Two new 5-port power divider designs capable of controlling the power division ratios between the output ports are proposed. In the rst design, the input power is switchable between two pairs of the output ports. This is implemented by terminating the dividers' two open-ended stubs with varactor diodes. In the second design, the power division is controlled by a single varactor diode that terminates one of the dividers two open-ended stubs. With judicious choice of dc bias voltage, it is possible to realize equal as well as unequal power division ratios between the four output ports. High power division ratios was achieved without the necessity of involving transmission lines with high impedances. It is demonstrated that this design is capable of generating amplitude modulated signals. Simulation and measurement results are presented for the designs to show their power division and matching performance.
2. Ocera, A., P. Farinelli, F. Cherubini, P. Mezzanotte, R. Sorrentino, B. Margesin, and F. Giacomozzi, "A MEMS-reconfigurable power divider on high resistivity silicon substrate," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 34, No. 10, 501-504, 2007.
3. Monti, G., R. De Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Dual-band T-junction with a reconfigurable power ratio," European Microwave Conference, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1219-1222, 2009.
4. Lehmann, T., F. Hettstedt, and R. Knoechel, "Reconfigurable Wilkinson power dividers with minimum number of switches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, 111-112, 2009.
5. Kim, S. and J. Jeong, "Reconfigurable 1:3 power divider using coupled lines," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, 1141-1143, 2009.
6. Fan, H., X. Liang, J. Geng, R. Jin, and X. Zhou, "Reconfigurable unequal power divider with a high dividing ratio," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 8, 514-516, 2015.
7. Hammad, H. F. and Y. M. Antar, "Microstrip quad mode reconfigurable power divider," European Microwave Conference, 223-226, 2014.
8. Tae, H. S., K. S. Oh, H. L. Lee, W. I. Son, and J. W. Yu, "Reconfigurable 1 x 4 power divider with switched impedance matching circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 2, 64-66, 2012.
9. Tae, H. S., H. S. Jang, S. J. Lee, W. S. Lee, and J. W. Yu, "3-mode reconfigurable beam-forming array antenna for mobile WLAN application," European Radar Conference (EuRAD), 385-388, 2012.
10. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, A. H. Ramadan, K. Y. Kabalan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A reconfigurable feeding network," European Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), Vol. 34, No. 10, 1534-1536, 2014.
11. Kim, J. and J. Jeong, "Efficiency enhancement of RF power amplifier using reconfigurable power dividers," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 17, 993-994, 2011.
12. Chung, Y., R. Song, K. T. Kim, D. Ahn, and T. Itoh, "Power routing scheme with dual operating modes: Two-way Wilkinson divider and one-way signal path," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 2, 129-130, 2004.
13. Lim, J. S., S. Y. Eon, and S. Nam, "Power divider with various power dividing ratios," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 22, 1961-1963, 1999.
14. Al-Zayed, A. S. and S. F. Mahmoud, "Seven ports power divider with various power division ratios," Progress In Electromagnetics Resear, Vol. 114, 383-393, 2011.
15. Lim, J.-S., S.-W. Lee, C.-S. Kim, C.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A 4:1 unequal Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, 124-126, 2001.
16. Moradian, M. and H. Oaraizi, "Application of grooved substrates for design of unequal Wilkinson power dividers," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 1, 32-33, 2008.
17. Ko, Y.-J., J.-Y. Park, and J.-U. Bu, "Fully integrated unequal Wilkinson power divider with EBG CPW," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 7, 276-278, 2003.