A new design for a low-reflection inhomogeneous microwave lens based on periodically loaded one-dimensional transmission lines is proposed and experimentally tested. The inhomogeneous effective refractive index of this flat-profile lens is achieved by loading the transmission lines comprising the lens with different inductive elements.
2. Sato, K. and H. Ujiie, "A plate Luneberg lens with the permittivity distribution controlled by hole density," Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part I: Communications), Vol. 85, No. 9, 1-12, 2002.
3. Bor, J., O. Lafond, H. Merlet, P. Le Bars, M. Himdi, and , "Foam based Luneburg lens antenna at 60 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 44, 1-7, 2014.
4. Fuchs, B., L. Le Coq, O. Lafond, S. Rondineau, and M. Himdi, "Design optimization of multishell Luneburg lenses," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 283-289, 2007.
5. Rudolph, S. M., C. Pfeiffer, and A. Grbic, "Design and free-space measurements of broadband, low-loss negative-permeability and negative-index media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 8, 2989-2997, 2011.
6. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A multilayer negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial free-space lens at X-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2989-2997, 2007.
7. Quevedo-Teruel, O., W. Tang, R. C. Mitchell-Thomas, A. Dyke, H. Dyke, L. Zhang, S. Haq, and Y. Hao, "Transformation optics for antennas: Why limit the bandwidth with metamaterials?," Sci. Rep., Vol. 3, 1903, 2013.
8. Alitalo, P., O. Luukkonen, J. Vehmas, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Impedance-matched microwave lens," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 187-191, 2008.
9. Alitalo, P., F. Bongard, J. Mosig, and S. Tretyakov, "Transmission-line lens antenna with embedded source," Proc. 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2009), 625-629, Berlin, Germany, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
10. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley, 2005.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2006.
12. Alitalo, P., O. Luukkonen, L. Jylha, J. Venermo, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Transmission-line networks cloaking objects from electromagnetic fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 416-424, 2008.
13. Pfeiffer, C. and A. Grbic, "A printed, broadband Luneburg lens antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 9, 3055-3059, 2010.
14. Pacheco-Pena, V., V. Torres, M. Navarro-Cia, M. Beruete, M. Sorolla, and N. Engheta, "ε-near-zero graded index structure as a bi-concave metallic lens using stacked rectangular near cut-off waveguides," 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2535-2537, Gothenburg, Sweden, Apr. 8-12, 2013.
15. Vehmas, J., P. Alitalo, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Experimental demonstration of antenna blockage reduction with a transmission-line cloak," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 7, 830-834, 2012.
16. Vehmas, J., P. Alitalo, and S. Tretyakov, "Low-reflection inhomogeneous microwave lens based on loaded transmission lines," 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1585-1589, Gothenburg, Sweden, Apr. 8-12, 2013.
17. Alitalo, P., S. Ranvier, J. Vehmas, and S. Tretyakov, "A microwave transmission-line network guiding electromagnetic fields through a dense array of metallic objects," Metamaterials, Vol. 2, No. 4, 206-212, 2008.
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, Wiley, USA, 2005.
19. Poularikas, A. D., Handbook of Formulas and Tables for Signal Processing, CRC Press LLC, 1999.