This paper presents a new approach for the realization of RF switches based on the Conductive Bridging Random Access Memory technology (CBRAM). This promising approach allows the realization of RF switches in an extremely simple manner at low cost. For the first time, an RF switch based on a MIM structure is realized with an insulator layer obtained from a commonly used resin deposited by spin coating. The paper reports a RF switch based on CBRAM and demonstrates a device integration onto plastic circuit board (PCB). The realized switch is validated by experimental measurements for a frequency range up to 1.5 GHz with an activation voltage less than 1 V.
2. Valov, I., R. Waser, J. R. Jameson, and M. N. Kozicki, "Electrochemical metallization memories --- Fundamentals, applications, prospects," Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, 254003, 2011.
3. Derhacobian, N., S. C. Hollmer, N. Gilbert, and M. N. Kozicki, "Power and energy perspectives of nonvolatile memory technologies," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, 283-298, 2010.
4. Huang, G. M. and Y. Ho, "Memristors for non-volatile memory and other applications," Advances in Non-Volatile Memory and Storage Technology, Y. Nishi, Ed., Woodhead Publishing, 2014.
5. Shim, Y., G. Hummel, and M. Rais-Zadeh, "RF switches using phase change materials," 2013 IEEE 26th International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 237-240, 2013.
6. Crunteanu, A., A. Mennai, C. Guines, D. Passerieux, and P. Blondy, "Out-of-plane and inline RF switches based on Ge2Sb2Te5 phase-change material," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-4, Tampa Bay, Florida, US, 2014.
7. Kund, M., G. Beitel, C. U. Pinnow, T. Rohr, J. Schumann, R. Symanczyk, K. D. Ufert, and G. Muller, "Conductive bridging RAM (CBRAM): An emerging non-volatile memory technology scalable to sub 20 nm," IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting, IEDM Technical Digest, 754-757, 2005.
8., "The international technology roadmap for semiconductors (ITRS),", 2011, Available: http://www.itrs.net/.
9. Nessel, J. A., R. Q. Lee, C. H. Mueller, M. N. Kozicki, M. Ren, and J. Morse, "A novel nanoionics-based switch for microwave applications," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1051-1054, 2008.
10. Nessel, J. and R. Lee, "Chalcogenide nanoionic-based radio frequency switch,", Patent No. US8410469 B2, USA, 2013.
11. Vena, A., E. Perret, S. Tedjini, C. Vallee, P. Gonon, and C. Mannequin, "A fully passive RF switch based on nanometric conductive bridge," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, Montreal, Canada, 2012.
12. Russo, U., D. Kamalanathan, D. Ielmini, A. L. Lacaita, and M. N. Kozicki, "Study of multilevel programming in programmable metallization cell (PMC) memory," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 56, 1040-1047, 2009.
13. Potember, R., T. Poehler, and D. Cowan, "Electrical switching and memory phenomena in CuTCNQ thin films," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 34, 405-407, 1979.
14. Bernard, Y., V. Renard, P. Gonon, and V. Jousseaume, "Back-end-of-line compatible conductive bridging RAM based on Cu and SiO2," Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 88, No. 5, 814-816, 2011.
15. De Gans, B.-J., L. Xue, U. S. Agarwal, and U. S. Schubert, "Ink-jet printing of linear and star polymers," Macromolecular Rapid Communications, Vol. 26, 310-314, 2005.
16. Vianello, E., C. Cagli, G. Molas, E. Souchier, P. Blaise, C. Carabasse, G. Rodriguez, V. Jousseaume, B. De Salvo, F. Longnos, F. Dahmani, P. Verrier, D. Bretegnier, and J. Liebault, "On the impact of Ag doping on performance and reliability of GeS2-based conductive bridge memories," 2012 Proceedings of the European Solid-State Device Research Conference (ESSDERC), 278-281, 2012.