The radiation characteristics of a cylindrical array antenna for Multifunction Phased Array Radar (MPAR) and Terminal MPAR (TMPAR) applications are presented. A probe-fed stacked microstrip patch antenna is used for array elements. In calculations, the embedded element pattern of the patch antenna is obtained by simulation of a 5×5 element planar array. The radiation pattern of the TMPAR- and MPAR-sized cylindrical array antenna is calculated using the coherent addition method which is veried with full-wave simulation. For cross-polarization suppression, the array elements are arranged with identical 2×2 element subarrays. The radiation patterns of MPAR and TMPAR cylindrical array antennas with and without image conguration are calculated and compared. It is shown that the low cross-polarization level and azimuthally scan invariant beam characteristics can be achieved by the cylindrical array with image arrangement.
2. Zrnic, D., J. Kimpel, D. Forsyth, A. Shapiro, G. Crain, R. Ferek, J. Heimmer, W. Benner, T. McNellis, and R. Vogt, "Agile-beam phased array radar for weather observations," Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 88, No. 11, 1753, 2007.
3. Zhang, G., Weather Radar Polarimetry, CRC Press, 2016.
4. Azaro, R., F. G. De Natale, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Optimized design of a multifunction/multiband antenna for automotive rescue systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 392-400, 2006.
5. Donelli, M., I. J. Craddock, D. Gibbins, and M. Sarafianou, "A three-dimensional time domain microwave imaging method for breast cancer detection based on an evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 179-195, 2011.
6. Franceschini, G., M. Donelli, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "Inversion of phaseless total field data using a two-step strategy based on the iterative multiscaling approach," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. , No. , –, , Vol. 44, No. 12, 3527-3539, 2006.
7. Donelli, M., "Design of broadband metal nanosphere antenna arrays with a hybrid evolutionary algorithm," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 401-403, 2013.
8. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for wi-fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
9. Doviak, R. and D. Zrnic, "Doppler radar and weather observations academic,", San Diego, Calif, 1993.
10. Karimkashi, S. and G. Zhang, "An optimal design of a cylindrical polarimetric phased array radar for weather sensing," Radio Science, Vol. 47, No. 2, 2012.
11. Lei, L., G. Zhang, R. J. Doviak, and S. Karimkashi, "Comparison of theoretical biases in estimating polarimetric properties of precipitation with weather radar using parabolic reflector, or planar and cylindrical arrays," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 8, 4313-4327, 2015.
12. Zrnic, D., R. Doviak, G. Zhang, and A. Ryzhkov, "Bias in differential reflectivity due to cross coupling through the radiation patterns of polarimetric weather radars," Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Vol. 27, No. 10, 1624-1637, 2010.
13. Zhang, G., R. J. Doviak, D. S. Zrnic, R. Palmer, L. Lei, and Y. Al-Rashid, "Polarimetric phased-array radar for weather measurement: A planar or cylindrical configuration?," Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Vol. 28, No. 1, 63-73, 2011.
14. Lei, L., G. Zhang, and R. J. Doviak, "Bias correction for polarimetric phased-array radar with idealized aperture and patch antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 1, 473-486, 2013.
15. Mishra, P. K., D. R. Jahagirdar, and G. Kumar, "A review of broadband dual linearly polarized microstrip antenna designs with high isolation [education column]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 238-251, 2014.
16. Kumar, G. and K. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
17. Saidimanesh, H., M. S. Sorkherizi, S. Chamaani, and M. Kaboli, "A low cost wide band feed antenna for point-to-point WLAN applications," 2012 IEEE 9th International Conference on Communications (COMM), 167-169, 2012.
18. Saeidi-Manesh, H. and G. Zhang, "Dual-linear polarization phased array antenna cross-polarization suppression using a novel image configuration," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 525-526, 2016.
19., Ludwig and A., "The definition of cross polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, No. 1, 116-119, 1973.
20. Mailloux, R. J., "Phased Array Antenna Handbook," Artech House, Vol. 2, 2005.
21. HFSS, A., 3-d electromagnetic simulation software, Ansoft Corp., Pittsburgh, PA, 2009.
22. Woelder, K. and J. Granholm, "Cross-polarization and sidelobe suppression in dual linear polarization antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 12, 1727-1740, 1997.