1998.