Bond wires aging is one of the most common failure modes of insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) module. Real-time monitoring of bond wires status is an important guarantee for the stable operation of power electronics system. In this paper, a method of monitoring the aging state of bond wires in IGBT module based on the spectrum characteristics of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) signature is proposed. Firstly, the turn-off process of IGBT module is analyzed, and the behavior model of IGBT module in the stage of rapid current change is established, which shows that EMR interference in buck converter mainly occurs during the turn-off process of IGBT module. Secondly, the relationship between the aging degree of bond wires and differential mode (DM) interference signal is deduced. Thirdly, the IGBT module is equivalent to a magnetic dipole, which proves that the change of DM interference signal will cause the change of EMR signal, thus demonstrating the feasibility of using EMR signal to monitor bond wires aging. Finally, a buck converter composed of IGBT module is used as the equipment to be tested. The EMR signal is extracted by the near-field probe, and the EMR signal spectrum is used to monitor the aging degree of the bond wires. The experimental results show that with the deepening of the aging degree of bond wires, the spectrum amplitude of EMR signal increases.
2. Chu, C., C. Dong, J. Hu, M. Du, and Z. Ouyang, "Aging monitoring method of bond wires-based on phase-frequency characteristics of differential mode conducted interference signal for IGBT module," IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol. 21, No. 4, 639-646, Dec. 2021.
3. Biswas, R. and A. Routray, "Application of EMR signature in health assessment and monitoring of IGBT-based converters," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 2, 1899-1906, Feb. 2020.
4. Yin, W. J. and T. Wen, "Study on EMI analysis and inhibitory techniques for switching converter devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 85, 59-64, 2019.
5. Bie, X., F. Qin, T. An, J. Zhao, and C. Fang, "Numerical simulation of the wire bonding reliability of IGBT module under power cycling," 2017 18th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology (ICEPT), 1396-1401, 2017.
6. Zhang, J., T. Lu, W. Zhang, X. Bian, and X. Cui, "Characteristics and in uence factors of radiated disturbance induced by IGBT switching," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 34, No. 12, 11833-11842, Dec. 2019.
7. Chu, C., C. Dong, M. Du, X. Zhou, and Z. Ouyang, "Aging monitoring of bond wires based on differential mode conducted interference spectrum for IGBT module," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1274-1283, Aug. 2021.
8. Ales, A., M. A. Cheurfi Belhadj, A. Zaoui, and J.-L. Schanen, "Conducted emission prediction within the network based on switching impedances and EMI sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 85, 103-124, 2019.
9. Yang, Y. and P. Zhang, "A novel bond wire fault detection method for IGBT modules based on turn-on gate voltage overshoot," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 7, 7501-7512, Jul. 2021.
10. Ji, B., V. Pickert, W. Cao, and B. Zahawi, "In situ diagnostics and prognostics of wire bonding faults in IGBT modules for electric vehicle drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 28, No. 12, 5568-5577, Dec. 2013.
11. Lehmann, J., M. Netzel, R. Herzer, and S. Pawel, "Method for electrical detection of bond wire lift-off for power semiconductors," ISPSD'03, 2003 IEEE 15th International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, 2003, Proceedings, 333-336, 2003.
12. Sun, P., C. Gong, X. Du, Q. Luo, H. Wang, and L. Zhou, "Online condition monitoring for both IGBT module and DC-link capacitor of power converter based on short-circuit current simultaneously," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 5, 3662-3671, May 2017.
13. Abari, I., A. Lahouar, M. Hamouda, J. B. H. Slama, and K. Al-Haddad, "Fault detection methods for three-level NPC inverter based on DC-bus electromagnetic signatures," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 7, 5224-5236, Jul. 2018.
14. Meng, J., W. Ma, Q. Pan, L. Zhang, and Z. Zhao, "Multiple slope switching waveform approximation to improve conducted EMI spectral analysis of power converters," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 4, 742-751, Nov. 2006.
15. Zhou, W., X. Pei, Y. Xiang, and Y. Kang, "A new EMI modeling method for mixed-mode noise analysis in three-phase inverter system," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 71535-71547, 2020.
16. Zhao, Y., K. Y. See, S. Li, and Y. Luo, "Fast diagnosis, prediction and signal characterization of radiated electromagnetic interference (EMI) noise," 2008 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1446-1449, 2008.
17. Du, M., J. Xin, H.Wang, and Z. Ouyang, "Aging diagnosis of bond wire using on-state drain-source voltage separation for SiC MOSFET," IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol. 21, No. 1, 41-47, Mar. 2021.
18. Biswas, R., A. Routray, and S. Chakraborty, "A study of electromagnetic radiation during IGBT turn-on and turn-off," 2020 IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Smart Grid and Renewable Energy (PESGRE 2020), 1-4, 2020.