In this paper, high resolution range profile-jet engine modulation (HRRP-JEM) analysis is extended by including quantitative estimation of the jet engine location and extraction of the JEM micro-Doppler component. Based on a parametric model of the range cell data, signal eccentricity was introduced for the purpose of determining the jet engine location. Then, complex empirical mode decomposition (CEMD) was employed to extract the embedded JEM component. The signal eccentricity also served as an auxiliary means of CEMD-based micro-Doppler extraction. Application to the simulated HRRP-JEM data demonstrated that the analysis results described in this paper could be useful for advanced radar target recognition with HRRP-JEM.
2. Calvo-Gallego, J. and F. Perez-Martinez, "Simple traffic surveillance system based on range-Doppler radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 343-364, 2012.
3. Felguera-Martin, D., J.-T. Gonzalez-Partida, and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Interferometric ISAR imaging on maritime target applications: Simulation of realistic targets and dynamics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 571-586, 2012.
4. Park, J.-H. and N.-H. Myung, "Enhanced and efficient ISAR image focusing using the discrete Gabor representation in an oversampling scheme," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 227-244, 2013.
5. Tait, P., "Target classification for air defense radars," IET Seminar on High Resolution Imaging and Target Classification, 3-16, London, 2006.
6. Tait, P., Introduction to Radar Target Recognition, IET Radar Sonar and Navigation Series 18, 2005.
7. Bell, M. R. and R. A. Grubbs, "JEM modeling and measurement for radar target identification," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 73-87, 1993.
8. Lim, H., J. H. Park, J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Joint time-frequency analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from aircraft engine models," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1069-1080, 2011.
9. Lim, H., J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Radar cross section measurement of a realistic jet engine structure with rotating parts," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 7, 999-108, 2011.
10. Park, J. H., H. Lim, and N. H. Myung, "Modified Hilbert-Huang transform and its application to measured micro Doppler signatures from realistic jet engine models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 255-268, 2012.
11. Park, J. H., H. Lim, and N. H. Myung, "Analysis of jet engine modulation effect with extended Hilbert-Huang transform," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 215-216, 2013.
12. Lim, H. and N. H. Myung, "High resolution range profile-jet engine modulation analysis of aircraft models," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1092-11102, 2011.
13. Ollila, E., "On the circularity of a complex random variable," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 15, 841-844, 2008.
14. Lilly, J. M. and S. C. Olhede, "Bivariate instantaneous frequency and bandwidth," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 2, 591-603, 2010.
15. Ahrabian, A., N. U. Rehman, and D. Mandic, "Bivariate empirical mode decomposition for unbalanced real-world signals," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 20, No. 3, 245-248, 2013.
16. Rilling, G., P. Flandrin, P. Goncalves, and J. M. Lilly, "Bivariate empirical mode decomposition," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 14, No. 12, 936-939, 2007.
17. Bai, X., M. Xing, F. Zhou, G. Lu, and Z. Bao, "Imaging of micromotion targets with rotating parts based on empirical mode decomposition," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 11, 3514-3523, 2008.
18. Niu, J., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, X. Li, and G. Kuang, "Weighted average frequency algorithm for Hilbert-Huang spectrum and its application to micro-Doppler estimation," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 6, No. 7, 595-602, 2011.
19. Zhou, F., M. Xing, X. Bai, G. Sun, and Z. Bao, "Narrow-band interference suppression for SAR based on complex empirical mode decomposition," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 3, 423-427, 2009.
20. Yang, W., R. Court, P. J. Tavner, and C. J. Crabtree, "Bivariate empirical mode decomposition and its contribution to wind turbine condition monitoring," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 330, 3766-3782, 2011.
21. Li, P., D. Wang, and L. Wang, "Separation of micro-Doppler signals based on time frequency filter and Viterbi algorithm," Image and Video Processing, Vol. 7, No. 3, 593-605, 2011.
22. Stankovic, L., V. Popovic-Bugarin, and P. Radenovic, "Genetic algorithm for rigid body reconstruction after micro-Doppler removal in the radar imaging analysis," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, 1921-1932, 2013.
23. Stankovic, L., I. Djurovic, and T. Thayaparan, "Separation of target rigid body and micro-Doppler effects in ISAR imaging," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 4, 1496-1506, 2006.
24. Huang, N. E., Z. Shen, S. R. Long, M. C. Wu, H. H. Shih, Q. Zheng, N. C. Yen, C. C. Tung, and H. H. Liu, "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis," Proc. Royal. Society A, Vol. 454, No. 1971, 679-699, 1998.
25. Gao, P. C., Y. B. Tao, Z. H. Bai, and H. Lin, "Mapping the SBR and TW-ILDCs to heterogeneous CPU-GPU architecture for fast computation of electromagnetic scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 137-154, 2012.
26. Buddendic, H. and T. F. Eibert, "Bistatic image formation from shooting and bouncing rays simulated current distributions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 1-18, 2011.