A rigorous solution of the homogeneous Maxwell equations for hybrid modes of a microwave cylindrical cavity with a transverse annular slot in the perfectly conducting walls of arbitrary thickness and a plane infinite anisotropic dielectric passing through the slot is constructed based on eigenfunction expansion. In each of the field existence regions (the cavity itself, the interior of a slot and outer space), the field solution is constructed as a superposition of natural piecewise harmonic and exponential modes that allow for reflection and refraction at the plane boundaries of the dielectric.The dependence of the complex wave number of free oscillations of a resonant system on its geometrical parameters and on complex permittivity of the dielectric is investigated. It is shown that a cylindrical cavity with a transverse annular slot is a stable and high-sensitive system for online measuring of dielectric parameters.
2. Rzepecka, M. and M. Hamid, "Automatic digital method for measuring the permittivity of thing dielectric films," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 20, No. 1, 30-37, 1972.
3. Zal'tzman, E. B., V. N. Mal'tzev, A. N. Sivov, and V. I. Tokatly, "On the problem of nondestructive measurement of the dielectric permittivity of films and plates," Radiotechnika & Electronika, Vol. 22, No. 4, 93-95, 1977.
4. Huang, R. F. and D. M. Zhang, "Application of mode matching method to analysis of axisymmetric coaxial discontinuity structures used in permeability and/or permittivity measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 205-230, 2007.
5. Kumar, A., S. Sharma, and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 47-54, 2007.
6. Chung, B.-K., "Dielectric constant measurement for thin material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 239-252, 2007.
7. Moradi, D. and A. Abdipour, "Measuring the permittivity of dielectric materials using STDR approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 357-365, 2007.
8. Kuharchik, P. D., I. A. Titovitsky, A. C. Belyachits, and N. I. Kourilo, "Multi-channel microwave resonator moisture-mass meter of paper web," Summ. Contr. on Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water and Moist Substances, 135-137，TAB-IEEE Press，New York, 1996.
9. Das, S., A. Chakrabarty, and A. Chakraborty, "Characteristics of an offset longitudinal/transverse slot coupled crossed waveguide junction using multiple cavity modeling technique considering the TE00 mode at the slot aperture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 297-316, 2007.
10. Nesterenko, M. V., V. A. Katrich, and Yu. M. Penkin, "Analytical methods in theory of slot-hole coupling of electrodynamics volumes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 174, 2007.
11. Zhao, X. W., X. J. Dang, Y. Zhang, and C. H. Liang, "MLFMA analysis of waveguide arrays with narrow-wall slots," Journal of Eletromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1063-1078, 2007.
12. Kim, J. H. and H. J. Eom, "Radiation from multiple annular slots on a circular cavity," Journal of Eletromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 47-56, 2007.
13. Kuharchik, P. D., V. M. Serdyuk, I. A. Titovitsky, A. C. Belyachits, and N. I. Kourilo, "Theoretical model of calculation of the microwave complex permittivity of paper," Journ. Commun. Technol. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1264-1269, 2001.
14. Kuharchik, P. D., V. M. Serdyuk, I. A. Titovitsky, A. C. Belyachits, and N. I. Kourilo, The microwave complex permittivity of paper: a new theoretical model, Fourth Int. Conf. on Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water and Moist Substances, 62-69, MFPA, Weimar, 2001.
15. Kuharchik, P. D., V. M. Serdyuk, and I. A. Titovitsky, "Hybrid modes of the cylindrical resonator with a transverse ring slot and a plane dielectric," Journ. Commun. Technol. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 5, 483-489, 2001.
16. Kukharchik, P. D., V. M. Serdyuk, and J. A. Titovitsky, "Calculation of electromagnetic fields in cavity resonators with allowance for energy flux through slots," Technical Physics, Vol. 52, No. 4, 482, 2007.
17. Jones, D. S., Acoustic and Electromagnetic Waves, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989.
18. Owyang, G. H., Foundations for Microwave Circuits, Springer, New York, 1989.
19. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan, New York, 1971.
20. Thabet, R. and M. L. Riabi, "Rigorous design and efficient optimization of quarter-wave transformer in metallic circular waveguides using the mode-matching method and the genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 15-33, 2007.
21. Orfanidis, A. P., G. A. Kyriacou, and J. N. Sahalos, "Numerical analysis of cylindrical cavities used for microwave heating, employing the mode matching technique," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1228-1231, 2007.
22. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of longitudinally inhomogeneous waveguides using the Fourier series expansion," Journal of Eletromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1299-1310, 2006.
23. Weinstein, L. A., The Theory of Diffraction and the Factorization Method, Golem Press, Boulder, 1969.
24. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen with a transverse dielectric layer," Technical Physics, Vol. 51, No. 6, 777-785, 2006.
25. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
26. Serdyuk, V. M., "Diffraction of a plane electromagnetic wave by a slot in a conducting screen of arbitrary thickness," Technical Physics, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1076-1083, 2005.
27. Jeffreys, H. and B. Swirles, Methods of Mathematical Physics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1966.
28. Tikhonov, A. N. and V. Y. Arsenin, Solutions of Ill-Posed Problems, Halsted Press, New York, 1977.
29. Watson, W. A., T. Philipson, and P. Oates, Numerical Analysis — The Mathematics of Computing, Vol. 1, Arnold, London, 1970.