In this paper, a flexible compact antenna array operating in the 3.2-13 GHz which covers the standard Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) frequency range is presented. The design is aimed at integration within Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) based flexible electronics for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. The proposed antenna is printed on a single side of a 50.8 μm Kapton Polyimide substrate and consists of two half-elliptical shaped radiating elements fed by two Coplanar Waveguide (CPW) structures. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed antenna array achieves a broad impedance bandwidth with reasonable isolation performance (S12 < -23 dB) across the operating bandwidth. Furthermore, the proposed antenna exhibits a low susceptibility to performance degradation caused by the effect of bending. The system's isolation performance along with its flexible and thin profile suggests that the proposed antenna is suitable for integration within flexible Internet of Things (IoT) wireless systems.
2. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with half-slot structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 792-795, 2017.
3. Ren, J., D. Mi, and Y. Yin, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with WLAN/UWB bands coverage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 121-129, 2014.
4. Raad, H., H. Al-Rizzo, A. Isaac, and A. Hammoodi, "A compact dual band polyimide based antenna for wearable and flexible telemedicine devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 153-161, 2016.
5. Raad, H., A. Abbosh, H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Flexible and compact AMC based antenna for telemedicine applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 524, 531, Feb. 2013.
6. Khaleel, H. R., H. Al-Rizzo, and D. Rucker, "Compact polyimide-based antennas for flexible displays," IEEE Journal of Display Technology, Vol. 8, No. 2, 91-97, Feb. 2012.
7. Al-Adhami, Y. and E. Ercelebi, "Plasmonic metamaterial dipole antenna array circuitry based on flexible solar cell panel for self-powered wireless systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2365-2371, 2017.
8. Al-Adhami, Y. and E. Ercelebi, "A plasmonic monopole antenna array on flexible photovoltaic panels for further use of the green energy harvesting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 143-152, 2018.
9. Politano, A., L. Viti, and M. Vitiello, "Optoelectronic devices, plasmonics, and photonics with topological insulators," APL Materials, Vol. 5, 035504, 2017.
10. Viti, L., A. Politano, and M. Vitiello, "Black phosphorus nanodevices at terahertz frequencies: Photodetectors and future challenges," APL Materials, Vol. 5, 035602, 2017.
11. Politano, A., M. S. Vitiello, L. Viti, D. W. Boukhvalov, and G. Chiarello, "The role of surface chemical reactivity in the stability of electronic nanodevices based on two-dimensional materials “beyond graphene” and topological insulators," Materials Science (cond-mat.mtrl-sci); Mesoscale and Nanoscale Physics, FlatChem 1, 60-64, 2017.
12. Politano, A., G. Chiarello, R. Samnakay, G. Liu, B. Gurbulak, S. Duman, A. Balandin, and D. Boukhvalov, "The influence of chemical reactivity of surface defects on ambient-stable InSebased nanodevices," Nanoscale, Vol. 8, 1039, 2016.
13. Weinan, Z., P. Saungeun, N. Maruthi, K. Yogeesh, M. McNicholas, R. Seth, and A. Deji, "Black phosphorus flexible thin film transistors at gigahertz frequencies," Nano Letters, Vol. 16, 2301, 2016.
14. Weinan, Z., N. Maruthi, S. Yogeesh, S. Yang, H. Aldave, K. Joon-Seok, S. Sushant, L. Tao, L. Nanshu, and A. Deji, "Flexible black phosphorus ambipolar transistors, circuits and AM demodulator," Nano Letters, Vol. 15, No. (3), 1883-1890, 2015.
15. Akinwande, D., N. Petrone, and J. Hone, "Two-dimensional flexible nanoelectronics," Nat. Commun., Vol. 5, 5678, 2014.
16. Boukhvalov, D., B. Gurbulak, S. Duman, L. Wang, A. Politano, L. Caputi, G. Chiarello, and A. Cupolillo, "The advent of indium selenide: Synthesis, electronic properties, ambient stability and applications," Nanomaterials, Vol. 7, No. 11, 3390, 2017.
7. Wong, K., S. Su, and Y. Kuo, "A printed ultra-wideband diversity monopole antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, 257-259, 2003.
18. See, T. S. P. and Z. N. Chen, "An ultrawideband diversity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1597-1605, 2009.
19. Yoon, H. K., Y. J. Yoon, H. Kim, and C. Lee, "Flexible ultra-wideband polarisation diversity antenna with band-notch function," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1463-1470, 2011.
21. Dupont Kapton Polyimide specification sheet, www2.dupont.com/kapton,.
22. Khaleel, H., H. Al-Rizzo, D. Rucker, and S. Mohan, "A compact polyimide-based UWB antenna for flexible electronics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 564-567, 2012.
23. http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/industrial inkjet print heads/index.html,.
24. Vaughan, R. and J. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987.
25. Hui, H. and H. Lui, "Expression of correlation coefficient for two omindirectional antennas using conventional mutual impedances," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 20, 1177-1178, 2008.
26. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
27. Castel, T., S. Lemey, P. Van Torre, C. Oestges, and H. Rogier, "Four-element ultrawideband textile cross array for dual-spatial and dual-polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 481-484, 2017.
28. Ahmed, M., E. Abdallah, and H. Elhennawy, "Novel wearable eagle shape microstrip antenna array with mutual coupling reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 62, 87-103, 2015.
29. Raj, K., R. Krishna, and N. Kushwaha, "Design of a compact MIMO/diversity antenna for UWB applications with modified TH-like structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 1181-1187, 2016.
30. Zhao, H., F. Zhang, X. Zhang, and C. Wang, "A compact band-notched ultra-wideband spatial diversity antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 9-26, 2014.