Due to their very high integration density, echelle grating spectrometers based on silicon nanophotonic platforms have received great attention for their applications in many areas, such as optical sensors, optical communications, and optical interconnections. The design of echelle gratings requires an effective modeling and simulation technique. Though we have used a boundary integral method to accurately analyze the polarization-dependent performance of the echelle grating, it is complicated and time-consuming for the simulation due to its large size and aperiodic structure. In the present paper, we will present a faster simulation method for the grating with twice total internal reflection facets based on a modified Kirchhoff-Huygens principle with the influence of the Goos-Hachen shift considered. On the one hand, the presented simulation results agree well with our previous results obtained by the boundary integral method when the shift can accurately be calculated using a FDTD method. On the other hand, the biggest advantage of the new method over the existing methods is that it can also provide an insightful physical explanation for many numerical results. Finally, we will effectively apply the present method to design an on-chip spectrometer with very low noise floor.
2. Song, J., Y. Z. Li, X. Zhou, and X. Li, "A highly sensitive optical sensor design by integrating a circular-hole defect with an etched diffraction grating spectrometer on an amorphous-silicon photonic chip," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 4, 317-326, 2012.
3. Miller, D. A. B., "Device requirements for optical interconnects to silicon chips," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, 1166-1185, 2009.
4. Butt, H., Q. Dai, T. D. Wilkinson, and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Photonic crystals & metamaterial filters based on 2D arrays of silicon nanopillars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 179-194, 2011.
5. Gemio, J., J. Parron, P. de Paco, J. Sacristan, and A. Baldi, "Improving silicon integrated antennas by substrate micromachining: A study of etching patterns," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 365-378, 2011.
6. Yao, Y. C., M. T. Tsai, P. W. Lu, C. J. Wu, and Y. J. Lee, "Effect of nanostructured architecture on the enhanced optical absorption in silicon thin-film solar cells," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 13, 1798-1807, 2012.
7. Song, J. and J. F. Ding, "Amorphous-Si-based planar grating demultiplexers with total internal reflection grooves," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 905-906, 2009.
8. Brouckaert, J. B., W. Bogaerts, P. Dumon, D. V. Thourhout, and R. Baets, "Planar concave grating demultiplexer fabricated on a nanophotonic silicon-on-insulator platform," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 25, 1269-1271, 2007.
9. Sidick, E., A. Knoesen, and J. N. Mait, "Design and rigorous analysis of high-efficiency array generators," Appl. Opt., Vol. 32, 2599-2605, 1993.
10. Zhang, Z. and W. Dou, "Binary diffractive small lens array for Thz imaging system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 177-187, 2011.
11. Khaleel, S. and C . S. Gurel, "A new narrowband multilayer DWDM optical filter in the order of defected Fibonacci sequence," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 1930-1938, 2012.
12. Frances, J. M., C. Neipp, A. Marquez Ruiz, A. Belendez, and I. Pascual, "Analysis of reflection gratings by means of a matrix method approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 167-183, 2011.
13. Edee, M. K., I. Fenniche, G. Granet, and B. Guizal, "Modal method based on subsectional gegenbauer polynomial expansion for lamellar gratings: Weighting function, convergence and stability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 17-35, 2013.
14. Wu, J. J. and B. R. Shi, "Frequency response of silicon-clad proton-exchanged channel waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 651-659, 2011.
15. Lee, D. J., S. J. Lee, W. S. Lee, and J. W. Yu, "Diffraction by dielectric-loaded multiple slits in a conducting plane: TM case," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 409-424, 2012.
16. Cao, T. and M. J. Cryan, "Circular dichroism in planar nonchiral metamaterial made of elliptical nanoholes array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1275-1282, 2012.
17. Tasinkevych, Y., "Electromagnetic scattering by periodic grating of PEC bars," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 641-650, 2011.
18. Rodriguez-Gonzalez, J. A. and F. J. Ares-Pena, "Design of planar arrays composed by an active dipole above a ground plane with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 265-277, 2011.
19. Baqir, M. A. and P. K. Choudhury, "On the energy flux through a uniaxial chiral metamaterial made circular waveguide under PMC boundary," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 16, 2165-2175, 2012.
20. Dong, W., L. Gao, and C. W. Qiu, "Goos-Hanchen shift at the surface of chiral negative refractive media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 255-268, 2009.
21. Hunsperger, R. G., Integrated Optics: Theory and Technology, 2nd Edition, 89, Springer-Verlag, 2009.
22. Artmann, K., "Berechnung der Seitenversetzung des totalreflektierten Strahles," Annalen der Physik, Vol. 437, 87-102, 1948.
23. Lai, H. M., F. C. Cheng, and W. K. Tang, "Goos-Hanchen effect round and off the critical angle," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 3, 550-557, 1986.
24. Lai, H. M., C. W. Kwok, Y. W. Loo, and B. Y. Xu, "Energy-flux pattern in the Goos-HÄanchen effect," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 62, 7330-7339, 2000.
25. Shi, J. L., C. F. Li, and Q. Wang, "Theory of the Goos-Hanchen displacement in total internal reflection," Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, Vol. 21, 2777-2791, 2007.
26. Kong, Y. D. and Q. X. Chu, "Reduction of numerical dispersion of the six-stages split-step unconditionally-stable FDTD method with controlling parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 175-196, 2012.
27. Xiong, R., B. Chen, Y. F. Mao, and Q. Chen, "Thin-slot formalism for the FDTD analysis of narrow apertures having depth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 1857-1863, 2012.
28. Shi, Z., J. J. He, and S. He, "An analytic method for designing passband flattened DWDM demultiplexers using spatial phase modulation," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, 2314-2321, 2003.
29. Mantawy, A. H., Y. L. Abdel-Magid, and S. Z. Selim, "A simulated annealing algorithm for unit commitment," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 13, 197-204, 1998.