To eliminate the average reflectance of antireflection coatings to the greatest extent, a Genetic Programming (GP) algorithm is proposed to design and optimize the graded refractive index distribution profile for broadband omnidirectional antireflection coatings. The proposed GP-index profile in this paper can obtain an extremely low average reflectance of 4.61×10-7% over a wide range of incident angles and wavelengths which is obviously superior to the average reflectance of 8.09×10-3%, 3.29×10-4% and 4.35×10-5% for linear profile, cubic profile and quintic profile. That means, Fresnel reflection almost can be eliminated by the optimal GP-index profile for omnidirectional incidence over a broad wavelength range. Moreover, it is demonstrated the proposed GP-index profile has better robustness, and it still has the best broadband and omnidirectional antireflection characteristics for the TiO2/SiO2 graded-index AR coating. Therefore, the proposed GP-index profile is obviously superior to the conventional linear profile, cubic profile and quintic profile, and the design methodology presented in this paper that uses a genetic programming technique is a quite convenient means to pursue an optimal nonlinear refractive index profile with broadband and omnidirectional antireflection characteristics.
2. Southwell, W. H., "Gradient-index antireflection coatings," Opt. Lett., Vol. 8, 584-586, 1983.
3. Poitras, D. and J. A. Dobrowolski, "Toward perfect antireflection Coatings. 2. Theory," Appl. Opt., Vol. 43, No. 6, 1286-1295, 2004.
4. Chen, M., H. Chang, A. S. P. Chang, S. Lin, J.-Q. Xi, and E. F. Schubert, "Design of optical path for wide-angle gradient-index antireflection coatings," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 6533-6538, 2007.
5. Kennedy, S. R. and M. J. Brett, "Porous broadband antireflection coating by glancing angle deposition," Appl. Opt., Vol. 42, 4573-4579, 2003.
6. Dobrowolski, J. A., D. Poitras, P. Ma, H. Vakil, and M. Acree, "Toward perfect antireflection coatings: Numerical investigation," Appl. Opt., Vol. 41, 3075-3083, 2002.
7. Southwell, W. H., "Pyramid-array surface-relief structures producing antireflection index matching on optical surfaces," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 8, 549-553, 1991.
8. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, H. Y. Chen, N. Li, Q. Shen, and L. M. Zhang, "The microstructure design optimization of negative index metamaterials using genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 95-108, 2011.
9. Panduro, M. A., C. A. Brizuela, L. I. Balderas, and D. A. Acosta, "A comparison of genetic algorithms, particle swarm optimization and the differential evolution method for the design of scannable circular antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 171-186, 2009.
10. Siakavara, K., "Novel fractal antenna arrays for satellite networks: Circular ring Sierpinski carpet arrays optimized by genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 115-138, 2010.
11. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, Q. Shen, Q. W. Liu, and L. M. Zhang, "Optimizing low loss negative index metamaterial for visible spectrum using differential evolution," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 12, 11605-11614, 2011.
12. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, Q. Shen, and L. M. Zhang, "Optimizing low loss silver nanowires structure metamaterial at yellow light spectrum with differential evolution," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 376, No. 4, 252-256, 2012.
13. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, Q. Shen, and L. M. Zhang, "Optimal design of light trapping in thin-film solar cells enhanced with graded SiNx and SiOxNy structure," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 10, 11121-11136, 2012.
14. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, Q. Shen, and L. M. Zhang, "Light trapping design of graphene transparent electrodes for efficient thin-film silicon solar cells," Appl. Opt., Vol. 51, No. 25, 6245-6251, 2012.
15. Koza, J. R., Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection, MIT press, Cambridge, MA, 1992.
16. Tamir, T. and S. Zhang, "Modal transmission-line theory of multilayered grating structures," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 14, No. 5, 914-927, 1996.
17. Savov, S. V. and M. H. A. J. Herben, "Modal transmission-line modeling of propagation of plane radiowaves through multilayer periodic building structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas. Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2244-2251, 2003.
18. Lin, C. H., K. M. Leung, and T. Tamir, "Modal transmission-line theory of three-dimensional periodic structures with arbitrary lattice configurations," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 19, No. 10, 2005-2007, 2002.
19. Savov, S. V. and M. H. A. J. Herben, "Modal transmission-line calculation of shielding effectiveness of composite structures," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 8, 487-488, 2001.
20. Chang, Y. J. and Y. T. Chen, "Broadband omnidirectional antireflection coatings for metal-backed solar cells optimized using simulated annealing algorithm incorporated with solar spectrum," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. S4, A875-A887, 2011.
21. Xi, J. Q., M. F. Schubert, J. K. Kim, E. F. Schubert, M. Chen, S. Y. Lin, W. Liu, and J. A. Smart, "Optical thin-film materials with low refractive index for broadband elimination of Fresnel reflection," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 1, 176-179, 2007.