An all-fiber parametric oscillator which is pumped by a mode-locked Er-doped picosecond fiber laser is proposed for the generation of multi-wavelength picosecond lasing pulses. The length of a fiber-coupled optical delay line is adjusted so that the first signal wavelength is tuned closer to the pump wavelength to facilitate the generation of more lasing wavelengths. 10 orders of cascaded four-wave-mixing processes are achieved and picosecond pulses at 17 lasing wavelengths from 1264.7 nm to 1842.4 nm are demonstrated. To the best of our knowledge, this is the largest number of lasing wavelengths reported so far from a fiber optical parametric oscillator pumped with an ultrashort-pulse laser.
2. Feng, X., C. Lu, H. Tam, and P. Wai, "Reconfigurable microwave photonic filter using multiwavelength erbium-doped fiber laser," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 19, No. 17, 1334-1336, 2007.
3. Marshall, J., G. Stewart, and G. Whitenett, "Design of a tunable L-band multi-wavelength laser system for application to gas spectroscopy," Measurement Science and Technology, Vol. 17, No. 5, 1023, 2006.
4. Chen, D., S. Qin, Y. Gao, and S. Gao, "Wavelength-spacing continuously tunable multiwavelength erbium-doped fibre laser based on DSF and MZI," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 9, 524-525, 2007.
5. Moon, D., U. Paek, and Y. Chung, "Polarization controlled multi-wavelength Er-doped fiber laser using fiber Bragg grating written in few-mode side-hole fiber with an elliptical core," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 14, 5574-5579, 2005.
6. Liu, X. and C. Lu, "Self-stabilizing effect of four-wave mixing and its applications on multiwavelength erbium-doped fiber lasers," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 12, 2541-2543, 2005.
7. Chen, D. and B. Sun, "Multi-wavelength fiber optical parametric oscillator with ultra-narrow wavelength spacing," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 17, 18425-18430, 2010.
8. Luo, Z., W. Zhong, C. Ye, H. Xu, and Z. Cai, "Continuously wavelength-spacing-tunable and idler-output multiwavelength fiber optical parametric oscillator," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, No. 12, 2992-2996, 2011.
9. Sun, B., K. Hu, D. Chen, Y. Wei, S. Gao, and S. He, "Wavelength-spacing-tunable double-pumped multiwavelength optical parametric oscillator based on a Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1937-1942, 2012.
10. Yang, K., J. Jiang, Q. Hao, and H. Zeng, "Multi-color tunable laser source based on fiber optical parametric oscillator," Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics/Pacific Rim, s1254, Optical Society of America, 2017.
11. Sobon, G., A. Duzynska, M. Swiniarski, J. Judek, J. Sotor, and M. Zdrojek, "CNT-based saturable absorbers with scalable modulation depth for Thulium-doped fiber lasers operating at 1.9 μm," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 45491, 2017.
12. Gladush, Y., A. Mkrtchyan, D. Kopylova, A. Ivanenko, B. Nyushkov, S. Kobtsev, A. Kokhanovskiy, A. Khegai, M. Melkumov, M. Burdanova, M. Staniforth, J. Lloyd-Hughes, and A. Nasibulin, "Ionic liquid gated carbon nanotube saturable absorber for switchable pulse generation," Nano Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 5836-5843, 2019.
13. Liang, W., A. Savchenkov, A. Matsko, V. Ilchenko, D. Seidel, and L. Maleki, "Generation of near-infrared frequency combs from a MgF2 whispering gallery mode resonator," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 12, 2290-2292, 2011.
14. Foster, M., J. Levy, O. Kuzucu, K. Saha, M. Lipson, and A. Gaeta, "Silicon-based monolithic optical frequency comb source," Optics Express, Vol. 19, No. 15, 14233-14239, 2011.
15. Herr, T., K. Hartinger, J. Riemensberger, C. Wang, E. Gavartin, R. Holzwarth, M. Gorodetsky, and T. Kippenberg, "Universal formation dynamics and noise of Kerr-frequency combs in microresonators," Nature Photonics, Vol. 6, No. 7, 480, 2012.
16. Ceoldo, D., A. Bendahmane, J. Fatome, G. Millot, T. Hansson, D. Modotto, S. Wabnitz, and B. Kibler, "Multiple four-wave mixing and Kerr combs in a bichromatically pumped nonlinear fiber ring cavity," Optics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 23, 5462-5465, 2016.
17. Leo, F., S. Coen, P. Kockaert, S. Gorza, P. Emplit, and M. Haelterman, "Temporal cavity solitons in one-dimensional Kerr media as bits in an all-optical buffer," Nature Photonics, Vol. 4, No. 7, 471, 2010.