A shaped-beam series-fed aperture-coupled stacked patch array antenna at X-band is presented. To improve the array bandwidth, two-port aperture-coupled stacked patch antennas, which are suitable for the series-fed array configuration, are presented as the radiating elements. To offer the pattern design and optimization progresses more flexibility, a uniformly spaced array configuration is applied in the shaped-beam pattern design, instead of the conventional nonuniformly spaced array configuration. The experimental results show that, in a 7.6% bandwidth, the main beam shape of the array maintains in good agreement with the design goal, and the side lobe level maintains lower than -18 dB.
2. Mailloux, R. J., J. Mcllvenna, and N. Kernweis, "Microstrip array technology," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 29, No. 1, 25-38, Jan. 1981.
3. Daniel, J. P., G. Dubost, C. Terret, J. Citerne, and M. Drissi, "Research on planar antennas and arrays: structures Rayonnantes," IEEE Antennas Propaga. Mag., Vol. 35, No. 1, 14-38, Jan. 1993.
4. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas, the Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
5. Hall, P. S. and C. M. Hall, "Coplanar corporate feed effects in microstrip patch array design," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, 180-186, Jan. 1988.
6. Metzler, T., "Microstrip series arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 29, No. 1, 174-178, Jan. 1981.
7. Huang, J., "A parallel-series-fed microstrip array with high efficiency and low cross-polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 5, 230-233, May 1992.
8. Babas, D. G. and J. N. Sahalos, "Synthesis method of series-fed microstrip antenna arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, Jan. 2007.
9. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer microstrip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar front-end," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 3-15, 2008.
10. He, Q.-Q. and B.-Z. Wang, "Design of microstrip array antenna by using active element pattern technique combining with Taylor synthesis method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 63-76, 2008.
11. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Design considerations for low sidelobe microstrip arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1176-1185, Aug. 1990.
12. Das, N. K. and D. M. Pozar, "Analysis and design of series-fed arrays of printed dipole proximity-coupled to a perpendicular microstripline," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 4, 435-444, Apr. 1989.
13. Jones, B. B., F. Y. M. Chow, and A. W. Seeto, "The synthesis of shaped patterns with series-fed microstrip patch arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 6, 1106-1120, Nov. 1982.
14. Gronau, G., H. Moschuring, and I. Wolff, "Microstrip antenna arrays fed from the backside of the substrate," Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., Kyoto, Japan, 1985.
15. Vetharatnam, G., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Design of a microstrip patch antenna array for airborne SAR applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1687-1701, 2006.
16. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstrip line,", Vol. 21, 49-50, Jan. 1985.
17. Wu, C., J.Wang, R. Fralich, and J. Litva, "Analysis of a series-fed aperture-coupled patch array antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, 110-113, Feb. 1991.
18. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "Design of dual-polarized series-fed microstrip arrays with low losses and high polarization purity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1791-1798, May 2005.
19. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "A shaped-beam hybrid coupling microstrip planar array antenna for X-band dual polarization airport surveillance radars," EuCAP 2007: European Conf. on Antennas Propagat., 1-7, Nov. 2007.
20. Guarnieri, G., G. Mauriello, G. B. Gentili, and A. Vallecchi, "Modular hybrid architecture for a large aperture circularly polarized shaped-beam antenna," EuMA: 39th European Microwave Conference, 755-758, 2009.
21. Croq, F. and A. Papiernik, "Stacked slot-coupled printed antenna," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 1, 288-290, Oct. 1991.
22. Zhao, F., K. Xiao, W. J. Feng, S. L. Chai, and J. J. Mao, "Design and manufacture of the wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 37-50, 2009.
23. Faffoul, G. W. and J. L. Hilburn, "Radiation efficiency of an X band waveguide array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., 355-357, Mar. 1974.
24. Selleri, S., M. Mussetta, and P. Pirinoli, "Differentiated Meta-PSO methods for array optimization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 1, 67-75, Jan. 2008.
25. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, L. Xu, and Y. Q. Hei, "Improved GA and PSO culled hybrid algorithm for antenna array pattern synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 461-476, 2008.
26. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 2003.