A circular sector patch antenna loaded with a periodic metamaterial topology is presented. Several shapes of the circular sector patch are analyzed, and the input impedances and radiation patterns are compared. The topology reveals a nearly constant resonant frequency at zeroth-order resonance (ZOR) while the radiation performance approaches the one of the ZOR full circular patch antenna. Compared with rectangular and circular patch antennas, the sector patch offers more tuning possibilities. A matching network can be easily introduced to enhance the impedance bandwidth. Apart from the ZOR characteristics, this topology can also support a quasi-monopolar pattern at multiple modes. A semicircular patch operating at 4.1 GHz together with an impedance matching network and a dual-band semicircular patch antenna are fabricated and measured.
2. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Wiley, 2002.
3. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
4. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and H. M. R. Nurul, "Design of a broadband alltextile slotted PIFA," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 379-384, Jan. 2012.
5. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFAs," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
6. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
7. Yan, S. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Increasing the NRI bandwidth of dielectric sphere-based metamaterials by coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 1-23, 2012.
8. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, 34-50, Sept. 2004.
9. Caloz, C., T. Itoh, and A. Rennings, "CRLH metamaterial leaky-wave and resonant antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, 25-39, Oct. 2008.
10. Lee, C.-J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 2283-2291, Aug. 2006.
11. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 868-876, Mar. 2007.
12. Rennings, A., T. Liebig, S. Otto, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Highly directive resonator antennas based on composite right/left-handed (CRLH) transmission lines," 2nd International ITG Conference on Antennas, 2007, INICA ’07, 190-194, Mar. 2007.
13. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency and dual-mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 2527-2539, Aug. 2008.
14. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Compact all-textile dual-band antenna loaded with metamaterial inspired structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1486-1489, 2015.
15. Xu, H.-X., G.-M. Wang, and M.-Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
16. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. UgarteMunoz, L. E. Garca-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
17. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
18. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 4329-4333, Nov. 2011.
19. Yan, S. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Radiation pattern reconfigurable wearable antenna based on metamaterial structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2016.2528299.
20. Jang, T., J. Choi, and S. Lim, "Compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth-order resonant antennas with extended bandwidth and high efficiency on vialess single layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 363-372, Feb. 2011.
21. Wang, G. and Q. Feng, "A novel coplanar waveguide feed Zeroth-Order resonant antenna with resonant ring," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 774-777, 2014.
22. Lee, H., D. J. Woo, and S. Nam, "Compact and bandwidth-enhanced asymmetric coplanar waveguide (ACPW) antenna using CRLH-TL and modified ground plane," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 810-813, 2016.
23. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Promising future of metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 2, 39-56, Mar. 2012.
24. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Wearable dual-band composite right/left-handed (CRLH) waveguide textile antenna forWLAN applications," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 424-426, Mar. 2014.
25. Yan, S. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Zeroth-order resonant circular patch antenna based on periodic structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 15, 1432-1439, Dec. 2014.
26. Yan, S., X. Wang, Y. Hu, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Low profile omnidirectional antenna for automatic dependent surveillance --- broadcast (ADS-B) applications," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 22, 1732-1734, Oct. 2015.