A Planar elliptic broadband antenna with reconfigurable dual stop-bands performance was successfully designed and performedfor multi-standard wireless communication systems. The proposed antenna consists of a broadband micro-strip fed printed monopole operating in the frequency range 0.75-6 GHz. The notch-band characteristic was obtained by printing two Open Loop Resonators (OLRs) on the front side of the substrate close to the micro-strip feed-line. By adjusting the OLRs parameters, mono or dual band-rejection can be obtained. The passive broadband antenna was optimized to achieve narrow band rejection over the UMTS-band (around 2.1 GHz) and the WiMAX-band (around 3.5 GHz). The agility was produced by loading a varactor diode on each OLR. The major advantages of this structure are the high selectivity of the dismissed-bands, continuous reconfiguration and wide tuning range of the notched bands. Four prototypes were realized and experimentally characterized. The measured tuning rangescorresponding to the notched bands are about 850 MHz (2.25-3.1 GHz) for the rejected UMTS-bandand 570 MHz (3.84-4.41 GHz) for the WiMAX-band. Simulated and measured resultsare presented and discussed.
2. Ben Trad, I., H. Rmili, J. M. Floc'h, and H. Zangar, "Design of planar mono-band rejected UWB CPW-fed antennas for wireless communications," Mediterranean Microwave Symposium, MMS Proceeding, 175-178, 2011.
3. Ben Trad, I., H. Rmili, J. M. Floc'h, and H. Zangar, "Design of a dual-band rejected UWB printed monopole antenna," EuCAP Proceeding, 651-654, 2011.
4. Canneva, F., F. Ferrero, J. M. Ribero, and R. Staraj, "Reconfigurable miniature antenna for DVB-H standard," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, 2010.
5. Lee, M.-J., Y.-S. Kim, and Y. Sung, "Frequency reconfigurable planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for cell-phone applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 27-41, 2012.
6. Ren, Z., W. Li, L. Xu, and X. Shi, "A compact frequency reconfigurable unequal U-slot antenna with a wide tunability range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 9-16, 2013.
7. Aka, M., C. Niamien, A. Sharaiha, S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, "An electrically small frequency reconfigurable antenna for DVB-H," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 245-248, 2012.
8. Cai, Y., Y. J. Guo, and T. S. Bird, "A frequency reconfigurable printed Yagi-Uda dipole antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2905-2912, Jun. 2012.
9. Lee, S. W., Y. Sung, J. Y. Park, S. J. Lee, and B. J. Hur, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna using a PIN diode for mobile handset application," EuCAP Proceeding, 2053-2054, 2013.
10. Artiga, X., J. Perruisseau-Carrier, P. Pardo-Carrera, I. Llamas-Garro, and Z. Brito-Brito, "Design of Vivaldi antennas with embedded reconfigurable stopband filter," EuCAP Proceeding, 2284-2288, 2011.
11. Perruisseau-Carrier, J., P. Pardo-Carrera, and P. Miskovsky, "Modeling, design and characterization of a very wideband slot antenna with reconfigurable band rejection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, Jul. 2010.
12. Ojaroudi, M., G. Ghanbari, N. Ojaroudi, and C. Ghobadi, "Small square monopole antenna for UWB applications with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1061-1064, 2009.
13. Ben Trad, I., J. M. Floc'h, H. Rmili, M. Drissi, and H. Zangar, "Design of a planar reconfigurable band-rejected UWB antenna for multi-standard wireless communication systems," 2012 Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-4, 2012.
14. Hamid, M. R., P. Gardner, P. S. Halland, and F. Ghanem, "Reconfigurable vivaldi antenna with tunable stop band," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, 54-57, 2011.
15. Kalteh, A. A., G. R. Dadash Zadeh, M. Naser-Moghadasi, and B. S. Virdee, "Ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with reconfigurable notch band function," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 108-112, 2012.
16. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, Jul. 2009.
17. Li, Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A CPW-fed circular wide-slot UWB antenna with wide tunable and flexible reconfigurable dual notch bands," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, Article ID 402914, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/402914, 2013.
18., , http://datasheet.octopart.com/SMV1405-040LF-Skyworks-Solutions-datasheet-11039839.pdf.
19. Ben Trad, I., H. Rmili, J.-M. Floc'h, and H. Zangar, "Design of a dual-band rejected UWB printed monopole antenna," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) Proceeding, 651-654, 2011.