An improved method of quality guided phase unwrapping (QGPU) is proposed in this work. It extracts the quality map via a median filtered phase derivative variance (MFPDV) that applies a twodimensional median filter on the phase derivative variance (PDV) map, in order to reduce the effect of noise in the background area. In addition, we employed the Indexed Interwoven Linked List (I2L2) structure to store the orderly adjoin list more efficiently and the Two Section Guided Strategy (TSGS) to reduce comparison frequency. The experiments demonstrate that the normalized L1 norm of MFPDV of a brain MR image is only 0.0827, less than that of PDV method at 0.0923. Besides, the computation time of QGPU with I2L2 technique is only 30% of that with sequence structure, and the computation time of QGPU with TSGS is only 65% of that without TSGS. In total, the proposed MFPDV upwrap phase images better than conventional PDV map, and I2L2 and TSGS are efficient strategies to reduce computation time.
2. Zhang, Y., L. Wu, and G. Wei, "A new classifier for polarimetric SAR images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 83-104, 2009.
3. Chin, L., et al., "En face parametric imaging of tissue birefringence using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography," Journal of Biomedical Optics, Vol. 18, No. 6, 066005, 2013.
4. Ma, S., et al., "Investigation of phase error correction for digital sinusoidal phase-shifting fringe projection profilometry," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1107-1118, 2012.
5. Huang, H. and Q. Wang, "A method of filtering and unwrapping SAR interferometric phase based on nonlinear phase model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 67-78, 2014.
6. Fang, S., et al., "Quality-guided phase unwrapping algorithm based on reliability evaluation," Appl. Opt., Vol. 50, No. 28, 5446-5452, 2011.
7. Egidi, N. and P. Maponi, "A comparative study of two fast phase unwrapping algorithms," Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 148, No. 3, 599-629, 2004.
8. Qian, K., S. H. Soon, and A. Asundi, "A simple phase unwrapping approach based on filtering by windowed Fourier transform," Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 37, No. 6, 458-462, 2005.
9. Zhao, M., et al., "Quality-guided phase unwrapping technique: Comparison of quality maps and guiding strategies," Appl. Opt., Vol. 50, No. 33, 6214-6224, 2011.
10. Zhang, S., X. Li, and S. T. Yau, "Multilevel quality-guided phase unwrapping algorithm for real-time three-dimensional shape reconstruction," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, No. 1, 50-57, 2007.
11. Lu, Y. G. and X. P. Zhang, "Minimum L0-norm two dimensional phase unwrapping algorithm based on the derivative variance correlation map," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 48, 308-312, 2006.
12. Zhou, K., M. Zaitsev, and S. Bao, "Reliable two-dimensional phase unwrapping method using region growing and local linear estimation," Magn. Reson. Med., Vol. 62, No. 4, 1085-1090, 2009.
13. Kemao, Q., W. Gao, and H. Wang, "Windowed Fourier-filtered and quality-guided phase-unwrapping algorithm," Appl. Opt., Vol. 47, No. 29, 5420-5428, 2008.
14. Herraez, M. A., et al., "Agglomerative clustering-based approach for two-dimensional phase unwrapping," Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, No. 7, 1129-1140, 2005.
15. Lu, Y., et al., "Weighted-phase-gradient-based quality maps for two-dimensional quality-guided phase unwrapping," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1397-1404, 2012.
16. Wang, H., et al., "A three-dimensional quality-guided phase unwrapping method for MR elastography," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 56, No. 13, 3935-3952, 2011.
17. Liu, S., et al., "Complex-amplitude-based phase unwrapping method for digital holographic microscopy ," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 50, No. 3, 322-327, 2012.
18. Spottiswoode, B. S., et al., "Tracking myocardial motion from cine DENSE images using spatiotemporal phase unwrapping and temporal fitting," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, Vol. 26, No. 1, 15-30, 2007.
19. Strand, J. and T. Taxt, "Performance evaluation of two-dimensional phase unwrapping algorithms," Appl. Opt., Vol. 38, No. 20, 4333-4344, 1999.
20. Zhang, K., et al., "Phase unwrapping for very large interferometric data sets," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 10, 4048-4061, 2011.
21. Zhang, Y., et al., "A hybrid method for MRI brain image classification," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, No. 8, 10049-10053, 2011.
22. Zhang, Y., et al., "A two-level iterative reconstruction method for compressed sensing MRI," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1081-1091, 2011.
23. Nordin, L. E., et al., "Cortical responses to amphetamine exposure studied by pCASL MRI and pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic dose modeling," NeuroImage, Vol. 68, 75-82, 2013.
24. Schaap, K., et al., "Inventory of MRI applications and workers exposed to MRI-related electromagnetic fields in the Netherlands," European Journal of Radiology, Vol. 82, No. 12, 2279-2285, 2013.
25. Kruger, D., et al., "Neural correlates of control operations in inverse priming with relevant and irrelevant masks," NeuroImage, Vol. 64, 197-208, 2013.
26. Zhang, Y. and L. Wu, "An MR brain images classifier via principal component analysis and kernel support vector machine," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 369-388, 2012.
27. Zhang, Y., L. Wu, and S. Wang, "Magnetic resonance brain image classification by an improved tificial bee colony algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 65-79, 2011.
28. Viotti, , M. R., et al., "Processing of noised residual stress phase maps by using a 3D phase unwrapping algorithm," Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 51, No. 7, 890-897, 2013.