In this paper, we present the design and fabrication of a sectoral beam slotted antenna in substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology able to achieve a high roll-off sectoral pattern in the horizontal plane and a very narrow beam in the vertical plane, as required in surveillance applications in the band 76-77 GHz. The proposed antenna is designed and fabricated in multi-layer PCB technology, which allows to integrate both the corporate feeding network and the radiating aperture in the same planar and lightweight device. To achieve a remarkable roll-off (> 5.5 dB/deg) and a reduced ripple (< 1.5 dB), the antenna has been designed by synthesizing a sinc-shaped (uniform) aperture distribution along x-direction (y-direction). The synthesis and optimization of so tapered aperture distributions is not easy to be found in the literature, especially for planar devices. A prototype of such an antenna has been fabricated with a horizontal half-power beamwidth (HPBW) of 30˚, by embedding both the feeding network and the radiating aperture in three stacked dielectric substrates. Measurements of the prototype show a fair agreement with numerical simulations.
2. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011.
3. Ettorre, M., R. Sauleau, and L. Le Coq, "Multi-beam multi-layer leaky-wave SIW pillbox antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1093-1100, 2011.
4. Tekkouk, K., M. Ettorre, L. Le Coq, and R. Sauleau, "SIW pillbox antenna for monopulse radar applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 9, 3918-3927, 2015.
5. Lyu, Y., et al., "Leaky-wave antennas based on noncutoff substrate integrated waveguide supporting beam scanning from backward to forward," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 6, 2155-2164, 2016.
6. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, 2006.
7. Bozzi, M., D. Deslandes, P. Arcioni, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Efficient analysis and experimental verification of substrate-integrated slab waveguides for wideband microwave applications," Intern. Journ. RF Microw., Vol. 15, No. 3, 296-306, 2005.
8. Bozzi, M., L. Perregrini, and K. Wu, "Modeling of conductor, dielectric, and radiation losses in substrate integrated waveguide by the boundary integral-resonant mode expansion method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3153-3161, 2008.
9. Chu, P., et al., "Dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with flexible response," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 3, 824-830, 2017.
10. Pavone, S. C., et al., "A novel approach to low profile scanning antenna design using reconfigurable metasurfaces," 2014 Intern. Radar Conf., 1-4, 2014.
11. Albani, M., G. La Cono, R. Gardelli, and A. Freni, "An efficient full-wave method of moments analysis for RLSA antennas," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2326-2336, 2006.
12. Albani, M., A. Mazzinghi, and A. Freni, "Automatic design of CP-RLSA antennas," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 60, 5538-5547, 2012.
13. Montisci, G., M. Musa, and G. Mazzarella, "Waveguide slot antennas for circularly polarized radiated field," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 619-623, 2004.
14. Tamayo-Dominguez, A., J. Fernandez-Gonzalez, and M. Sierra Castaner, "Low-cost millimeterwave antenna with simultaneous sum and difference patterns for 5G point-to-point communications," IEEE Comm. Magaz., Vol. 56, No. 7, 28-34, 2018.
15. Pavone, S. C., M. Casaletti, and M. Albani, "Automatic design of a CP fan-beam linear slotted array in SIW technology," IEEE Access, Vol. 17, 155977-155985, 2019.
16. Mazzinghi, A., M. Balma, D. Devona, G. Guarnieri, G. Mauriello, M. Albani, and A. Freni, "Large depth of field pseudo-Bessel beam generation with a RLSA antenna," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 62, 3911-3919, 2014.
17. Pavone, S. C., M. Ettorre, M. Casaletti, and M. Albani, "Transverse circular-polarized Bessel beam generation by inward cylindrical aperture distribution," Opt. Expr., Vol. 24, No. 10, 11103-11111, 2016.
18. Pavone, S. C., M. Ettorre, and M. Albani, "Analysis and design of Bessel beam launchers: Longitudinal polarization," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 22, No. 6, 2311-2318, 2016.
19. Pavone, S. C., A. Mazzinghi, A. Freni, and M. Albani, "Comparison between broadband Bessel beam launchers based on either Bessel or Hankel aperture distribution for millimeter wave short pulse generation," Opt. Expr., Vol. 25, No. 16, 19548-19560, 2017.
20. Comite, D., et al., "Propagation of nondiffracting pulses carrying orbital angular momentum at microwave frequencies," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 110, No. 11, 114102, 2017.
21. Mazzinghi, A., A. Freni, A. Agostini, L. Bossio, and M. Albani, "Industrial antenna development for 77 GHz level-crossing monitoring radar," IEEE Antennas Propag. Magaz., Vol. 60, No. 5, 95-106, 2018.
22. Iigusa, K., K. Li, K. Sato, and H. Harada, "Gain enhancement of H-plane sectoral post-wall horn antenna by connecting tapered slots for millimeter-wave communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 5548-5556, 2012.
23. Olver, A. D., et al., Microwave Horns and Feeds, No. 39, IET, 1994.
24. Weily, A. R., K. P. Esselle, T. S. Bird, and B. C. Sanders, "Linear array of woodpile EBG sectoral horn antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2263-2274, 2006.
25. Pavone, S. C., A. Mazzinghi, and M. Albani, "PO-based automatic design and optimization of a millimeter wave sectoral beam shaped reflector," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2020, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2020.2971523.
26. Elliott, R. S., "The design of waveguide-fed slot arrays," Antenna Handbook, chap. in Y. T. Lo, S. W. Lee, Springer, 1988.
27. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010.
28. Sekretarov, S. and D. M. Vavriv, "A wideband slotted waveguide antenna array for SAR systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 165-176, 2010.
29. Mondal, M. and A. Chakraborty, "Parametric study of waveguide slots and analysis of radiation pattern for the design of waveguide array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 4, 93-103, 2008.
30. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.