Recently, the number of electric vehicles (EVs) is increasing due to the declining of oil resources and rising of greenhouse gas emission. However, EVs have not received wide acceptance by consumers due to the limitations of the stored energy and charging problems in batteries. The dynamic or in motion charging solution becomes a suitable choice to solve the battery related issues. Many researchers and vehicle manufacturers are working to develop an efficient charging system for EVs which is based on magnetic emissions to transfer power. These emissions must be evaluated and compared to limits specified by standards (in and outside the vehicle) in order to not cause harmful effects on their environment (humans, pets, electronic devices...). This paper presents an efficient method for modeling electromagnetic emission in near field and sizing a magnetic shield for a wireless power transfer (WPT) system for EVs. A model based on elementary magnetic dipoles is developed in order to obtain the same radiation as the real WPT coil. This model is used to size a magnetic shield which will be placed under the vehicle to protect human body from magnetic emissions. The obtained shielding plate allows to respect the standards of magnetic emission by bringing a decrease of 43 dB to the levels of magnetic fields. This approach is experimentally validated.
2. Caillierez, A., P. A. Gori, D. Sadarnac, A. Jaafari, and S. Loudot, "2.4 kW prototype of on-road Wireless Power Transfer: Modelling concepts and practical implementation," 2015 17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE’15 ECCE-Europe), No. 1, 1-9, 2015.
3. Ruffo, R., V. Cirimele, M. Diana, M. Khalilian, A. La Ganga, and P. Guglielmi, "Sensorless control of the charging process of a dynamic inductive power transfer system with an interleaved nine-phase boost converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 65, No. 10, 7630-7639, 2018.
4. Caillierez, A., "Etude et mise en oeuvre du transfert de l’energie electrique par induction: Application a la route electrique pour vehicules en mouvement," These de doctorat, Universite PARIS-SACLAY, 2016.
5. Boys, J. T., G. A. Covic, and A. W. Green, "Stability and control of inductively coupled power transfer systems," IEE Proc. — Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 147, No. 1, 37, 2000.
6. Covic, G. A., J. T. Boys, M. Budhia, and C. Huang, "Electric vehicles — Personal transportation for the future," World Electr. Veh. J., Vol. 4, 693-704, 2010.
7. Budhia, M., G. Covic, and J. Boys, "A new IPT magnetic coupler for electric vehicle charging systems," IECON Proc. (Industrial Electron. Conf., 2487-2492, 2010.
8. Kadem, K., F. Cheriet, E. Laboure, M. Bensetti, Y. Le Bihan, and M. Debbou, "Sensorless vehicle detection for dynamic wireless power transfer," 2019 21st European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, EPE 2019 ECCE Europe, 1-6, 2019.
9. SAE J2954, "Wireless power transfer for light-duty plug-in/electric vehicles and alignment methodology," SAE Int., 2017.
10. Kadem, K., Y. Le Bihan, M. Bensetti, E. Laboure, A. DIET, and M. Debbou, "Reduction of the shielding effect on the coupling factor of an EV WPT system," 2019 IEEE PELS Workshop on Emerging Technologies: Wireless Power Transfer, WoW 2019, 2019.
11. IEC 61980-1, Electric Vehicle Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) Systems – Part 1: General Requirements, 2019..
12. ISO 19363, "Electrically propelled road vehicles — Magnetic field wireless power transfer — Safety and interoperability requirements,", 2018.
13. IEC 63243, "Interoperability and safety of dynamic Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) for electric vehicles,", 2021.
14. Matthes, R., J. H. Bernhardt, and A. F. McKinlay, International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, Vol. 74, No. 4 Guidelines on Limiting Exposure to Non-ionizing Radiation?: A Reference Book Based on the Guidelines on Limiting Exposure to Non, 1999.
15. ICNIRP, "Guidelines for limiting exposure to electromagnetic fields (100 kHz to 300 GHz)," Health Phys., Vol. 118, No. 5, 483-524, 2020.
16. ICNIRP, "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric and magnetic fields (1 Hz to 100 kHz) — International commission on non-ionizing radiation protection—," Health Phys., Vol. 99, No. 6, 818-836, 2010.
17. Benyoubi, F., "Caracterisation en champ proche des emissions rayonners de boitiers de blindage electromagnetique," These de doctorat, Universite de Nantes, 2018.
18. Benyoubi, F., et al., "An efficient method for modeling the magnetic field emissions of power electronic equipment from magnetic near field measurements," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 59, No. 2, 609-617, 2017.
19. J. R. Regue, M. Ribo, J. M. Garrell, and A. Martın, "A genetic algorithm based method for source identification and far-field radiated emissions prediction from near-field measurements for PCB characterization," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 43, No. 4, 520-530, 2001.
20. Abdelli, W., A. Frikha, X. Mininger, L. Pichon, and H. Trabelsi, "Prediction of radiation from shielding enclosures using equivalent 3-D high-frequency models," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 51, No. 3, 1-4, 2015.
21. Tong, X., D. W. P. Thomas, K. Biwojno, A. Nothofer, P. Sewell, and C. Christopoulos, "Modeling electromagnetic emissions from PCBs in free space using equivalent dipoles," Eur. Microw. Week, No. 10, 280-283, 2009.
22. Orlandi, A., A. P. Duffy, B. Archambeault, G. Antonini, D. E. Coleby, and S. Connor, "Feature Selective Validation (FSV) for validation of Computational Electromagnetics (CEM). Part I — The FSV method," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 3, 460-467, 2006.
23. Rajamani, V., C. F. Bunting, A. Orlandi, and A. Duffy, "Introduction to Feature Selective Validation (FSV)," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 1, No. 1, 601-604, 2006.
24. Orlandi, A., A. P. Duffy, B. Archambeault, G. Antonini, D. E. Coleby, and S. Connor, "Feature Selective Validation (FSV) for validation of Computational Electromagnetics (CEM). Part II — Assessment of FSV performance," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 3, 460-467, 2006.
25. Basyigit, I. B. and M. F. Caglar, "Investigation of the magnetic shielding parameters of rectangular enclosures investigation of the magnetic shielding parameters of rectangular enclosures with apertures at 0 to 3 GHz," Electromagnetics, Vol. 36, No. 7, 434-446, 2016.
26. Basyigit, I. B., M. F. Caglar, and S. Helhel, "Magnetic shielding effectiveness and simulation analysis of metalic enclosures with apertures," 2015 9th Int. Conf. Electr. Electron. Eng. (ELECO), Bursa, Turkey, 328-331, 2015.
27. Feliziani, M. and S. Cruciani, "Mitigation of the magnetic field generated by a Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) system without reducing the WPT efficiency," Int. Symp. Electromagn. Compat. (EMC Eur., 610-615, 2013.
28. Frikha, A., M. Bensetti, L. Pichon, F. Lafon, F. Duval, and N. Benjelloun, "Magnetic shielding effectiveness of enclosures in near field at low frequency for automotive applications," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1481-1490, 2015.
29. Araneo, R. and S. Celozzi, "Exact solution of the low-frequency coplanar loops shielding configuration," IEE Proc. — Sci. Meas. Technol., Vol. 149, No. 1, 37-44, 2002.