A novel dual frequency microstrip antenna with low radar cross section (RCS) is proposed in thispaper. Compared with the traditional microstrip antenna, the novelmicrostrip antenna loaded complementary split-ring resonators (CSRRs) has a low RCS. The novel and traditional dual-frequency microstrip antennas with the center frequency of 3.4 GHz and 5 GHz are designed and fabricated. The results demonstrate that the monostatic RCS of the proposed antenna has beenwell reduced. The RCS reduction at 5 GHz is as much as 17 dB. Besides,in the case of the φ-polarized incident wave, the RCS reduction can be achieved in the angular ranges of -90°≤θ≤+90° in xoz-plane and yoz-plane. At the same time, the CSRRs cause no obvious deterioration in radiation performance.
2. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, S. Gong, T. Hong, and D. Yu, "Printed UWB end-fire Vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-20, 2013.
3. Li, R., Z. Niu, and R. Lin, "A novel method for the RCS reduction of conformal microstrip antenna," Cross Strait Quad-regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 2011, Vol. 1, 516-519, IEEE, 2011.
4. Zhang, J., J. Wang, M. Chen, and Z. Zhang, "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2010.
5. Ding, J., C. Cheng, and C. Guo, "A method for microstrip antenna RCS reduction," Computer Simulation, Vol. 25, No. 9, 130-133, 2008.
6. Li, Y., H. Zhang, Y. Fu, and N. Yuan, "RCS reduction of ridged waveguide slot antenna array using EBG radar absorbing material," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 473-476, 2008.
7. Pendry, J., "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
8. Baee, R., G. Dadashzadeh, and F. Kharakhili, "Using of CSRR and its equivalent circuit model in size reduction of microstrip antenna," Asia-Paci¯c Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2007.
9. Jiang, D., "Compact dual-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with modified CSRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 20, 1250-1252, 2012.
10. Liu, J., "An improved equivalent circuit model for CSRR-based bandpass filter design with even and odd modes," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 4, 193-195, 2010.
11. Baena, J., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
12. Kumar, G. and K. Ray, Broadband MSA, Artech House, 2003.