A satellite-borne frequency selective surface (FSS) for atmospheric sensing application is presented. This brand new type of band-pass filter has an operating frequency at 183 GHz, which is a typical frequency on H2O absorption line. Comprising an ultra-thin gilding layer and a SiO2 substrate layer, this complex periodic component exhibits an extremely low insertion loss (< 0.22 dB) and high isolation (> 20 dB) between closely spaced frequency channels of 45° incident wave. Periodic Method of Moment (PMM) approach is applied to determine the initial geo-metrical parameters of FSS unit cell, and the optimization approach based on the Genetic Algorithm (GA) enables us to obtain the requisite spectral response and transmission characteristics for both TE and TM polarization. The experimental results show that the proposed PMM-GA technique is effective for analyzing space-borne FSS at millimeter wave range.
2. Munk, B. A., "Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design," Wiley, New York, 2000.
3. Zhang, J.-C., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-P. Ma, "Design of narrow band-pass frequency selective surfaces for millimeter wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 287-298, 2009.
4. Nguyen, T. K., T. A. Ho, I. Park, and H. Han, "Full-wavelength dipole antenna on a GaAs membrane covered by a frequency selective surface for a terahertz photomixer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 441-455, 2012.
5. Wu, X., Z.-B. Pei, S.-B. Qu, Z. Xu, J.-Q. Zhang, H. Ma, and X.-H. Wang, "Design and experimental Verification of band-pass Frequency Selective Surface Based on metamaterial Effective Medium Theory," Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 30, No. 5, 469-474, 2011.
6. Zhu, X., W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y.-L. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012.
7. Jian, L., G. Xu, J. Song, H. Xue, D. Zhao, and J. Liang, "Optimum design for improving modulating-effect of coaxial magnetic gear using response surface methodology and genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 297-312, 2011.
8. Monacelli, B., J. B. Pryor, B. A. Munk, D. Kotter, and G. D. Boreman, "Infrared frequency selective surface based on circuit-analog square loop design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 745-752, 2005.
9. Weile, D. S. and E. Michielssen, "Genetic algorithm optimization applied to electromagnetics: A review," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 343-353, 1997.
10. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
11. Biber, S., M. Bozzi, O. Gunther, L. Perregrini, and L. P. Schmidt, "Design and testing of frequency selective surfaces on thick silicon substrate operating at 600 GHz," IEEE Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, European, 2005.
12. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Multiband single-layer frequency selective surface designed by combination of genetic algorithm and geometry-refinement technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2925-2931, 2004.
13. Monorchio, A., G. Manara, U. Serra, G. Marola, and E. Pagana, "Design of waveguide filters by using genetically optimized frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 6, 407-409, 2005.
14. Gingrich, M. A. and D. H. Werner, "Synthesis of low/zero index of refraction metamaterials from frequency selective surfaces using genetic algorithms," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 23, 1266-1267, 2005.
15. Djabery, R., S. Nikmehr, and S. Hosseinzadeh, "Grating effects on sidelobe suppression in MIM plasmonic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 271-280, 2013.
16. Brennan, P. V., A. Narayanan, and R. Benjamin, "Grating lobe control in randomised, sparsely populated MIMO radar arrays," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 6, No. 7, 587-594, 2012.
17. Manara, G., A. Monorchio, and R. Mittra, "Frequency selective surface design based on genetic algorithm," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 17, 1400-1401, 1999.
18. Min, K. I., S. H. Ha, S. W. Lee, and Y. H. Moon, "Transmission loss allocation algorithm using path-integral based on transaction strategy," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 25, No. 1, 195-205, 2010.
19. Raynolds, J. E., B. A. Munk, J. B. Pryor, and R. J. Marhefka, "Ohmic loss in frequency-selective surfaces," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 93, No. 9, 5346-5358, 2003.
20. Su, J., X.-W. Xu, M. He, and K. Zhang, "Integral-equation analysis of frequency selective surfaces using Ewald transformation and lattice symmetry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 249-269, 2011.