In this paper, a novel technique for planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) with broadband circular polarization and pattern diversity is proposed. A defeated ground structure (DGS) has achieved broadband circular polarized (CP) PIFA by using a square branch at the ground corner with arrow-shaped slot. The pattern diversity PIFA system consists of two CP PIFAs placed symmetrically on the diagonal of DGS. Furthermore, the DGS improves port-to-port isolation by using another smaller square branch at the opposite ground corner. Finally, a prototype is fabricated and measured. The measured results agree well with simulation, and show 10-dB matching bandwidth of 16.3% (825-986 MHz), 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth of 15.5% (830-982 MHz), and 25-dB isolation bandwidth of 12.4% (848-968 MHz), which shows suitability for radio-frequency-identification (RFID) application.
2. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
3. Lee, M.-J., Y.-S. Kim, and Y. Sung, "Frequency reconfigurable planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for cell-phone applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 27-41, 2012.
4. Yu, H.-Z. and Q.-X. Chu, "A broadband PIFA with zeroth-order resonator loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 21, 67-77, 2011.
5. Wong, H., K. M. Luk, and C. H. Chan, "Small antennas in wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2109-2121, 2012.
6. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, Wiley, New York, 2005.
7. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook, Radio-frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications, 2nd edition, Wiley, New York, 2004.
8. Tsai, C.-L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broad-band circular polarization operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, 2011.
9. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T and F-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011.
10. Joseph, R. and T. Fukusako, "Bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized square slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 233-250, 2011.
11. Tsai, C.-L., "A coplanar-strip dipole antenna for broadband circular polarization operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 141-157, 2011.
12. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
13. Sylvain, P., S. Robert, and K. Georges, "Planar inverted F antenna circularly polarized for RFID applications," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, Jul. 2012.
14. Wen, L. H., Y. Z. Yin, and Y. Wang, "A novel PIFA antenna for broadband circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 204-208, 2011.
15. Zhang, Y., Z. Ye, and C. Liu, "Estimation of fading coefficients in the presence of multipath propagation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2220-2224, 2009.
16. Tang, Z. and A. S. Mohan, "Characterize the indoor multipath propaga-tion for MIMO communications," Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, APMC 2005, Vol. 4, 4-7, China, Dec. 2005.
17. Gesbert, D., M. Shafi, D. S. Shiu, P. Smith, and A. Naguib, "From theory to practice: An overview of MIMO space-time coded wireless systems," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 21, No. 3, 281-302, Apr. 2003.
18. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-2824, Nov. 2004.
19. Sarrazin, J., Y. Mahe, S. Avrillon, and S. Toutain, "Four co-located antennas for MIMO systems with a low mutual coupling using mode confinement," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S 2008, 1-4, San Diego, CA, Jul. 2008.
20. Fletcher, P. N., M. Dean, and A. R. Nix, "Mutual coupling in multi-element array antennas and its influence on MIMO channel capacity," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 342-344, Feb. 2003.
21. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3074, Nov. 2006.
22. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, and G. Kossiavas, "An efficient two-port antenna-system for GSM/DCS/UMTS multi-mode mobile phones," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 7, 369-370, Mar. 2007.
23. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. L. Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Enhanced two-antenna structures for UMTS diversity terminals," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 93-101, Feb. 2008.
24. Luxey, C. and D. Manteuffel, "Highly-efficient multiple antennas for MIMO-systems," 2010 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 1-3, Mar. 2010.
25. Hsu, C. C., K. H. Lin, H. L. Su, and C. Y. Wu, "Design of MIMO antennas with strong isolation for portable applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI'09, 1-4, Charleston, SC, Jun. 2009.
26. Makinen, R., V. Pynttari, J. Heikkinen, and M. Kivikoski, "Improve-ment of antenna isolation in hand-held devices using miniaturized electromagnetic band-gap structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 10, 2508-2513, Oct. 2007.
27. Chen, S. C., Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008.
28. Lai, X. Z., Z. M. Xie, and X. L. Cen, "Design of dual circularly polarized antenna with high isolation for RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 25-39, 2013.
29. Yao, Y., X. Wang, and X. D. Chen, "Novel diversity/MIMO PIFA antenna with broadband circular polarization for multimode satellite navigation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 65-68, 2012.
30. Liu, Z. Q., Z. Qian, Z. P. Han, and W. Ni, "Design of a wideband dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1-4, 2012.
31. Salonen, I. and P. Vainikainen, "Estimation of signal correlation in antenna arrays," Proc. 12th Int. Symp. Antennas., Vol. 2, 383-386, 2002.
32. Blanch, I., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 705-707, 2003.