A new band-pass narrow-band, miniaturized and single resonance within a wide range of frequency band frequency selective surface structure with lumped capacitors suitable for low frequency and narrowband waveguide filter applications is presented. The filter structure consists of five unit cells in one direction with notch square ring elements each consists of two lumped capacitors placed on the transverse plane of the rectangular waveguide. To reduce the simulation time in design procedure, split-field update FDTD method is used for the analysis of the unit cell of the analogous infinite frequency selective surface at different oblique incidence of plane waves to predict the FSS performance in the waveguide. As an application, a waveguide filter has been designed to be used in an easy to fabricate and inexpensive S-band band-pass filter. By using lumped capacitors, several undesirable higher order resonance frequencies near the dominant resonance frequency are eliminated and the waveguide filter dimensions are reduced considerably in one direction compared with the analogous waveguide filter without lumped capacitors.
2. Vahldieck, R. and W. J. R. Hoefer, "Finline and metal insert filters with improved passband separation and increased stopband attenuation," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1333-1339, 1985.
3. Robinson, A. J., R. D. Seager, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Waveguide with resonant array inserts," Electron. Letter, Vol. 28, No. 23, 1992.
4. Langley, R. J., "A dual-frequency band waveguide using FSS," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 3, No. 1, 9-10, 1993.
5. Lockyer, D. S. and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Reconfigurable FSS response from two layers of slotted dipole arrays," Electron. Letter, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1996.
6. Seager, R. D., J. C. Vardaxoglou, and D. S. Lockyer, "Close coupled resonant aperture inserts for waveguide filtering applications," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 11, No. 3, 112-114, 2001.
7. Monorchio, A., G. Manara, U. Serra, G. Marola, and E. Pagana, "Design of waveguide filters by using genetically optimized frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 407-409, 2005.
8. Martynyuk, A. E., J. Lopez, and N. A. Martynyuk, "Active frequency selective surfaces based on loaded ring slot resonators," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 1, 2005.
9. Roden, J. A., S. D. Jedney, M. P. Kesler, J. G. Maloney, and P. H. Harms, "Time-domain analysis of periodic structures at oblique incidence: Orthogonal and non-orthogonal FDTD implementations," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, 420-427, 1998.
10. Picket-May, M. J., A. Taflove, and J. Baron, "FDTD modelling of digital signal propagation in 3D circuits with passive and active loads," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 42, 1514-1523, 1994.
11. Amjadi, S. M., Design and Analysis of Frequency Selective Surfaces with Lumped Elements Using Split-field Update FDTD Method, MSC Thesis, Iran University of Science and Technology, 2007.