Polyomino-based arrays allow to efficiently exploit the available array area with a regular element lattice, yet exhibit a non-uniform distribution of their phase centers, leading to superior electronic scanning capabilities. Yet polyomino arrays are usually implemented via polyomino of equal order, leading to uniform amplitude distribution and poor side lobe levels. In this contribution, a tiling of polyominoes of different order is proposed to attain at the same time good scanning characteristics and side lobe level.
2. Luison, C., A. Landini, P. Angeletti, G. Toso, P. Valle, P. Capece, S. Selleri, and G. Pelosi, "Aperiodic arrays for spaceborne SAR applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2285-2294, May 2012.
3. Vigano, M. C., G. Toso, S. Selleri, C. Magenot, P. Angeletti, and G. Pelosi, "GA optimized thinned hexagonal arrays for satellite applications," IEEE AP-S Symposium, 3165-3168, Honolulu (HI), June 10–15, 2007.
4. Peng, X., W. Tan, Y. Wang, W. Hong, and Y. Wu, "Convolution back-projection imaging algorithm for downward-looking sparse linear array three dimensional synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 287-313, 2012.
5. Liu, Y., P. You, C. Zhu, X. Tan, and Q. H. Liu, "Synthesis of sparse or thinned linear and planar arrays generating reconfigurable multiple real patterns by iterative linear programming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 155, 27-38, 2016.
6. Mailloux, R. J., S. G. Santarelli, T. M. Roberts, and D. Luu, "Irregular Polyomino-shaped subarrays for space-based active arrays," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2009, 9 pages, Article ID 956524, 2009.
7. Rocca, P., R. J. Mailloux, and G. Toso, "GA-based optimization of irregular subarray layouts for wideband phased arrays design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 131-134, 2015.
8. Akiyama, Y., A. Yamashita, M. Kajiura, and H. Aiso, "Combinatorial optimization with Gaussian machines," Proc. Int. Joint Conf. Neural Networks, Vol. 1, 533-540, Washington, 1989.
9. Takefuji, Y. and K. C. Lee, "A parallel algorithm for tiling problems," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 1, No. 1, 143-145, 1990.
10. Gwee, B. H. and M. H. Lim, "Polyominoes tiling by a genetic algorithm," Int. J. Computational Optimization and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 3, 273-291, 1996.
11. Anselmi, N., P. Rocca, M. Salucci, and A. Massa, "Irregular phased array tiling by means of analytic schemata-driven optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4495-4510, Sep. 2017.
12. Tseng, F.-I. and D. K. Cheng, "Optimum scannable planar arrays with an invariant sidelobe level," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 56, No. 11, 1771-1778, Nov. 1968.