In this paper, we present an UHF-RFID tag mountable on metallic surfaces and capable to operate in the assigned frequency bands in Europe (866-869 MHz) and USA (902-928 MHz). Due to the proximity of these frequency bands, the dual-band functionality can be achieved through a perturbation method applied to a single band tag designed to operate at the intermediate frequency. The tag consists of an integrated circuit, an impedance matching network (where the perturbation method is applied) and a patch antenna. The considered antenna has been chosen because it has high efficiency over metallic surfaces. The whole tag has been analyzed, designed and finally fabricated. The read ranges measured in free-space are 9.5 m and 7.5 m at the European and USA frequency bands, respectively. By placing the tag on a metal surface, the read ranges increase up to 14 m and almost 11 m, respectively.
2. Hunt, V. D., A. Puglia, and M. Puglia, RFID: A Guide to Radio Frequency Identification, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2007.
3. Lai, X.-Z., Z.-M. Xie, and X.-L. Cen, "Design of dual circularly polarized antenna with high isolation for RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 25-39, 2013.
4. Chen, S.-L., S.-K. Kuo, and C.-T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the steel industruy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009.
5. Catarinucci, L., R. Colella, and L. Tarricone, "Smart prototyping techniques for UHF RFID tags: electromagnetic characterization and comparison with traditional approaches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 91-111, 2012.
6. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, L.-R. Zheng, and H. Tenhunen, "Development and analysis of flexible UHF RFID antennas for `green' electronics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 1-15, 2012.
7. Deavours, D. D., "Improving the near-metal performance of UHF-RFID tags," Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. on RFID, 187-194, Orlando, USA, Apr. 2010.
8. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, H. Tenhunen, and L.-R. Zheng, "Performance-optimized quadrate bowtie RFID antennas for cost-effective and eco-friendly industrial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012.
9. Chen, H. D. and Y. H. Tsao, "Low-profile meandered patch antennas for RFID tags mountable on metallic objects," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 118-121, 2010.
10. Chen, H. D. and Y. H. Tsao, "Low-profile PIFA array antennas for UHF band RFID tags mountable on metallic objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1087-1092, 2010.
11. Tiang, J.-J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
12. James, J. R., Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, IEE Electromagnetic Wave Series 28, London, 1989.
13. Loo, C.-H., K. Elmahgoub, F. Yang, A. Z. Elseherbeni, D. Kajfez, A. A. Kishk, T. Elseherbeni, L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, M. Kivikoski, S. Merilampi, and P. Ruuskan, "Chip impedance matching for UHF RFID tag antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 359-370, 2008.
14. Popov, A., S. Dudnikov, and A. Mikhaylov, "Passive UHF RFID tag with increased read range," Proc. European. Microw. Conf., 1106-1108, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Oct. 2008.
15. Bjornien, T., K. Espejo, L. Ukkonen, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and L. Sydanheimo, "Long range metal mountable tag antenna for passive UHF RFID systems," Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. on RFID Tech. and Appl., 202-206, Sitges, Spain, Sept. 2011.
16. Paredes, F., G. Z. Gonzalez, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Dual-band impedance-matching networks based on split-ring resonators for applications in RF identification (RFID)," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 5, 1159-1166, 2010.
17. Godara, L. C., Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications, CRC Press, Florida, 2001.
18. Maci, S., G. Biffi, P. Piazzesi, and C. Salvador, "Dual-band slot-loaded patch antenna," Proc. IEE Microw. Ant. and Prop., Vol. 142, No. 3, 225-232, 1995.
19. Paredes, F., G. Z. Gonzalez, J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Perturbation method based on resonant type metamaterial transmission lines for dual-band matching networks," Proc. Mediterranean Microw. Symp., 1-4, Tangier, Morocco, Nov. 2009.
20. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 19, 197401-197401-4, 2004.
21. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Split ring resonator based left handed coplanar waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett.,, Vol. 83, 4652-4654, 2003.
22. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with Split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
23. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. Marques, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A.G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. Flores, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent circuit models for split ring resonators and complementary split rings resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
24. Rao, K. V. S., P. V. Nikitin, and S. F. Lam, "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, 2005.
25. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. S. Rao, "Theory and measurement of backscattering from RFID tags," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 2, 212-218, 2006.