A scheme for efficiently solving the nonlinear electromagnetic inverse scattering problem on sparse investigation domains is described. The proposed scheme reconstructs the (complex) dielectric permittivity of an investigation domain from fields measured away from the domain itself. Least-squares data misfit between the computed scattered fields, which are expressed as a nonlinear function of the permittivity, and the measured fields is constrained by the L0/L1-norm of the solution. The resulting minimization problem is solved using nonlinear Landweber iterations, where at each iteration a thresholding function is applied to enforce the sparseness-promoting L0/L1-norm constraint. The thresholded nonlinear Landweber iterations are applied to several two-dimensional problems, where the ``measured'' fields are synthetically generated or obtained from actual experiments. These numerical experiments demonstrate the accuracy, efficiency, and applicability of the proposed scheme in reconstructing sparse profiles with high permittivity values.
2. Colton, D. and R. Kress, Inverse Acoustic and Electromagnetic Inverse Acoustic and Electromagnetic Scattering Theory, Springer, 2012.
3. Aster, R. C., B. Borchers, and C. H. Thurber, Parameter Estimation and Inverse Problems, Academic Press, 2013.
4. Bindu, G. N., S. J. Abraham, A. Lonappan, V. Thomas, C. K. Aanandan, and K. T. Mathew, "Active microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 149-169, 2006.
5. Devaney, A. J., Mathematical Foundations of Imaging, Tomography and Wavefield Inversion, Cambridge University Press, 2012.
6. Aftanas, M., "Through-wall imaging with UWB radar system,", Department of Electronics and Multimedia Communications, Technical University of Kosice, 2009.
7. Takagi, T., J. R. Bowler, Y. Yoshida, and Eds., Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation, IOS Press, 1997.
8. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, and M. Pastorino, "A crack identification microwave procedure based on a genetic algorithm for nondestructive testing," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 12, 1812-1820, 2001.
9. Zorgati, R., B. Duchene, D. Lesselier, and F. Pons, "Eddy current testing of anomalies in conductive materials. I. Qualitative imaging via diffraction tomography techniques," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 27, No. 6, 4416-4437, 1991.
10. Chien, W., "Inverse scattering of an un-uniform conductivity scatterer buried in a three-layer structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 1-18, 2008.
11. Cui, T. J., W. C. Chew, A. A. Aydiner, and S. Chen, "Inverse scattering of two-dimensional dielectric objects buried in a lossy earth using the distorted Born iterative method," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 2, 339-346, 2001.
12. Zhang, W., "Two-dimensional microwave tomographic algorithm for radar imaging through multilayered media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 261-270, 2014.
13. Potter, L. C., E. Ertin, J. T. Parker, and M. Cetin, "Sparsity and compressed sensing in radar imaging," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 6, 1006-1020, 2010.
14. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, and R. T. Shin, Theory of Microwave Remote Sensing, Wiley, 1985.
15. Rajan, S. D. and G. V. Frisk, "A comparison between the Born and Rytov approximations for the inverse backscattering," Geophy., Vol. 54, 864-871, 1989.
16. Zhang, Z. Q. and Q. H. Liu, "Two nonlinear inverse methods for electromagnetic induction measurements," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 6, 1331-1339, 2001.
17. Estatico, C., G. Bozza, A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "A two-step iterative inexact-Newton method for electromagnetic imaging of dielectric structures from real data," Inverse Problems, Vol. 21, No. 6, S81, 2005.
18. Wang, Y. M. and W. C. Chew, "An iterative solution of the two-dimensional electromagnetic inverse scattering problem," Int. J. of Imaging Syst. Technol., Vol. 1, 100-108, 1989.
19. Desmal, A. and H. Bagci, "Shrinkage-thresholding enhanced Born iterative method for solving 2D inverse electromagnetic scattering problem," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3878-3884, 2014.
20. Bagci, H., R. Raich, A. E. Hero, and E. Michielssen, "Sparsity-regularized Born iterations for electromagnetic inverse scattering," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2008.
21. Desmal, A. and H. Bagci, "A preconditioned inexact Newton method for nonlinear sparse electromagnetic imaging," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 3, 532-536, 2015.
22. Bozza, G. and M. Pastorino, "An inexact Newton-based approach to microwave imaging within the contrast source formulation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1122-1132, 2009.
23. Estatico, C., M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "A novel microwave imaging approach based on regularization in Banach spaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3373-3381, 2012.
24. Chew, W. C. and Y. M. Wang, "Reconstruction of two-dimensional permittivity distribution using the distorted Born iterative method," IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., Vol. 9, No. 2, 218-225, 1990.
25. Franchois, A. and C. Pichot, "Microwave imaging-complex permittivity reconstruction with a Levenberg-Marquardt method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 203-215, 1997.
26. Abubakar, A., T. M. Habashy, and P. M. Van den Berg, "Nonlinear inversion of multi-frequency microwave fresnel data using the multiplicative regularized contrast source inversion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 193-201, 2006.
27. Zakaria, A., I. Jeffrey, and J. LoVetri, "Full-vectorial parallel finite-element contrast source inversion method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 463-483, 2013.
28. Ping, X. W. and T. J. Cui, "The factorized sparse approximate inverse preconditioned conjugate gradient algorithm for finite element analysis of scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 15-31, 2009.
29. Abubakar, P. M., "Contrast source inversion method: State of art," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 34, 189-218, 2001.
30. Li, Y. and W. Yang, "Image reconstruction by nonlinear Landweber iteration for complicated distributions," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 19, No. 9, 094014, 2008.
31. Hettlich, F., "The Landweber iteration applied to inverse conductive scattering problems," Inverse Problems, Vol. 14, No. 4, 931-947, 1998.
32. Fornasier, M., Theoretical Foundations and Numerical Methods for Sparse Recovery, Walter de Gruyter, 2010.
33. Daubechies, I., M. Defrise, and C. De Mol, "An iterative thresholding algorithm for linear inverse problems with a sparsity constraint," Commun. Pure Appl. Math., Vol. 57, No. 11, 1413-1457, 2004.
34. Wei, S. J., X. L. Zhang, J. Shi, and K. F. Liao, "Sparse array microwave 3-D imaging: Compressed sensing recovery and experimental study," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 161-181, 2013.
35. Landweber, L., "An iteration formula for Fredholm integral equations of the first kind," Amer. J. Math, Vol. 73, No. 3, 615-624, 1951.
36. Hanke, M., A. Neubauer, and O. Scherzer, "A convergence analysis of the Landweber iteration for nonlinear ill-posed problems," Numerische Mathematik, Vol. 72, No. 1, 21-37, 1995.
37. Peterson, A. F., S. L. Ray, and R. Mittra, Computational Methods for Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, New York, 1998.
38. Blumensath, T. and M. E. Davies, "Iterative hard thresholding for compressed sensing," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, No. 3, 265-274, 2009.
39. Wright, S. J., R. D. Nowak, and M. A. Figueiredo, "Sparse reconstruction by separable approximation," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2479-2493, 2009.
40. Kaltenbacher, B., A. Neubauer, and O. Scherzer, Iterative Regularization Methods for Nonlinear Ill-posed Problems, Walter de Gruyter, 2008.
41. Geffrin, J. M., P. Sabouroux, and C. Eyraud, "Free space experimental scattering database continuation: Experimental set-up and measurement precision," Inverse Problems, Vol. 21, No. 6, S117-S130, 2005.
42. Bloemenkamp, R. F., A. Abubakar, and P. M. van den Berg, "Inversion of experimental multi-frequency data using the contrast source inversion method," Inverse Problems, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1611-1622, 2001.