In this paper, wideband and high efficiency millimeter-wave circular Airy orbital angular momentum (OAM) beams, which have desired multiplexing OAM modes, directions and beam numbers, are generated by the proposed three metal layer transmission metasurfaces (TMSs) with size 12λ0×12λ0 based on the Airy-OAM phase superposition method. The measured results indicate non-diffracting propagation distance 31λ0, autofocusing property, high aperture efficiency 13.1%, and wideband 16.8% (28 GHz-33 GHz). The design method can be used for circular Airy OAM beam generation in point-to-point, point-to-multipoint wireless power transmission (WPT), and OAM mode multiplexing communication systems.
2. Liu, K., Y. Cheng, X. Li, and Y. Jiang, "Passive OAM-based radar imaging with single-in-multiple-out mode," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 9, 840-842, Sept. 2018.
3. Qin, F., L. Li, Y. Liu, W. Cheng, and H. Zhang, "A four-mode OAM antenna array with equal divergence angle," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 9, 1941-1945, Sept. 2019.
4. Efremidis, N. K. and D. N. Christodoulides, "Abruptly autofocusing waves," Optics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 23, 4045-4047, Dec. 2010.
5. Hwang, C.-Y., K.-Y. Kim, and B. Lee, "Dynamic control of circular Airy beams with linear optical potentials," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1, 174-181, Feb. 2012.
6. Mohanty, K., S. Mahajan, G. Pinton, M. Muller, and Y. Jing, "Observation of self-bending and focused ultrasound beams in the megahertz range," IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelectr., Freq. Control, Vol. 65, No. 8, 1460-1467, Aug. 2018.
7. Panagiotopoulos, P., D. Papazoglou, A. Couairon, and S. Tzortzakis, "Sharply autofocused ring-Airy beams transforming into non-linear intense light bullets," Nature Commun., Vol. 4, No. 1, Oct. 2013, Art. no. 2622.
8. Zhang, P., J. Prakash, Z. Zhang, M. S. Mills, N. K. Efremidis, D. N. Christodoulides, and Z. Chen, "Trapping and guiding microparticles with morphing autofocusing Airy beams," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 15, 2883-2885, 2011.
9. Kadlimatti, R. and P. V. Parimi, "Millimeter-wave nondiffracting circular Airy OAM beams," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 1, 260-269, Jan. 2019.
10. Varzakas, P., "Optimal radio capacity for hybrid DS/SFH CDMA system in cellular radio," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 440-442, Apr. 2004.
11. Berry, M. V. and N. L. Balazs, "Nonspreading wave packets," Amer. J. Phys., Vol. 47, No. 3, 264-267, 1979.
12. Siviloglou, G. A. and D. N. Christodoulides, "Accelerating nite energy Airy beams," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 8, Apr. 15, 2007.
13. Niu, L., C. Liu, Q. Wu, K. Wang, Z. Yang, and J. Liu, "Generation of one-dimensional terahertz airy beam by three-dimensional printed cubic-phase plate," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, 1-7, Aug. 2017, Art no. 5900407, doi: 10.1109/JPHOT.2017.2712615.
14. Wang, T., et al., "Dual-band terahertz auto-focusing Airy beam based on single-layer geometric metasurfaces with independent complex amplitude modulation at each wavelength," Adv. Theory Simul., Vol. 2, No. 7, Jul. 2019, Art. no. 1900071.
15. Miao, Z.-W., Z.-C. Hao, B.-B. Jin, and Z. N. Chen, "Low-profile 2-D THz Airy beam generator using the phase-only reflective metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 3, 1503-1513, Mar. 2020.
16. Yang, Z., G. Wen, D. Inserra, and Y. Huang, "Propagation range enhancement of truncated Airy beam with antenna array at microwave frequencies," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1-3, May 2018.
17. Miao, Z.-W., Z.-C. Hao, and Q. Yuan, "Generation of one-dimensional Airy beams by a single-layer flexible metasurface at millimeter-wave band," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. (APMC), 645-647, Nov. 2018.
18. Penciu, R.-S., K. G. Makris, and N. K. Efremidis, "Nonparaxial abruptly autofocusing beams," Optics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 5, 1042-1045, Mar. 2016.
19. Liu, K., A. D. Koulouklidis, D. G. Papazoglou, S. Tzortzakis, and X.-C. Zhang, "Enhanced terahertz wave emission from air-plasma tailored by abruptly autofocusing laser beams," Optica, Vol. 3, No. 6, 605-608, Jun. 2016.
20. Zhou, J., Y. Liu, Y. Ke, H. Luo, and S. Wen, "Generation of Airy vortex and Airy vector beams based on the modulation of dynamic and geometric phases," Opt. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 13, 3193-3196, 2015.
21. Huang, Y., X. Li, Z. Akram, H. Zhu, and Z. Qi, "Generation of millimeter-wave nondiffracting Airy OAM beam using a single-layer hexagonal lattice reflectarray," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1093-1097, Jun. 2021.
22. Yu, S. X., et al., "Generating multiple orbital angular momentum vortex beams using metasurface in radio frequency domain," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 108, 2016.
23. Chiang, Y.-J. and T.-J. Yen, "A composite-metamaterial-based terahertz wave polarization rotator with an ultrathin thickness, an excellent conversion ratio, and enhanced transmission," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 102, 011129, 2013.
24. Wei, Z., et al., "Broadband polarization transformation via enhanced asymmetric transmission through arrays of twisted complementary split-ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 221907, 2011.
25. Huang, Y., et al., "Experimental demonstration of microwave two-dimensional Airy beam generation based on single-layer metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 11, 7507-7516, Nov. 2020.
26. Feng, Q. and Y. Lin, "Generation and measurement of a bessel vortex beam carrying multiple orbital-angular-momentum modes through a reflective metasurface in the RF domain," Phys. Rev. Applied, Vol. 15, No. 8, 064044, Jun. 2021.